990 Adv + Power Commander-V

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kzeb, Jan 12, 2014.

1. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question that I ain't seen any consistent answer to anywhere but I believe alot
    of us are interested in:
    Is it possible to get rid of the "snatchy throttle" syndrome with the PC-V and a dyno tune on the later 990's for real...?

And please don't even mention Tune ECU I ain't got the time or the desire
    to the endless trial and error testing that seems to be the case there...

This is my last attempt for staying with the 990 (unless the Kehin FCR's get a choke any time soon...)

Right now I got a -06 990 S as I bought new,
    It's a super great bike as long as you drive hard, not so good two up... to say the least, the wife won't even concider going for a ride any more ( and me either...it's a bloody pain...:baldy).
    I've had another bike for that before but life have changed and that bike is gone now,
    so now I really need a great offroad bike that can handle a passenger.
    I do not like to get rid of 990's superb capacity/looks and be forced to get the "whale" like 1190R....

So if the PC-V is the cure then there must be a few inmates sitting on the answer, or atleast I hope so :ear

Cheers
  2. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Unsure about PC - V straight up so can't answer that.

.... have you tried a G400 throttle cam?, that will help, won't solve it but I am looking at the 1+1+1 sorta thing.

A good friend of mine in New Zealand has a PC - V and autotune on his SDR and this sorted his out so I assume it will help you.

Best for getting it sorted.
  3. oilrecycler

oilrecycler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have a 07 990. It has a PC3, that did help with the Dyno tune. I want to change cams and put a Rottweiler intake on it so I am just waiting for the PCV and Auto Tune. I didn't want to live with the way KTM left it. And like the idea of doing it myself. I will let you know how it works out.
  4. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Yes I have the G400 cam, got it years ago it helped a tiny bit, but it do nothing for the "hunting" issue which is another hassle....

The early bikes are the worst, so I thought of getting a later one that are supposed to be better out of the box, and PC-V compatible.
    But before I go that route I'd like to be darn ceartain it will work....

Looking forward to your findings oilrecycler and good luck !

:freaky
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    OK, other thing is the o2 sensors?, these do make a difference if disabled but the key is to get rid of the very lean snatchy spot straight off the bottom.
  6. tedmarshall

tedmarshall Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2010 990 with the worst fueling of any bike I've owned. Bucked, surged, died, coughed. Wouldn't run smoothly below 3750 rpm.
    Voila, put on the Power Commander V and the bike was transformed.
    The most important thing for me was having the ability to give the bike throttle in the 3000-3750 rpm range and not having it threaten to die or falter. This was always the case in normal around town driving, especially in left had turns.:eek1

Also, after installing the PCV I could work the bike off-road(gravel whoops) in a higher gear.

Ted
  7. bikepsych

bikepsych Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a PCV on my 2011 990R and had it dyno tuned. It helped a lot, but its still there. My fiance feels the same way about the 990R. She dislikes it a lot but will go if I push the topic. The bike is very responsive but still has that abruptness in the throttle.

BG
  8. Bighat

Bighat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 , it has a smooth throttle...have you done the latest ecu update..do you have good voltage, check the regulator rectifier...and battery...quality fuel, try some race gas...clogged injectors....?
  9. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are currently installing a PCV+autotune+ITG on a 990R, so I guess we will have an opinion soon
  10. Renierd

Renierd Renierd

Oddometer:
    Different topic maybe, but I went 17/45 on the sprockets, and that also improved the snatchy throttle a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  11. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
    The endless trial and error is because it is not being used appropriately. How can you expect to fix an Air/Fuel problem without a wide-band. Secondly, no matter which you use, you need to know a little about tuning an engine.
    Dusty likes this.
  12. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ this

A larger issue than whether or not it will fix the throttle snatch is the fact that PC-V is only available for 09 and up 990's

I have a Bazzaz with autotune for sale. PM me if interested OP.
  13. Bardley

Bardley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have to say that my '08 gets snatchy as the time approaches for chain adjustment, but on the whole, with the throttle cam fitted, and super unleaded, it runs fine.

It will pickup from about 2500 revs now, something that the better fuel has helped with, and overall there's less knock, and its a pleasure to ride.

I've never really found the 'snatch' to make it uncomfortable, you just have to be smooth with it. If its lumpy in a gear then go lower.

I've ridden Ducati twins, Singles, and Buells's. They all have low end V Twin quirks.

A parallel twin or Four is alot smoother and softer to ride.

If you compare a V strom/ Varadero etc to the 990's that KTM build- they are in a completely different tune.

A different sprocket setup may help, but reading the many post both here and on other forums, It seems that the engine Is what it is.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
  14. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    It works on the older bikes. They just don't advertise this because they haven't personally fitted one on. Nor do they care to fit one. Many an 07-08 has been offered up and I guess it doesn't fit into their schedule.

Bazzaz works great too! Have a friend that ran one until he sold his 990.
  15. Doktor O.

Oddometer:

I wish PC was aware of that haha. I called and talked to two different people at PC before I purchased the Bazzaz.
    They told me it would not work and they were not planning to make a PC-V for the 07-08's.

Now I know.

To the OP, sorry for my misinformation, I figured Power Commander would have told me the truth ha.
    The Bazzaz and PC will make it more smooth but it's still not going to feel like a CV carbed bike.
    I ditched it because as stated above Tuneecu is an effective tool if applied properly.

Also I took a trip out west this summer and got some pretty good elevation.
    Silly me... Didn't bring my laptop and man my 990 was a turd up there. Tuned for about 600ft ASL (where I live obviously).. She didn't much care for the conditions around Grand Teton I can tell you that.
  16. kzeb

kzeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well now it seems like it is atleast possible to ease the symtom with a PC-V.but then again some 990's are better than others to begin with...

-mousitsas
    sounds intresting, I hope you will give us a write up of your findings later on. :lurk

-tahoeacr
    this is exactly why I have no intrest in Tune ECU...
    and instead are looking for a "easy" fix that can be done at a tuner,
    cause Tune ECU isn't well known around my part of the world and they do not want to touch it.

-Pistolero
    thanks for the offer! :beer
    you got my interest and maybe it can do the trick but please let us know a bit more how it came out for you on your bike with the Bazzaz and auto tune thingy ?

I'm not looking for a CV kind of response (I've had those on other bikes and driven 950's several times) I only want to be able to make it easier to take a passenger for a spin from time to time which is the only time the symptom is REALY bad, and I can tell you who belives that another gear or a easy steady hand on the throttle can do anything about it when riding two up have no idea what it's like on this bike... you will get a "woodpecker" in the back of your helmet no matter what :brow atleast with my wife on the back :D (sorry darling....:zilla) :arch
  17. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    Well other than eliminating the O2 sensors I really like it. It works extremely well. The best way to describe it would be to say it runs like an 09+ 990. Install is easy and Bazzaz has epic customer service. They will help you with what ever you need as far as tuning and install goes.
  18. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    They told me the same thing:rolleyes. I don't know if it's plug and play but it does work.

-Kzeb Pistolero's Bazazz is the cheapest, easy fix. Let it auto map on 10-12 rides. Stay at the same elevation. Your woodpecker remark had me rolling:rofl. Been there.
  19. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    I really did like how it ran with the Bazzaz on it. I also can not overstate how helpful Bazzaz is.
    PM me if interested Kzeb.
    I'm not sure how shipping would be to you however :puke1... Willing to work with you of course.
    I had an inmate interested who lived Down Under... UPS wanted my arm right above the elbow for a 2lb package :deal....
    I doubt it would be that bad to Europe though.
  20. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a PCV + autotune on my 2010, I feel like it really smoothed it out. IMO.

One thing to know is that they only have the single O2 sensor map setup suggested to fit the 990, I however wanted it to evaluate both cylinders so I bought a autotune for a v-twin. If you go that route you will need to update your map file with a map that recognizes both sensors. Here is the post where link to the map I'm running.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22517003&postcount=24