M/C Accident- 2 Down in Santa Barbara,CA

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by hankgs, May 31, 2013.

1. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    On May 29th, a husband and wife from Toronto Canada, were riding their cruiser two up on a straight, two lane frontage road that runs along U.S.101 in Santa Barbara.
    Some under the influence fuck, went over the double yellow and took the 60-something year old couple out. Both lost their left legs and I believe the woman may have lost her left arm.
    These people had NO CHANCE or options...

I am looking into finding out what we can do to help this couple out- stay tuned...
  2. Square1

Square1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know what can be done!

M
  3. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
    Motorcycling Couple Suffer Major Injuries in DUI Accident

Montecito Man Arrested; Victims Expected to Survive​

<HR class=divider_line align=center width="50%">Thursday, May 30, 2013
    <!--Pre Story Div-->
    A Canadian couple riding their motorcycle Wednesday afternoon on Old Coast Highway in Montecito were hit by a suspected drunk driver who swerved into their lane. Both the 63-year-old man and his 59-year-old wife sustained major injuries including possible amputations. The driver — 51-year-old Montecito resident Martin Maguire — was arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs.

The incident occurred in the 800 block of Old Coast Highway at around 5:20 p.m., said Lt. James Pfleging with the Santa Barbara Police Department. The victims — both reportedly struck on their left legs — were rushed to Cottage Hospital while Maguire was interviewed at the scene and eventually taken into custody. His bail is set at $100,000.

The couple had shipped their Harley-Davidson down from Ontario with the intention of embarking on a road tour of the United States, authorities said. They were accompanied by another Harley-riding pair who were on the road in front of them when the collision occurred. That couple was able to avoid Maguire’s ‘94 Toyota 4Runner when it crossed the yellow line and barreled head-on into the victims.

Bystanders rushed to the scene to offer aid, including a U.S. Army soldier who had recently returned from Afghanistan, said Pfleging. The solider applied a tourniquet to one of the victims to stop the bleeding. Both the man and woman are expected to survive.
    http://www.independent.com/news/2013/may/30/motorcycle-couple-suffers-major-injuries-dui-accid/

Joyce E. Dudley, District Attorney
    1112 Santa Barbara Street
    Santa Barbara, CA. 93101
    (805) 568-2300
    Email: rmoll@co.santa-barbara.ca.us
    http://www.countyofsb.org/DA/contact_us.html
  4. speedygee68

speedygee68 dirt eater

Oddometer:
    I don't think there's much I could do from LA County area, but I'll keep an eye on this post. Just in case. That's just too sad. I hope the SBPD investigation officer does a good job on this report.
  5. Bobstate

Bobstate n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm with you hankgs! I'd be in to helping out where possible. I did the photography at their sons wedding several years back. Great people. Hard workers out enjoying what they've earned. In a blink their lives are dramatically different. ADV rider or not...in a case like this a rider is a rider and we're all linked by that commonality.

Wishing the Atwoods a swift recovery and a safe trip back home to their family.
  6. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    :dog

What. the. Fuck.
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
  8. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr. & Mrs. Atwood are recovering at:
    Santa Barbara
    Cottage Hospital
    400 West Pueblo Street
    Santa Barbara, CA 93105

They have family visiting from Canada until their release. Mr. Atwood told me he has been riding motorcycles for 40 years, and never experienced an accident. Unfortunately, this was quite a devastating incident.
    I'm sure cards would be appreciated.
  9. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    This hapened about a half mile from my place. I was out front and heard the red wagons rolling. The choice of words is hard but, good luck to the Atwoods.

p.s. Hank, do you live in th "Grove"?
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Only $100,000 bail? :eek1 They should cut his nuts off!

I'm glad to hear the couple survived. Good job by that soldier with tourniquet experience, which may have made the difference.
  11. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is just terrible, I hope they recover quickly and get back home. Hopefully they don't suffer any further injuries.
  12. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    Wow, just wow!

Keep us posted if there is anything we can do to help.

-Terry
  13. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Atwood's are in good spirits. Their two sons with wives are staying here with them from Canada. Our firefighters association got the visiting relatives gift cards to some local SB restaurants and they were very appreciative...
    Last word is, they are traveling back next week to Canada.
    Mr. Atwood said he's been riding m/c's for 40 years without an accident until last week- Very sad situation.
  14. coryo

coryo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sad story, my thoughts are with all involved. Except the a$$hole who changed the lives of many because his stupidity.
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    were they able to keep their legs or did they have to go forth with the amputation?
  16. K. L. Rocket

K. L. Rocket Big bouncy make big happy

Oddometer:
  17. eatpasta

Oddometer:
  18. m5guy

m5guy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a longtime friend who is also a prosecutor with the SB District Attorney's office. I am sending her a link to this thread so she can tell the DA assigned to this case to bust the driver's nuts at trial.
  19. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Atwood's are flying out of Santa Barbara via LAX to Toronto, Sunday AM 6-9-13. They still are on the road to recovery, but sound like they are in good spirits and ready to get back to the Great White North.
    Their sons and wives were able to spend the last week with them here in SB.
    All the best to the Atwood's and their road to recovery...
  20. Blueshark

Blueshark Coastal Castaway

Oddometer:
    Last small beach town N of LA, S of Pt Conception