I'll be visiting the Great White North-YIPPEEE!!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Ladybug, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    It looks like there are plenty of folks headed to Alaska this summer and many have asked for suggestions and if others will be doing the same. Well, I'll be doing the same and I too am looking for suggestions. The end of May through the first two weeks of June I will be spending some quality time riding :ricky in the Great White North. I'll just be see a tiny bit of AK, even less Of YT, but I will get to see a lot of BC and a little of AB too. :jump

For the most part I have my route planned but if someone suggests a good road that needs to be ridden I'll do all I can to ride it. For the purpose of this post I'm looking for the "special" things to see in each area. Places of interest, something a little different, the must sees, odd or quaint little places, historic sites, and natural wonders, anyone would like to suggest. A good places to eat :dg and good places to stay or camp would be welcome as well. I will camp most the time but if the weather is real ugly I'll whimp out and motel it.

Here's the places I plan to go (in order):
    Haines, AK (Hyderseek), Watson Lake, YT, Whitehorse, YT, Skagway, AK, Haines, AK, Haines Jct, YT (then back to Haines, AK), Juneau, AK, Ketchican, AK, Prince Rupert, BC, Prince George, BC, Dawson Creek, BC, Grand Prairie, AB, and through the Columbia Ice Fields into Jasper, Banff, Glacier, Yoho, and Kootenay Nat'l Parks.

Perhaps I'll see a few of you on the road too. If you see a short gal on a blue BMW F650 with a WA plate, it just might be me. :icy Give me a wave:wave and maybe we can meet.
  2. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Hi Ladybug, pull up a leaf and have a beer!

You could push your plans back a week and meet up with a bunch of folks in Dawson City, YT. Well all be there on the 15th of june and will be in town until the 17th. :deal

If that wont work for ya, there's a lotta local knowledge about Alaska and great folks to be found here.

Check out the "Over The Top Hop", and "Dalton Dualers" threads.

Frank
  3. spawnx66

spawnx66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be on a blue wee-strom leaving hopefully June 1st and coming home in 8 weeks. Plan on spending 3 of the 8 weeks in Yukon and Alaska trying to not rush and spend lots of time enjoying the scenery and roads. :clap Glad to see I will have a lot of company up there, should be great!
  4. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    I'll be going this way from Kelowna:
    [​IMG]

Or if you are looking for the best routes in and out of Calgary, I can assist. Do you have a GPS?
    [​IMG]
  5. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    +1 on what KodiakFrank said... The more the merrier! And if you have any questions, we promise not to bite... Welcome to the asylum, and to AK!
  6. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Hey Ladybug, I goofed up one of the threads I suggested you check out. It should be the "Dualin' Dalton" thread .

BTW Welcome to the Asylum!:clap

Frank

Hey Moosekilla, We've got another Coastie rider comin' with us. His first name is Jack, so I figure we'll just call him "Jack Mehoff"!:lol3

So that's four for our group so far.:deal
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Now you guys will be a frightening bunch:eek1 I mite have to keep my distance :lol3
  8. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading up from Cetral Washington and doing a straight shot to Hyder for Hyderseek. After Hyderseek I'll be exploring and being a tourist:D Yep, I do have a GPS a Garmin Street Pilot 2610. Sure do like it:nod Won't be getting to Calgary.
  9. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite. I'll be attending Hyderseek May 26 & 27 then riding the following two weeks. I won't be able to make it to Dawson City, YT although it does sound like you'll be having a good time. This trip I won't be getting very far North and won't be on the Alcan much but I do plan to go to Dawson Creek, BC to mile post 0 just because. I hope next year or the following year to do the parts further north, Fairbanks, Prudue Bay, Denali, etc. This year I'm checking out the more Southern parts and the Marine Hwy. I'm really looking forward to it, I know I'm going to have a blast.

Have a good time for me up a Dawson City and toast one for me:freaky
  10. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Wow, 8 weeks!! I wish I had that much time to tour the Great White North. Have a great time, I'll keep my eyes open for a blue wee-strom and if you spot a blue F650 in your rear view mirror, pull over and say hi. Looks like a lot of people are headed that way this summer. Wonder just how many bikes I'll actually see on the road :D
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Liard Hot Springs!!
  12. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Did someone say Liard hot springs! thats a must stop on the Alcan:deal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Liard Hotsprings in Northern BC
    You can see some pics here:
    http://www.st-owners.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=33&userid=2113

Also almost all of the best bike roads in BC and Washington State can be found here:

http://www.destinationhighways.com/

I personally love the top half of the Duffy Lake Loop (Vancouver to Lillooet), there's also a really nice hotsprings tour you can do roughly hitting off Creston, Kaslo, Nakusp, Limby to Vernon (with some side branches for hotsprings etc) The ferry ride is free and the twisties and sweepers come with a great view. Its all mountains. Refer to the book, when they say its a top rated biker highway, they're right! This would be some of the best paved stuff in BC.

This map would give you a good idea of some really good stuff in BC without buying the book:
    http://www.canstoc.ca/

Enjoy yourself!

Rob
  14. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    OK, I wanna go, I saw the pictures on the other post, looks like a nice place. Just where is it, what town is it near?
  15. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will find most everyone up here pretty friendly. In the past Fireside (between Liard Hotsprings & Watson Lake) wouldn't sell gas to people on motorcycles.:cry Besides the wife and I.....I know of 2 others who were refused service there. :eek1

I do encourage riders to stop there and try and get gas....just be in the position of not needing it.:wink: Things may have changed now??? :dunno If not it's always nice to hassle them.:lol3
  16. Northern Rob

Northern Rob Con Brio!

Oddometer:
    Liard Hotsprings is between Fort Nelson BC and Watson Lake Yukon. Its close to (or maybe even inside) Muncho Lake Provincial Park. From memory its a few hours west of Fort Nelson. Its well posted.
  17. Ladybug

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, there it is. It looks like I won't be making it to the hot springs. I'll be traveling North from Hyder on the Cassiar Hwy, I will take the short detour over to Watson Lake but after that I'll be headed West and back South again to Skagway. Oh well, I'll keep it in mind for a return trip in a few years to do the Alcan and a visit to Prudoe Bay.
  18. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    What?! What the hell was that about?
    They think you were with the HA's or sumpthin?
    They give a reason?
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    They just tell you they are out of gas. Had a couple of friends stop there on 2 seperate trips and got the same story.:deal I encourage riders to stop there to see what happens.:evil

We got gas at Iron Creek and talked to the lodge owner. He has some real horror stories about Fireside. They don't want people on bicycles or people of color there either. Seems it has more to do with those types of people not spending much money there more than anything else. :dunno

Most lodges on the Alcan have a tendency to bad-mouth their competition down the road, so ya gotta take what they say with a grain of salt.:gerg
  20. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Liard Hot Springs is the bomb diggity! It has been about 14 years or so since I have been there, but it would be a great place to spend a day of RnR for a road weary body...:clap