Honda Gold Wing F6B

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Nov 12, 2012.

1. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    Yeah, GFY. Elitist piece of shit. You don't like ABS? Don't buy it. This shitty "back in my day..." attitude is stupid as fuck. What are you gonna bitch about next? Front brakes? Rear suspension? Multiple cylinders?
  2. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

3. MrFurious

MrFurious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with ABS brakes, but what I can't stand is linked brakes which are becoming more and more commonplace for some dumb reason.
  4. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    They're becoming more common for the same reason as ABS... safety. You always heard "always use both brakes", right? Now, you will. :D

My understanding is that some of the better systems are linked in a way that allows you to only use the rear, but not only use the front. Is that true? Or a proportioning valve that only links them under "high squeeze" conditions?
  5. Cerviperus

Cerviperus '12 Bagger Wing

Oddometer:
    Here's a decent overview on the GL1800riders Forum: Link

[​IMG]
  6. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    In slow speed maneuvers I drag the rear brake. I think I can feel the linked front brake drag as well and it does take some getting used to. This really is a much bigger bike than I've ridden. I came off a DL650.

I'm used to it now and it hasn't been a big deal for me.
  7. Davo-55

Davo-55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the looks of the F6B. Goldwing on steroids. Any opinions? Never wanted a GoldWing, have considered a Kawasaki Concours, or a BMW inline six, but the Honda sure has a look about it. Not ready for a big rolling couch just yet, but when I do retire and have time to take that epic ride, the F6B looks like it would be a great choice
  8. vicvegas

vicvegas eager beaver

Oddometer:
    That F6B does look good for a goldwing and cudos to Honda for continually being able to refresh the big wing to keep people interested but for god sakes, i sure hope they add cruise control to this bike or atleast offer it as an option asap! A "touring bike" without cruise, to me just seems annoying while racking up the miles.
  9. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have always wanted to do something similar to this, but with a big luggage rack and a solo seat. I thought I would find a take off seat on fleabay and hack it up. Maybe get some of those flat gas cans that are meant for the back of a jeep and have them lay flat with a rack on top for your tent/sleeping bag etc. Nice to get another 5 gallons of range. I haven't looked or searched this thread, does anyone know of something someones done like that?
  10. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Just for shits and giggles, I test rode both the F6B and the standard Goldwing. That was a mistake. I liked them both too much and I'm only 38.

Although I currently own some big motorcycles, the sheer size and bulk both styles of Goldwings was a little bit concerning to me, especially the standard version with couch attached to the back-end....until I actually sat on it. And once under way, it was like a Jedi-mind trick...."this is not the wieght you were looking for".

For me personally, if I were in the market for one, I would go all in and get the grand-daddy, standard Goldwing.

Both were impressive machines....borderline, cars.
  11. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out MBL Innovations Sport Kit. Shouldn't be to hard to add a rack after that. Get an older GL1800 and turn it into the F6B the add what you want. If I had it to do over again I would have went that route instead of buying the F6.
  12. lost_too

lost_too Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger about a month ago. I am enjoying it. It is a mile muncher and does quite well in the twisties. Love the torque and very comfortable. Still have the DL650 but that is being neglected as of late.
  13. Unleaded

Unleaded Unit Train

Oddometer:
    Are you liking it less than you hoped, Wannaklr? I still think its a great bike on paper and in the showroom, but haven't ridden one. What are your thoughts now?
  14. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    On paper and the test ride it was everything I could have wanted. I had a Valkyrie that I loved.

I have about 3200 miles on it and I just haven't gelled with it. Some of it is stuff I should have known about and some of it is things I glossed over and now pisses me off. I love the MOTOR, but that is about all I like about it at this time. I've tried two windshields and am just going to have to bite the bullet on a either a tall Honda shield or the Baggershield 19" with vent. I also still feel a stuttering or hesitation around 2500 rpms. Others have ridden it and don't notice any issue, I'm starting to think its in my head. I also can't seem to shift it correctly. I'll catch 2-3 false neutrals on almost every ride.

I have it half assed for sale in the ADV Flea Market and the F6B Riders forum.

After I put mine up for sale I got a email from a new owner that bought their Deluxe OTD (without tax) for $16,500. Since the Deluxe retails for $20,999 they are already being moved out with a $4500 discount. I can take a hit on selling it, but not that big a hit.
  15. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Said it before, I'll say it again: No cruise, no ABS on a new 850 lb $20,000 cruiser?

It doesn't matter how nice the engine is (and it is nice), Honda just struck out on this one.

Cakeeater
  16. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I completely agree and I'm going to have to live with it or take approx. a $5,000 dollar hit. I guess I'll need to lower the selling price to around $16,000 to even get any nibbles.

I really do feel stupid. I knew both of those things you mention going in, but I glossed over their perceived value to me. I really thought the aftermarket guys could get a CC that would be a simple install. There is a cc, but you have to be a machinist to make some brackets for a couple of pieces on the motor and then you end up with a ugly looking switch on the handle bar.

I do think If I had gelled with the bike those issues wouldn't bother me, but I haven't and they do.
  17. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three years ago I would have thought: Cruise control? Silly!

Then I bought a bike with it. ... not just a throttle lock...but electronic cruise control. Fantastic. Up hills, down hills, same speed. I don't have to worry about going too fast and getting nailed by accident in a speed trap, I can rest my right wrist, it kicks off in a heartbeat when I touch the brakes or the clutch.

It makes long distance traveling so much more pleasant, and safer, me thinks.

And ABS: my very experienced brother crashed his non-abs vstrom to avoid a deer. Too much brake in a panic, down he went. Broken ribs in the middle of a cross country trip. People can debate all they want, but the system helps.

That Honda skipped these two is just...strange.

Cakeeater
  18. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree and wish I hadn't spent the 20 to figure that out. :lol3
  19. Rabon

Rabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this a Joke ?
  20. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I went to buy the F6B, just had to sign papers and it was mine, they had discounted 2012 full 'wings sitting there. Got the ABS/NAV model for about 2k more than the F6B, didn't test ride either one...I don't test ride bikes before I buy them because I can find something I don't like about every single one, if I buy it I tend to find the things I like rather than the dislikes.

It's been great...30,000 miles since March 1st, the cruise control has been awesome and was the main selling point, if the F6B would have had just that one feature I might have bought it.

I'm planning to keep this bike for seven years or 400,000 miles, whichever comes first.:wink: