Death Valley Riding Conditions

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 2on2off, Dec 18, 2009.

1. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I'm seeing a variety of forecasts for this weekend. My local TV news reported snow levels will drop to 3,500 feet this weekend in the Sierra Nevada Mountain range but the internet says only a 30% chance of rain. The Fresno Bee newspaper is forecasting rain Friday through Tuesday.

During Thanksgiving weekend 2009, there was no snow or rain forecast for the Saline Valley and South Pass but on Saturday night that weekend, it snowed on South Pass, Cerro Gordo and in Saline Valley and that was that. I think the snow stayed on South Pass for months after that.

I there are some of you out there with weather forecasting skills for the Saline Valley area, please post up with the best sites to visit for accurate forecasts for this area.
  2. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    It is looking more and more like Cerro Gordo, north/south pass and Hunter Mtn road might all be affected by this weekends storm.

Scruffy and Larryboy will be out there this weekend and next week and I'm hoping to also join in on the fun next week so I would be very interested to get a snow report on Monday on wether this storm was significant or a dud.

Should be some great riding, but it will be cold, next week. Last weekend there was a 20 degree difference between riding at 1,000 ft and 7,000 ft.

The highs for Trona are supposed to be only in the high 50's so that tells you how cold it could be on the passes.
  3. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    quite a bit of snow last night. the passes and steele all got it. around 4500 feet it looks like. :D

going to check out hunter mtn today.
  4. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    I live 100 miles west (as the crow flies) of the intersection of Saline and Hunter Mtn road. From my house, looking east, I can see snow in my local mountains at about 3,000 ft.

Looking forward to hearing what you find out on Hunter Mtn Road.
  5. williamsse

williamsse Seth

Oddometer:
    Probably not much help because the storm hit since I left but...
    Rode to Saline Valley via North Pass on Wednesday, rode Steele Pass through Eureka Dunes to Dyer for fuel on Thursday. Returned home (Reno) via North Pass on Friday. The only snow we saw was an off road detour we took from well above Conway summit, highway 120 from Benton was clear also which has an 8100+ ft pass. Back to work today with a couple inches of snow on the ground. Pining for the desert and hot springs!!!
  6. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    I was checking radar (on-line) the past 2 days and didn't see much go through Inyo County. Maybe I didn't watch it enough.
  7. 2on2off

Oddometer:
  8. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    11/20/10:

It looks like snow has come to Death Valley a week earlier than last year. I live only 100 miles, as the crow flies, due west of the intersection of Saline Valley Road and Hunter Mountain Road, so the stroms usually go right over my house on their way to Death Valley.

This morning my local Sierra Nevada Mountains were covered in snow down to 3,000 feet so I'm guessing Cerro Gordo, South/North Passes and Hunter Mountain Roads received some of the white stuff. Most don't think of Death Valley as a place that gets snow.

Cerro Gordo, east of Lone Pine, is at 8,200 ft. South Pass is over 6,000 ft. Hunter Mtn. Road is over 7,000 ft. North Pass is over 7,000 ft and Rogers Pass, near Ballarat is also over 7,000 ft. All these locations likely received snow this past weekend and it will be great to get feedback from those who rode there this weekend.

I was fortunate enough to ride all these areas a week ago and they were all clear of any snow but that has all changed.

I was in Ballarat in October and it was almost 100 degrees. Last weekend it was still a warm 80 degrees. Today it will be about 52 degrees.
  9. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hunter was epic yesterday! Perfect conditions and hardly any snow. S pass clear and N has miles of ice and light snow. Snow is down to 5200 feet.
  10. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. Any report on Pleasant Canyon or South Park? If there is no ice, I might ride it Wednesday.

What was the temperature on Hunter Mtn yesterday? Bet it was cold.
  11. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a spot for people and 1 bike if anyone wants to come.

I had a last minuite bail out here.

Food already packed so you need tent and bike & straps

Leaving San Jose tomorrow at 4.pm. Camping at the hot springs.

Email martinhur at gmail.com
  12. 2on2off

Oddometer:
    There are now reports of some snow and icy sections on the north side of south pass in Saline Valley. It seems like these icy sections stay in place, once they are there, until March.

It sounds like the north pass of Saline Valley has even more ice than south pass.
  13. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    Anyone tried North or South Pass into Saline in the last week? There is a fellow Katoom rider that is heading to DV this week from San Antonio. I'd like to recommend Cerro Gordo and a visit to the hot springs to him, but with all the storms he may be stuck in the lower valley.
  14. Mojaveboxer

Mojaveboxer Adventurer

Oddometer:

That is where you made off too. Was wondering why I haven't seen any of your Ridgecrest ride reports lately.

As for the weather, best to check in with the Ranger station when he gets there. They will have the latest on the snow levels and pass closures. Even then the reports are sketchy this time of yr, weather changes on you in a heart beat in that area. Just advise him that whatever he does be ready for temps that go from 75 to -20. Its not called DEATH VALLEY FOR NOTHING!

Only active ranger station I know of is Stovepipe Wells.
  15. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    With this series of storms forecast for all this week, snow is going to happen near the tops of Hunter mountain and Cerro Gordo. But south pass itself will just be "dust free".... This moisture is coming in from the South, so pretty warm... Should be a great ride.

12 hour forecast: And 72 hour forecast: Not much below 7000 ft. it looks like.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  16. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Mojaveboxer,

Yeah, for the time being I've traded in this

[​IMG]

for this...

[​IMG]

I'll warn him about the ice on the South pass that can hang in the shadows... but hopefully he'll make it in for a stay at the springs.

Jim,

Wish I was coming with him... the beach and farm roads out here don't hold a candle next to the vastness of the Eastern Sierra and Death Valley.

Hopefully, I'll see you guys at nOOb 2011 in March.
  17. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks like in Corpus Christi, we have to know this

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="60%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3" align="center">[​IMG]
    Special Buoy (Yellow): Shape optional. Used as marks when red and green buoys are inappropriate.</td> <td align="center"> [​IMG]
    Can Buoy (Green): Keep buoy to left going upstream.</td> <td align="center"> [​IMG]
    Nun Buoy (Red): Keep buoy to right going upstream.</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> [​IMG]</td> <td align="center"> [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody></table> Lighted, whistle, bell, horn, or gong buoy —may be red, green, or yellow.

Instead of GPS :lol3

Of course Danny G will have no problems :deal

18. Vorderrad

Vorderrad Vorderrad

Oddometer:
    Tulare, California Front door of the Sierra Nevada
  19. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to hear the latest reports....There should be lots of snow/washouts from the recent storm.
  20. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:

Storm? 85 F and beatiful out here in South Tejas :D

[​IMG]

Have fun out there RR, I wish I could join you out there this Christmas....:freaky

Watch for a viola playing 2 up couple on a KTM....

That's the guy from San Antonio that is heading your way.