Need Northern Ga Riders input

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by doc4216, May 5, 2013.

1. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    I am planning a 3-4 day trip to northern Ga just NE from Atlanta. I will be bringing my FJR up from Tampa on its first roadtrip with me. Will be staying at a friend's lake house and will have at least two full days to ride if not three full days. I have done western SC and NC, along with Eastern TN but never GA. Just wondering what paved roads are a must ride in northeastern GA?

Thanks for the input!
  2. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    19/9 north out of Dahlonega, Hwy 129 north across Blood Mtn, 180 west across Wolf Pen Gap to Suches and TWO, 60 north to Dial, Newport and Big Creek Rds South to Hwy 52. Through Ellijay and west on 52 across Fort Mtn to Chatsworth, south on Old Federal Rd. to 136, then 136 east back over toward the lake. That's assuming you're referring to Lake Lanier. That would be a good loop.
  3. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Actually staying at Lake Hartwell. Any good roads around there? Saw a couple state parks just to the NW of the lake close to the GA/SC border that I may explore and try to hike!:D
  4. nerdtastic_89

nerdtastic_89 awkward hippy

Oddometer:
    I'd love to know as well. Lake Hartwell has always been a great drive by car, can only imagine the area on bike.
  5. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    Lots of good stuff in the area. But I tend to favor that triangle from Clayton to Tellico Plains TN to Asheville NC. (I do live in Clayton though)

Hwy 28 out of Walhalla to Franklin.
    Hwy 215 from 64 to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    Hwy 276 from Brevard to the Blue Ridge Parkway
    Cherohala Skyway from Robinsville to Tellico Plains. (Where you can spend some money at MiniMikes store Tellico Moto...)
    The Blue Ridge Parkway during the week from Cherokee to Asheville.

But for the Georgia question MB is on the money....

You can also look at Hwy 197 at Lake Burton, Warwoman Road from Clayton to 28 as both are noteworthy on the eastern side of the state.

Tallulah Gorge is a cool place to stop. If you get there early you can get a gorge floor permit that allows you to explore the gorge floor, otherwise you have to stay on the trail. The walk to the bottom of the stairs is worth it though as there is a nice bridge and waterfalls at the bottom.

Black Rock has some nice views as well. Georgia charges a day pass for parking so if you hit one you might as well hit both in the same day with the pass.
  6. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dabber!

Yup, love the Cherohola Skyway (actually that's my favorite), Tellico Plains and absolutley love the Asheville area.

Thanks for the tips about the gorge and Black Rock! Definitely going to check both of those out!

Thanks for the info guys! This girl is excited!
  7. judobiker

judobiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live at Lake Hartwell. Dirt Dabber and MB have steered you in the right direction. You gotta go north to get to the good stuff.

If you've never ridden 28 all the way from Walhalla up to at least Highlands, you should try it. Many other good ones have already been mentioned as well.
  8. doc4216

Oddometer:
    I've done RT28 in SC heading back to Charleston but no where else. Actually like it better than the dragon!
  9. doc4216

Oddometer:
  10. rush2112_2112

rush2112_2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are there on a Saturday then hit up T60 grill for their Low Country Boil. Access by lake or land. It has been a family favorite for years.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk HD
  11. judobiker

judobiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For some reason, I was thinking T60 closed. I might be wrong or it may have reopened.

Where are you staying? Gumlog Barbecue is a local favorite. An inmate here also owns a BBQ take out place in Lavonia by the railroad tracks that's hard to beat. There's a new place, J. Peters off of the I-85 exit that's good also. Carolina Pizza off of HWY 11 on the Carolina side is also good.
  12. rush2112_2112

rush2112_2112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope they didn't close. Maybe they are closed during the off season.

Gumlogs is pretty good. BBQ and fried catfish, filet or on the bone.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk HD
  13. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Recommendations for pizza and BBQ? I'm in! Will be there the second weekend of June so I'm getting super excited to try all these places! Thanks
  14. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:

BBQ- Hawg Wild Clarkesville GA

[​IMG]

Pizza Mama G's Clayton GA

And there is always the gorgefest at the Dillard House in Dillard Ga if you are into that kind of thing...
  15. SlowRide13

SlowRide13 Veteran n00b

Oddometer:
    :nod Order 'Mama's steak and potato pie' (pizza). Sounds weird, but order it anyway:deal
  16. Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fixed and seconded. :D
  17. doc4216

Oddometer:
    One week out! getting more and more excited! Planning on leaving Tampa around noon on Friday, driving straight through and getting there right after sunset. Riding and hiking one whole day and then kayaking and fishing the next day. I only have 4 days so we are going to take two days coming back! Going to try to hit some state parks on the way back and then come down the west coast of Florida instead of I75 the whole way. Can't wait to take the new bike on a decent trip! :clap
  18. doc4216

Oddometer:
    Due to the arrival of TS Andrea.....my GA trip is postponed til September :kboom