Buena Vista in June

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Krazyjohnny, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,

Trying to figure out some places to stay in June in Buena Vista, CO. Planning on towing the Jeep up and doing some Jeepin' and DS rides from Buena Vista while the son is at BSA summer camp.
  2. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok since my last post got no comments at all I will comment in my own thread.

Plan is to arrive in Buena Vista mid day on the 11th and hopefully ride 12th and 13th.

We need to know where to find some good maps for trails around the Buena Vista area and where to obtain the Colorado OHV Stickers?

Anyone? Bueler?
  3. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    My son got his CO permit at a Walmart. I think anywhere that sells hunting/fishing stuff would do it for you.
    As far as maps, Forest service for sure, otherwise maybe the same place as your permit.
    John
  4. Dogscout

Dogscout Wow why and adventure

Oddometer:
    Look around Jefferson, and just east of buene. Go up 285 towards Denver and take the first gravel rd to the right past the prison farms and towards Bald Mountain. Lots of trail riding there. West Of Buene, go over cottonwood, down toe taylor res and go north along the easy shore of taylor. keep going until Aspen.

Love that area.
  5. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Check out Latitude 40 for maps. I have a trip out west in the works and they have been a huge help. Good luck.
  6. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take Cottonwood Pass over to Taylor park about 20 miles away. There are a bizillion ATV and bike trails in the park and they sell OHV stickers and have trail maps at the Taylor Trading Post near the lake. Just take Cottonwood over the top of the mountain and when you get to the bottom take a left. You can't miss it..there ain't nuthing else there! :lol3

kingrj
  7. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    If it comes down to it you can also get the Colorado gazateer.
  8. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan from the Rocky Mountain High Country

If coming up from TX, stop @ our local Motocycle store here in Colorado Springs, Apex Motorsports.
    They will have any map you could want of the area's, and can get you a OHV permit @ the same time.
    Or look here for MVUM maps,
    http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/
  9. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    "'If coming up from TX, stop @ our local Motocycle store here in Colorado Springs, Apex Motorsports.'"

+1 on their shop. They helped me get some stuff sorted before taking off on my trip to Central America.:clap
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    the free FS campgound near frog rock (through the RR tunnels along the river) is a killer spot. you can also climb up above and get some views on the right side.