burping my airhead

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by GPzPop, Feb 23, 2011.

1. GPzPop

GPzPop the lurkerizer

Oddometer:
    Hi Inmates all,

On my beloved 1983 R100RS, after the ride, when I shut down, I can toggle the run/stop switch on the right bar, and the cdi will discharge the coils to the spark plug, which ignites the remaining mixture and will softly backfire thru the carbs or pipe, depending on which valve may be open upon the ceasing of motor.

I usually can get one side to "burp", and sometimes I can get both cylinders to "burp"

Anyone else do this? any downside?

--S
  2. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any type of backfiring is not good for the engine.
    Stop feeding it mexican fuel and it may go away. :lol3
  3. Mendodave

Mendodave Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hit the kill switch once on the R80G/S while riding with buddies, flipped it back on and blew a 3' flame out the back, K-BLAM!

quite impressive.

I did it on purpose once while passing some road impediment, he was not happy.

No, it isn't good for the engine.

Mendo
  4. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Burp, eh? This happens occasionally on my 88 GS but I never knew what it was and I hadn't correlated it with the kill switch (I usually don't use it). It's more like a gentle "poof". I don't do it intentionally and I don't know if there's upside or downside to it.

It's not something I'd do intentionally unless someone here says that it'll extend the life of the flux capacitor.
  5. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    No, but it will keep the dragons fed and happy so they don't eat your beancan sensor :evil

I once came up with a story that I had dragons living in my bean can, they sent a poof of spark up to the coil where bigger dragons lived. Those dragons when receiving the signal would then throw a massive poof to the cylinders and make the the bike go. If you didn't keep the dragons happy, bad things happen to the bike :cry

That's my story and I stick to it. :D
  6. DaveBall

DaveBall Long timer

Oddometer:
    fishkens, Is that policitally correct saying that your bike "poofs"? Don't the Brits have another meaning for that. :evil

The Raven, I like your story. In reality, it makes perfect sense. So therefore should not be shared with the inmates here. They will start arguing about it and each one will have to describe exactly what kind, style and colour of dragons are involved. then they will get into the care and feeding of such dragons. Might even start a couple of new threads all about dragons they have known and nutured over the years. :rofl
  7. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, I've got a US spec bike. :lol3
  8. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADVDragon Rider: Old's Cool

My dragon prefers synthetic maidens

No! My dragon prefers dino maidens.

Well, my dragon prefers to have its breather routed back into its intake.

No! my dragon prefers its breather routed into a catch tank made of the skins of Royal Knights.

My dragon has the perfect colors and stripping as intended by the Creator of all Dragons.

No! Your dragon's colors are all wrong. Cant you see that its scales are not proportional? The Creator would never approve.

My dragon wouldn't start this morning.

It's the battery. Always the battery.

No! It's the rotor.

No! It's the bean can.

Bean can! My dragon eats bean cans for breakfast and has run flawlessly for three millenia on its original, never touched points.

It's the battery!

I'm a member of DOA.

DOA is for idjits! I'm a member of DBC!

Nah, that'd never happen. We're too sophisticated for that. :rofl:rofl:rofl
  9. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Explain why, puhleeze...
  10. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    Mostly it's not good for the muffler, which is where the combustion occurs.

But, why are you toggling your kill switch? MSF is 200% wrong in their advice that that's how you stop your motor every time. Your ignition switch is heavy duty and designed for constant use; the kill switch isn't and you'll soon end up with it broken by using it all the time.
  11. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    I noticed that, too, after I added a Dyna Points Booster to my /5. If I turn the ignition switch "ON" within a few minutes of shutting the engine down, sometimes I'll get a soft "poot" (can we say that here?) when I turn the ignition to "OFF" and the Booster fires a plug in a "live" cylinder.
  12. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Installed new performance coils on my XS650. It will do the same, up till several minutes after I shut it down.
  13. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:

Ok then...it's amazing how "engine" morphs into "muffler" when old-wives tales are challenged.

I've been doing it, on purpose, with a 30 year-old bike whenever the opportunuty presents itself, ie: downhill at ~60 mph in 5th, turn off w/kill switch, count to 5...then switch it back on and BOOM!. :evil

This misbehavior has been going on for a long time, and when the exhaust system has been off there have been no indications of unhappiness inside either muffler body. The bike's still quiet, until a booming opportunity arrives. :D

It's also effective for getting the attention of tailgaters. :rofl
  14. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oy. I'd hate to get the attention of tailgaters by turning my engine off...and slowing down...right in front of a tailgater. :eek1
  15. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:

:evil
    .....you still in cahoots w/ Datchew?

:lurk