What is your every day carry knife?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Coolhand, May 1, 2008.

1. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango 1*

Oddometer:
    Don't even get me started on knives!!!

The short answer to your question is that I typically EDC an Ernest Emerson SOCFK and/or a Sebenza, either large or small small depending on my dress and anticipated activities.

For the perfection of design and execution it is very difficult to beat the Sebenza at any price. With that said, I appreciate the Wave feature of EKI knives and the one-side grind lends itself to quick dress-up in the field for keping the edge keen.

A tactical knife (I've got a bunch of EKI models), a Sebenza (large or small - depending) and a Victorianox will get you through the day - along with a Leatherman or equivalent multi-tool.

For one knife - the large Sebenza is it. Fortunately, we are not limited to one knife and my penchant for Wave feature Emersons can get into thepockets every day as well.
  2. Sam Buca

Sam Buca a.k.a. Daniel

Oddometer:

You have got class.

Chris Reeve Green Beret:

[​IMG]

Kershaw Specbump:
    [​IMG]

Leatherman SuperTool 200:
    [​IMG]

One knife is not enough, but if I had to choose, it will be the Specbump.

3. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    It depends what you use a knife for, as to what to carry.

Me, I carry something in my pocket pretty much all the time but I don't know which one it will be. I have about 8 or so knives that kinda do a rotation, mainly because I'll misplace one and not see it for a month or so.

A couple of requirements I have, which may or may not apply to you:

1) A carry knife for me, first and foremost, needs to be able to help me eat if called on to do so! So I need something that can cut sausage or steak, or spread peanut butter. It can be small, I had a small Gerber like the one pictured above from the same era but mine had a metal bolster and green checkered scale handles (I screwed it up trying to dril a lanyard hole through the handle, I drilled through the spring for the locking mechanism) but if called upon it could make a sandwich.

2) Tanto blades suck at skinning animals and spreading mayo, I won't buy one ever again.

3) For summer I have some cheap folders with belt clips and serrated blades, for when I am wearing shorts with no pockets. I also have a leatherman belt pouch that I bought a long time ago that has a belt clip that I carry my gerbers in. Clips are super handy but I like the clip to be by the hinge, otherwise if the knife ever partially opens it will snag on something when you try to pull it out. If you are outside and need to cut things like rope or vines or small branches serrated blades work great. However, they tear the hell out of tomatoes if you're trying to make a BLT (see item #!). I have lost a few of these when working outside so I like cheap ones.

Another preference, but not a hard rule for me, is anymore I usually prefer a thin knife in my pocket. For example, I have a buck folder 110 but it is too heavy and thick for me to carry daily.

Oh yeah, I prefer some knives to have a bottle opener on them too.

I also sometimes carry a leatherman micra, but that is more because of post 9/11 hysteria to where a pair of scissors might get me into less trouble. One of these days I'll buy a juice and see how that one works.

Anyway, some of my EDC duty knives range from an Opinel folder (kinda thick handle but rather light, good working knife and best value for a working folder) to a couple of victorinox Safari Series (large blades and checkered nylon handles), to a fishing pattern folder (long skinny blade, I grab this one when watermelons are around. Also has a bottle opener), the smallest single blade I use frequently is a buck prince, about the smallest single blade knife that is useful to me. If I'm going to a party I'll bring a victorinox waiter as it is the smallest knife with a bottle opener and corkscrew. (Oh BTW it is extremely tacky to use your knife at a party when there are proper tools available, but for the odd moment like when everyone is on the veranda and the bottle opener is back inside it is acceptable and kinda cool.)
  4. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Tanto blades knives and double if it is a Tanto 1/2 serrated blade. Had a beautiful Kershaw Tanto visually, but functionally, it sucked. :(:
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    This, along with a wide girth keeps me out of most trouble.

[​IMG]

Eat your heart out, Dundee! :1drink
  6. Laromonster

Laromonster Lean, mean pacifist machine

Oddometer:
    Laguiolle ?
    probably the nicest looking knives on the planet, gotta get me one
  7. alaskaOE

alaskaOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Cold Steel Vaquero Grande
  8. Pondrat

Pondrat Sportbike Adv Wannabe

Oddometer:
    They call this the Kasper because it's supposed to be the "Friendliest Ghost." Slips into your pocket flat, thumbscrews for quick one-handed opening, and a self-locking mechanism with a thumb push backup lock.

And the best part? I found it 8years ago on a trail in Wilsons Prom National Park in Victoria, AUS (in the body of a dead man - j/k...sort of.)

I've taken it with me across country and across town, abused it, neglected it, and it still works great.

Attached Files:

9. Tollster

Tollster Jammer Jay

Oddometer:
    Yea its a winner, I loved it so much I bought 2 (1 half serrated] more. Very handy, not real big so it does not snag a clip on everything. I have bigger ones, but this one is the little train that could.
    I used to carry a SOG titanium with a tanto blade, but it went back for repairs twice, so now it sits on the shelf. I like Gerber knives, at least the high end models along with this little exception.
    I work this one job where a guy is a dealer, he brings in the catalog and we get them at his price. I recall one year 30 of us ordered 4500 in knives, I got a set of kitchen Hechels for 260 or so. I mostly give them away at C'mas, but keep some of the fancier ones for my self.
  10. Drifting Fate

Drifting Fate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cold Steel 5" Voyager, because sometimes size does matter.

[​IMG]

And, Swiss Army Classic, because sometimes it doesn't.

[​IMG]
  11. Tory1942

Tory1942 The Retired Reprobate

Oddometer:
    Leatherman multi-tool. I don't know how I got along without it. before.
  12. clint999

clint999 Banned

Oddometer:
    Dundees' everyday rig.....
  13. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Gerber Air Ranger..pretty light..all metal and easily replaced at the BX on base :) I prefer clipped knives too, no sheath to worry about.
  14. beerracer

beerracer beerracer

Oddometer:
    Protech godson, sorry I don't have a pic
  15. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    CRKT M16 Tanto point
  16. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    I thought we carried guns...being Adventures & all. ok Leatherman.
  17. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    I use a CRKT K.I.S.S. as a pocket knife and keep a Leatherman WAVE in my briefcase.
  18. KingRat

KingRat Retired and Grumpy.

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes :baldy

yeah, then some gun-totin' cow-poking adventurer blew his left nadger off whilst trying to spread marmite on his toast with a Glock.
  19. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Protech Brend 2.
    Click on the picture.
    b.

[​IMG]
  20. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I own a bunch of knives but always have my leatherman on my belt. Right now I have a Benchmade Auto by Mel Pardue in my pocket.