On to Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dominik J, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I would like to introduce my self. I new to the forum.

I am a full time artist but I also have a passion for motorcycles.
    http://paintingjourneys.com/

Here is a little bit of what coming up:

I would like to update you on my upcoming journeys and exhibition.
    On Feb 15 I am leaving for Mexico.

Stay tuned to my travel BLOG http://paintingjourneys.blogspot.ca/as I explore Baja & Copper Canyon. This time my means of transportation will be BMW motorcycle R1150 Rockster set up for adventure touring with self sufficient expedition gear and art supplies. I will be caring all my camping gear and art supplies in specially design side panniers. On location, I will be drawing with charcoal and conte on 11" x 14 " Canson paper. The journey will be over 5 weeks and about 9000.00km in distance. All drawings will be available for sale through CANADA HOUSE gallery as I post them on my blog.

You have an option to subscribe to my BLOG and receive updates when I update it from the road.

Selected drawings will be exhibited at CANADA HOUSE gallery during my upcoming solo show " Horizons "on MAY 4th, 2013.

This upcoming show will portray my diverse travels as I capture in my paintings remote and unique landscapes of our world.

You will also see many large studio works from the Yukon and West Coast. There will be also a selection of fresh oil sketches from the Bella Coola area of BC.
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your RR and painting.:clap
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    soooo much inspiration for art work in mexico.
  4. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    OH, I can't wait to see what you do with Copper Canyon!

We're heading back in March, for two weeks:clap

Sleddog
  5. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm in......I am trying to convince my wife that we need a Mexico ride (she's from Mexico, many years ago) but she doesn't think it's safe. She still has lots of relatives there. She thinks if we go down there, for some reason they will try to keep her there, even though she left as a child and is a naturalized US citizen now.
  6. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was married once to Mexican lady ( not any more... ) but she did not have any problems going back to Mexico from Canada. Would not worry about it.
  7. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Drop into the "is me Mexico safe?" thread. You'll find lots of good advice and helpful inmates there.

You might even find some riding buddies from amongst us residents.

I live further south, but I do know the Creel / Copper Canyon area has had some snow recently. You might want to keep that in mind.

As for safety:

1. Watch out for animals. A goat trying to make out with your front wheel at 60 mph can really spoil your day.
    2. Watch out for unmarked "topes" - speed bumps. Also be ready for a road in perfect condition for miles to change to gravel in the middle of a blind corner. You'll need a ladder to climb out of some potholes.
    3. Keep a spare "throw-down" wallet with a few hundred Pesos and hand it over without hesitation. Do not run from bad guys. For crooked cops, feign ignorance.
    4. Try not to ride after dark. #1 & 2 become an even bigger danger. If you have to ride after sunset, try to stay on the toll roads.
    5. Learn some basic Spanish. A few words go a long way.

None of us down here have ever been robbed, but from anecdotal reports, running never works out better than stopping.

This is an incredible country to ride in. Looking forward to your ride report!

IMHO;YMMV
  9. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dominick,

I read your note with interest, and noticed some of your work on Canada House. A friend and I will be in Copper Canyon in the latter half of this month. It would be nice to cross paths.

Safe travels.

Mike
  10. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks Mike, looking forward to visit Copper Canyon. It was on my list for a long time. Have you rode there before ?
  11. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum and I'm looking forward to your RR. Copper Canyon is one of my favorite spots in Mexico.
    Ride safe!
  12. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Canada House Gallery in Banff. I have bought several different pieces there. They have some fine art.
  13. romafras

romafras world traveler

Oddometer:
    hello Dominik, I am as well leaving for Mexico from Victoria BC on the 18th. Couple of days behind you. I will keep an eye open for you. I plan on riding the #101. Maybe we will meet. Have a good one.
  14. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice meeting you the forum. You have a great website !. Hopefully we will meet along the way. Are you riding through Baja ?
  15. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i can understand wanting to ride in Mexico as that is on my list too. I have never been to British columbia but my understanding is that it is nnorth of the US. so that makes it cold and snow covered this time of year i think. So i can not understand how you can ride down. My FLORIDA mine does not understand riding in that kind of cold and conditions. Can't wait for the pics!
  17. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easy, I am on the coast... so we ride for 11 months out of the year. I got palm trees in my garden. But that is just very narrow strip of the coast that is warm. The coast mountains from Oregon, Washington. BC and Alaska get tons of snow.
    BC, Yukon and Alaska is spectacular any time of the year !
  18. romafras

romafras world traveler

Oddometer:
    Yes I am. probably entering Mexico at the Mexicali border. I will ride the US 101 coastal route. Will keep my eyes open for you. Cheers.
  19. Dominik J

Dominik J Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Saralou

Saralou Worldwide Rider

Oddometer:
    July 22, 2012 start RTW from Vancouver, B.C.
    Looking forward to your posts!

Sara