Crankshaft endfloat for Guzzi T3 anyone?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by JonnyCash, Apr 25, 2015.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    I've had a little noise coming from the front of the engine on my T3. Even the slightest pull on the clutch lever changes the sound, so it seems to be clutch or crankshaft end float related. I just pulled the timing cover off, and I measured the end float with a feeler gauge between the front main bearing and the rear of the crankshaft sprocket. An .005 feeler gauge slides right in, and I can wiggle an .006" in there with a little effort. The numbers don't sound like much, but there is an audible thunk when I pull the clutch lever, if first I push the snout of the crank aft. I can't seem to find a spec for it. Anyone here know anything about this? Thanks
  2. flemsmith

flemsmith lurk

Oddometer:
    Not me, but if you post on the yahoo Loop frame forum, I bet you get some quick answer(s). I know it's not a loop, but the engine is basically the same, and they've always answered me. Let us know what you find out. And good luck.

roy
  3. pommie john

pommie john Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the clutch splines might be the real issue. If you search the Guzzi forums, there's a trick involving (I think) alcohol in the clutch chamber and some rinsing out. I'd be tempted to shoot some brake cleaner up in there and through the side hole and see if things get better and what runs out.

Cleaning will work for a while, but eventually you'll need to go in.
    There were some dicey clutches sold for Guzzi for a while, including a frankenstein made by SureGrip that purportedly worked with both the 2mm and 4mm splines, and actually with neither.

If you do need a clutch, the one I got from Moto Guzzi Classics is the best clutch I've ever had, in any vehicle.
  5. davebeef

davebeef Buffoon

Oddometer:
    Good luck in solving your problem Jonny, let's hope it's of the easily sorted variety!
    D.:wink:
  6. JonnyCash

JonnyCash turd polisher

Oddometer:
    Oh, you know, I think I'm just looking for trouble where none exists. I just put it together with the aluminum timing gears instead of the chain sprockets. Everything seems fine. As I was warned, the square cut gears are noisier than the stock setup. Some people have described it as music, but to me it sounds like some hopped-up muscle car, not in a way that I like. I'll ride it this way for a while, but right now I think I might go back to stock, but with the upgrade chain tensioner. Sure has been nice to get back on two wheels though. It was a helluva winter!