83 YZ 250 Suspension rebuild ?'s

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by fire1998, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fire1998

fire1998 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How good were the stock forks on shock on an 83 YZ 250. Have the bike stripped and need to figure out what to do about suspension. I can rebuild forks but not shock, never done one before. Do the forks need the Gold Valves for vintage racing? Does the rear need the Gold valve. I called Race Tech and got a quote of $1100 for rebuilding front and rear with gold valves. Thats some expensive suspension!! What have you guys been doing and who would you recommend for work?
    thanks
  2. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can do those yourself its very simple all you need is a seal driver, fork seals, dust wiper and fork bushings.

Do you have a owners manual? If not get a clymer manual.

You can save a lot of cash by doing these thing's yourself and as for gold valves. Just buy them and install them yourself. they come with shim instructions (so i am told).

If you don't have time to do it, go local.

here is the link to the manual http://clymer.com/Book.aspx?bid=559&title=Clymer+Yamaha+YZ100-490+Monoshock+1976-1984
  3. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the shock contact MX Tech. The shock is a Kayaba/KYB 43MM (I think) and if you want to update a lot of later KYB stuff retrofits. If you just want a service,i.e. fresh oil and a charge any good off road shop should have a suspension guy on staff.

On the forks. I have an '80 YZ465 w/'82 forks. I did the Cartridge Emulators and what a difference. The install is doable by anyone w/ a sense of how to drill a hole and deburr it. Well worth the effort for racing.

If you haven't yet upgrade the springs for your weight for starters.
  4. Shocktower

Shocktower Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the golds on my RD, it is simple as pie, the rear shock needs service, find a shop who knows their stuff and get it done, for the front seal driver a 30mm socket worked great for me :evil
  5. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I know this is a very old thread, but if you are around, how did the Suspension turn out?

Thanks