Am I crazy to do South America on an F800R?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by jonpurdy, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Discojon75

Discojon75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally, I'd try to find a cheap, low miles Ninja 250! Read some of the Ninja ride reports. Freaking amazing. Get one under $2k and you won't feel so bad if it breaks so badly you have to abandon it.
  2. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike is outstanding for any trip like others have said. Mod it up for your specific ride and enjoy!
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    You DO know, that our summer is thier winter?

Bike choice?
    F800R does the GS challenge

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DlrkTbbV_bQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luggage protection? Pacsafe locking mesh covers.

[​IMG]

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&activity_id=6
  4. vicmitch

vicmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. CHAPIN

CHAPIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So? Are you on your way?
  6. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    When I was stupid and banging around the middle east on roads that were not, filling up with gas that was -- maybe 70 octane... all that shit. I saw every motorcycle that could be pushed or driven -- Honda, Guzzi. Jawa, Enfield. Then I arrived in Kandahar and pulled up to a motel-thing, looking like I had been shat out by a pig. And there was this young couple on exactly the same BMW I had, same color, everything. Except it was somehow pristine and they were gorgeous and perfect like models and... from Toronto. So, make us proud.
  8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    If I were to ride South America again, I'd do it on a super moto type bike. (A DR650 with SM tires would be perfect for the trip. Vstroms are popular there too.) Going off road is not a big concern. Soft bags are fine. I used them down there on my last trip. Get a little pelican case or similar for camera/laptop/valuables.

The older 650 would be great too. Rebuild your water pump and replace your fuel pump before you leave. I met many guys on 650s that had to replace them on their trip.