F'ing idiots!!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Oct 7, 2013.

1. DR Donk

DR Donk Long timer

Oddometer:
    One time I was stuck behind a guy in a jeep with the top off of it. He was 15mph under the speed limit yacking on his cell phone. When I got a chance to pass him I stayed alongside him with my extra loud slip on exhaust making as much noise as I could. :lol3 I know, not politically correct but it was funny!
  2. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Do NOT buy Stebel if you ever ride your bike in rain or wet or ADV conditions. I've had three die, they're pieces of shit unless treated with kid gloves. Loud as hell for about 3 weeks, then slowly die to a low moo.

EDIT: Why was I stupid enough to buy 3 if they're a POS? Bought original one, it died, took it as bad luck. 3 years later bought another, thinking maybe the quality had improved. Shortly it died. Contacted Stebel, they replaced it under warranty. That one died too, after about 6 weeks.

What I'd recommend instead of a Stebel are Goldwing GL1800 horns. Loud as hell, sound like a train, and Honda has great build quality. Pretty easy to find on CL or eBay. Make sure you get the GL1800 twin horns set.
  3. DirtMedic

DirtMedic Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer:
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That is funny as hell. I use the same technique with loud booming car speakers when I'm in my old car. It has a stroked V-8 with open exhaust, and can easily drown out a $5000 car stereo at 3000 rpm. Smells like race fuel, too. :lol3
  5. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    During the past 6-months, I have (unfortunately) had to commute to work on an 8-5 schedule.

Not once either in the morning, or in the afternoon, have I seen a trooper with anyone pulled over. For anything.

Once, or twice, I've seen troopers at the scenes of accidents, but normally they just sit at strategic locations. Presumably awaiting a call to an accident.

Each day I see many motorists using cell phones for texting, which is illegal here.

The law is useless because it is not enforced.
  6. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    Just to give a UK perspective on the cell phone whilst driving thing. Here, I personally know three close friends who've been busted (fined and points on the licence) for using their phone whilst driving. Two of these were lawyers and didn't fight it, so it must be fairly easily enforceable here.

They're also in the process of introducing speed cameras (God only knows how this will work) that can also detect the driver using a phone, even if the vehicle isn't speeding.
  7. Andy-Gadget

Andy-Gadget Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer:
    I have just returned from five months riding around Europe, and the most scary part was driving with a mate from London, who insisted on having long conversations on his phone, by blue tooth ear fitting.

He acknowledged that texting while driving was illegal, and stated, vehemently, that he didn't do it, but couldn't see that searching for a number on his phone while driving was functionally the same thing.

Because he was "phoning" not "texting", it wasn't illegal, to him, but this didn't mean he was paying attention to where he was going, or who was near. He got well bent out of shape when I complained about this, as he thinks of himself as a motorcyclist, and has a speed record, at Bonneville, to his name, and so thinks the normal laws don't apply to him.

This seems to be a blind spot of all phone users when it comes to cages, they can do it safely in their own imagination, until it all goes pear shaped.

This, multiplied by the vast number of drivers in Europe, was worrying on so many levels.

I haven't ridden in the US, yet, and so can only assume it is the same, if not worse, there.

It was a relief to get home to Un-populated Tasmania, where the law of averages means I am "safer".

8. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    No that just results in them stalling their car once they get startled into motion. :lol3

Impatient people behind do the trick. I love it when in India, everyone blips their horn when the light turns green. Sometimes it is awkward to monitor the light when you are in front, or you are just busy texting or something. Then it is nice if others are so considerate to help out :1drink
  9. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you feel about people adjusting their music system while driving?
  10. Mgbgt89

Mgbgt89 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love driving a stick. Then when some asshole honks at me for looking both ways before flooring it into the intersection I can drop the clutch and stall it. :rofl
  11. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I dunno, automated cars only FURTHER dumbs down driving and removes the driver from the activity. I'm not too keen on the idea. I can see it already, a driver claiming "I thought the car was still on auto-pilot, I didn't even realize what was happening!"
  12. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a guy honk at me once after the light had changed. I got out, walked back to his car and then said "Sorry, I thought you knew me and were saying hello." He said sorry too. :lol3
    It's good for you to hold off on the confrontational rudeness just because you have been inconvenienced by a few seconds. You will become a happier person. :deal
  13. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    This guy I once worked with in Houston, big guy, was in a little Toyota at a light and the lady behind him honked as soon as the light went green.

He put the car in park, unfolded himself from it and walked back to the lady.

As he tells it she was cowering, looking very frightened. He lightly tapped on her window, smiling.

She inches it down just a little.

He asked, "Did you honk?"

She nodded.

He then said, "The horn is designed and installed on cars as an attention-getting device and I wanted you to know that you now have my complete and undivided attention. Is there anything I can do to help you?"

She shook her head no.

He got back in his car, waited for the next green and went on his way.

I loved that story when he told it and still love it today.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    THIS ^^^ Stop sniveling and go around them. :1drink
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a faster bike. :lol3
  16. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Good one. I was thinking specifically of left-turn lanes, but when I think about stop lights on through lanes it makes more sense to go around.
  17. Mat

Mat Tosser

Oddometer:
    Bah, I always give them a thumbs-up because I look at it as them helping me. If someone sleeps through the light and then gets upset at a helpful honk they are idiots.

If it is an aggressive honk, on the other hand, that would be uncalled for usually, totally agreed. Unless they get out of their car to chat :wink:
  18. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    I've ALWAYS wanted to do that but was too chicken. I figured I'd get a snootful of pissed off fist for my wise crackery.
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, I've never read the law per se but I would assume as long as the engine is running, in a public ROW, its against the law.
  20. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    The Stebel to buy has the air intake on the front that has a hose barb. The horn must be mounted vertically, and a tygon hose attached to the air intake, then run up under the tank or in some location where it will only ingest clean dry air. If this is done and a little light oil sprayed into the intake while the horn is operated at the time of every oil change, the horn will last a long time.