Official Nighthawk thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by eteller, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Spaceman3750

Spaceman3750 Aggravating as Hell

Oddometer:
    Took the stock backrest/rack off of my 02 this evening. I think she looks better without it, though I had to take off all the fairings to get it off (not that there's much to remove, the entire fairing is 3 pieces, plus unplugging the tail light).

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
  2. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    It does look slick but I always thought the rack/backrest was a great honda line accessory.
  3. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spaceman, it does look good
    if you decide to sell the backrest let me know
  4. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the windshield off and I've been thinking of taking back rest off for the same reason, it just looks cleaner as your pics show. But the thing is useful. I keep my documents and a few bungies in the pouch and the rack offers easy hooking points for carrying stuff. When I take it on a trip I can see just laying the medium Drybag on the rear seat and small one on the rack behind.
    Mine came with the rest on, is there any stock fasteners that are needed when removing it?
  5. Spaceman3750

Oddometer:
    Ridewv,

To remove it, you remove the main bolts and washers at the end of the rack (metric wrench), and the black screws/washer flush against the fairing below the pillion (Phillips head). Then unplug the brake light and pull the front fairings out of their rubber grommets. Once you do that the whole thing comes apart, watch for falling washers. Remove the last two bolts in the back (metric wrench), pull the rest off, and put all of the screws/bolts/washers/fairings back on, in reverse. Not a huge deal, though it helps to have a second pair of hands.
  6. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer:
    North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
    I recently added the Hondaline backrest because it is, by far, the handiest bolt-on accessory for the Nighthawk 750. I do agree that it looks nice without it as well. You will have no problem selling it!! I would hang on to it if I were you as they are getting very hard to find and you might change your mind.
  7. Spaceman3750

Oddometer:
    I plan to hang onto it.
  8. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Spaceman3750. If I do remove it I'll hang on to mine just to re-install when taking it on a trip. Once my new Corbin seat arrives! :D
  9. The Kurgan

The Kurgan Firing on one cylinder

Oddometer:
    North of 49, in a place called The Hammer
    Oh you're going to love the Corbin, mine is superb. :clap Just a word of caution, you'll have to file down the two front metal tabs on the seat in order for to fit with the Hondaline backrest. Just keep filing until it just slides down properly.
  10. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kurgan, I saw a post somewhere mentioning the front tangs will need shortened if you have the backrest. I almost requested Corbin do this for me but I'll take care of it myself. I already requested they raise the rider's platform 3/8"- 1/2" for me.
  11. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode an 8,000 mile trip two-up through Mexico and Belize. Between the two us us and our gear we probably had 400 lbs. Bike handled the weight great; I could barely tell we were loaded down. Of course before we left I installed progressive fork springs and shocks, and heavy duty shock springs.

On the way back, the wheel bearings in front went out, but we were riding some pretty rough rides. Recently the givi wing rack broke on one side; a weld fixed that.
  12. GAwoody83

GAwoody83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^Any pictures or a ride report?
  13. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Foamy

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any advice on a Backpack that can be Easily attached/detached to the Nighthawk Back Rest (Hondaline OEM)? I saw this one - http://www.adventureharley.com/sissy-bar-backpack-1- and it seems pretty close to what I am wanting. I would like to put my laptop, some books/notebooks, office stuff etc in it, simple on off and on to my back so I can commute to work.

Thanks,
    Foamy
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
    The Eclipse Standard tank bag has a sleeve for slipping over backrests. I also think there are shoulder straps available as well. It's a great big old school tank bag.
  16. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF

Oddometer:
  17. Foamfollower

Foamfollower Foamy

Oddometer:
    I ended up buying a Fieldline Motorcycle backpack at Walmart. It was on sale for $17. Seems quite big, but has a slip on type of pocket which slides over the sissy bar (Sissy bar/Back Rest Pouch and strap System). There were 2 different syle, I chose the one that was on sale..:wink: It has outer pockets including Zippered top compartment, hydration compatible.

- "easily slides onto standard motorcycle sissy bar (up to 18" tall"
    - " 21"H x 14"W x 8.5"D "

After I get it on the Bar and give it a try, I'll try reporting back. Its Likely not very water resistant. not high quality.. But it slips over the Sissy Bar, its a backpack and it was $17. Thought I would give it a try

[​IMG]
  18. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    had her about 2 weeks, 2003 under 12000 miles
    [​IMG]

added a National Cycle Street Ex & engine guards so far. Oil & filter done, new brake fluid, did not change the air in the tires.
    Leaning toward Givi E21 bags but in no rush.

My biggest concern is overheating-will it happen? gets pretty warm here in Fl and I wonder if there are specific things to watch out for or to do? larger oil cooler?
  19. the borg

the borg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never had a problem with mine overheating and I rode it in lots of stop and go traffic in 90 - 100 degree heat. It was by far one of my favorite bikes.
  20. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would anyone be interested in trading their Nighthawk for an 05 Yamaha XT225? Bike is in great shape. I just find that if I'm riding offroad I'd rather do it on an ATV. I'm located near Chicago.