Dakar 2014 - Official Event Coverage - thank you all, lurkers and posters!!!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by doyle, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    mornin' guys n gals

So, is it just sandy whoops today or is it the Dunes ? If so, hope the front runers (overzealous ones atleast) don't get lost...

edit : just re-read todays stage details and it looks like Dunes, albiet only 65kms of it.
  2. Capo Sakke

Capo Sakke Don't rock the boat

Oddometer:
    Yep, third rally for Toomas and first one was less than 10 months ago....
    Toomas is quite fast on that kind of soil, and Mart likes more sand... hope that they have improve they navigation skills since last rallyes.

Well done so far. :clap
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    Morning all! :wave

The 1 is for the "F1rst Time" Riders or "Dakar Rookies".

No production class no more.

The other class numbers refer to the Group/Positition an individuals position/in class.
  4. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I Dunno is actually third... Why is over at the protest office asking the question to the jury. :lol3

But who is definately leading. :nod
  5. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    "The fastest Special Stage of the rally" - it's a pity we don't have irritack to see who max's out, but someone will have the time and the inclination to come up with aggreGate speeds of each of the sub stages I'm sure :lol3:lol3 will it be crash bang even though he is leading off?
  6. Martino

Martino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning! Here we go again :).
  7. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Why do you think Sam won't be the one posting highest speed ?
  8. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    3.5 hours till the first bikes go into the stage....11pm here to be exact.
    I need to change location for this time next year :waysad
  9. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because AVG speed wins
  10. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yep Bam Bam led them away from San Luis at 4.30 am on the 304 km transport section down to the DSS start for todays Moto* (359 km) course. *NOTE that Autos and Trucks take a longer 433 km route - I suspect this so that the leading cars don't catch up with the tail enders of the MOTO category?

Todays terrain (at least the last third) will be considerably more technical than yesterdays gravel roads - so for those that floundered yesterday, today could be a blow? Touted as the "fastest" of this years stages, I take that to mean the opening kilometers (up to refuel CP at 177 km) must have some wide open trails to follow?

HoWilds google-fu has revealed that there are "whoops" for a 10 km stretch that will give the participants something to chew on... and Ned will be keeping an eye on the "one, tow three... eject!" cases by the sounds of things.

For sure getting the whoops "right" is a matter of having your suspension set up and your throttle/timing right. Once up to speed, having the "b¤lls" to keep the momentum up, is the key - drop down into them and the "dancing" suddenly goes all "mosh pit" on yo' ass!

Hope the camera chopper is trackingsome of the go-fasters along that section... it will make for some good footage! :clap
  11. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not wishing to temp fate of any sort, but I'm sure he will be up there. A few issues yesterday which cost a bit of time and starting from 8th he is well placed for a quick time - the quickest, not sure if he wants it at the moment :1drink
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    I dunno 'bout that...? :scratch

Good ol' SPEED was pretty average yesterday... an' he definately ain't winning! :lol3:rofl
  13. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Morning guys.... I read the post, but feel sleepy... And it is only day too.... How is it possible to get insomnia? :huh

Martino's FB

[​IMG]

And let's not forget this

14. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

WP1 @ 47km
    WP2 @ 118km
    WP3 @ 147km
    CP1/WP4/refuel @ 177km
    WP5 @ 259 or 269km (@split course)
    WP6 @ 278km
    WP7 @ 313km
    ASS @ 359km
  15. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Holiday in South America , i'l share expenses Nry:lol3. My better half will drive the back up vehicle!
  16. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    Room for one more?:deal
  17. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    :freaky

Oriol Escale :clap:clap

[​IMG]
  18. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    From FB. - Oriol comments

Google translation:
    ''Oriol: It was not the start we had in mind! We have lived a hellish day. "Gilbert has had a problem with the chain and the link and was forced to stop twice to fix it. We thought we had done it but when we had 20 km in the stage the chain broke and created a hole in the engine case, which then lost all the oil. I've towed for 40 miles until we found a kind soul who lent us some oil. We have managed to repair the bike and resume the race but not for long: 20 km later, the chain again broke and this time there was nothing to repair ... So Gilbert told me to go on, he's apañaría as best they could achieve ... I hope I get out of this''

''Oriol: !No ha sido el comienzo que teníamos en mente! Hemos vivido una jornada infernal. “Gilbert ha tenido un problema con la cadena ya en el enlace y se ha visto obligado a detenerse en dos ocasiones para arreglarlo. Pensábamos que lo había conseguido pero cuando llevábamos 20 km de espacial se le ha roto irremediablemente la cadena y ha perforado el cárter de la moto, que perdía a continuación todo el aceite. Le he remolcado durante más de 40 km, hasta que hemos encontrado un alma caritativa que nos ha prestado un poco de aceite. Hemos conseguido reparar la moto y reanudar la carrera pero no por mucho tiempo: 20 km más tarde, la cadena volvía a romperse y esta vez ya no había nada que reparar… Así que Gilbert me ha dicho que continuara, que él se las apañaría como buenamente pudiera… Espero que logre salir de ésta''
  19. 640 Armageddon

Oddometer:
    Somebody asked what the riders are eating.

This is what the bosses are having for breakfast :evil

From Martino Bianchi's FB

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Chavo relaxing after first stage. And I want to comment on this. Having special crews to treat the riders makes ENORMOUS difference in the course of 13 days... I cannot imagine how Malle Moto's are coping and what on earth is going on in their bodies and mind. They have my total respect :freaky

[​IMG]
  20. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Did he get a tow in though??
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.