New reiter foothills orv park

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Maddaddy, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Found this on the DNR Page.
    http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/News/Pages/2013_01_08_reiter_ma.aspx

MEDIA ADVISORY
    January 8, 2013
    JOIN OFF-ROAD VEHICLE ENTHUSIASTS FOR TEST RIDES AT REITER FOOTHILLS
    Test Days Scheduled Through March
    OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is inviting the public to ride newly completed off-road vehicle (ORV) trails at Reiter Foothills. Test dates have been scheduled through March. Trail users will have an opportunity to complete a survey about the trails to provide feedback on future trail design in the area.
    Who: The Washington State Department of Natural Resources
    What:

Test rides on single track motorcycle trails and a 4x4 challenge course. Opportunities for ATV riders will be available later this year. Access to ORV trails may be impacted due to snow accumulation. The Area 6 Single Track Motorcycle Trail (see map link below) is currently closed due to snow.
    Check this link before you go to the test rides to find out about any weather closures on the test days.
    When:

Test rides will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the dates below:
    January 12 - 4x4 only
    January 20
    February 9 & 17
    March 9 & 24
    Where: Reiter Foothills Forest
    Why: To test newly constructed single track motorcycle trails & 4x4 challenge course.
  2. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a helmet cam view of all the single track available. Eight minutes at a very modest pace. Might save you a trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L6M1QMuEKa4

I'd maybe consider a mountain bike ride, but Paradise Valley is closer to me, and has at least eight more miles of trail.

It might be a nice dual sport ride from home if the weather was just a bit warmer, but be sure to bring your Discovery Pass.
  3. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Legally, if you have an ORV permit, you do not need a Discover Pass anywhere you do not have to be street legal.

Unfortunatley the DNR is ignoring the law.

I will have legislation introduced later this week, that if passed will make it more difficult for the DNR to ignore the law.
  4. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. WetSideRider

Oddometer:
    Right you are, as usual. I was thinkin' folks with big GS's and such might not have them ORV'd. The trail is pretty tame for a "real" dirtbike, but would be interesting to try on a big trailie. I don't love (nor recommend) Highway 2 on a little single for a dualsport ride up for a few minutes look-see.
  6. tod701

tod701 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea.

Yep, I am pretty sure that would be zero fun on my CRF250X. It'll do 78mph, but its not the brightest thing that I've ever done. :eek1
  7. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like fun on my 75 XL 125. Other than that it might get three or four bikes away from Walker[or not].
  8. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    screw the DNR.. the next time I ride reiter it will be to the top of the wall or bust.
  9. WetSideRider

Oddometer:
    Heh, heh. The weather reminds me of the last time I was on top of the wall, only I arrived after a bivouac 100' below the top of the Davis-Holland route. Freakin' long and cold night. After that winter aid climbing (it wasn't a free climb then) held no appeal for me. I don't ever wanna go back, even on two wheels.
  10. KTM Explorer

KTM Explorer Dirt Whore

Oddometer:
    Geezus WTF is the point of this trail?? Narrow crushed gravel with useless shit strewn on the side and an occasional bit of timber thrown on the path. Designed by bureaucrats for bureaucrats. Looks like crap.
  11. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever go to the Reiter Foothills focus group meetings at the Snohomish County courthouse? I believe the next one is 7-9 pm, next wednesday. I think I will head up there and hear what these folks are talking about. If these meetings are usually attended by hiking and conservation types, then all the more reason to go and provide some input from ORV users.
    FWIW, I've had really good interactions with David Way so far, and I look forward to finding out what kind of time frame he has in mind for some more trails opening up.
  12. KTM Explorer

KTM Explorer Dirt Whore

Oddometer:
    Anyone check out the Copper Belle mine up there?

[​IMG]
  13. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    Oh, I don't know - looks like it could be *some* fun...although, it is a tad short. Fingers crossed for more in the future.

...and for the record, I'm not really hardcore when offroading. Years of Jeep Jamboree trail guiding taught me to go slow/got that outta my system...LOL
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is that? Ive been riding up there for 40 plus years and never even heard of it. Looks like a good exploration is in order.
  15. WetSideRider

Oddometer:
    Sportsguy, you have the perfect bike (690 R) for that trail. Ride up from home on a nice day, do some other gravel exploration while your at it, and bop on home when you're done. As for pure dirt bikes, not so much.

It actually is a nice venue. I'd take a little tyke up there on a summer afternoon during the week to practice somewhere besides the backyard. I did some survey work with David Way and Mark Mauren up there in 2010 and I will say the bugs are very thirsty in June/July, keep that in mind when hauling up the family.
  16. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. joeaverage

joeaverage mediocre

Oddometer:
    I remember that place but never new what it was called. I rode up there a few times but that was over 20 years ago. I remember seeing an old school bus rotting away in the bushes. I bet it was fun getting that thing up there.
  18. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    So the bugs take August/September off - good to know for planning... :D
  19. shrubitup

shrubitup Uncouth Sloth

Oddometer:
    good idea! suggest central sounders turn out a bit for this to represent. :deal
  20. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    I'm going up on the next date and I am bringing both my DR-449 and my DRZ250 and hope to provide some feedback on the type of trail they may be trying to make. Hopefully I will be able to ride both and provide good feedback.