Klim Adventure Suit

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by osteo, Dec 3, 2009.

1. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many of you have seen the new Klim Adv Suit, but I had the opportunity to have the Demo model for a few days and took a few pictures. Klim has made a PDF pamphlet for it, which I also have, (and can email out if someone is interested) which gives all the details of the suit.

I was not allowed to wear it on the bike and get it dirty, but I did take the time to sort it out and take a bunch of pictures and I must say, it is pretty sweet! - albeit expensive (at least for me!).

So, with that being said, I'll hit you with the msrp prices here in Canada and then show you the pic's:
    Jacket: $1499 (cdn)
    Pants: $999 (cdn)

But, as I said it is loaded with features, I took screen shots of the pamphlet to give you an idea first:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The above pic shows the internal harness. It is akin to the straps of a backpack, but they are integrated with the inside of the jacket + a sternum strap in the front on a real cool pivot. The idea is when the back pockets are loaded with junk, the internal harness spreads the load over your shoulders like a back pack would. That is one thing I did not try and should have, is load all the pockets up and put it on, I am told it is pretty amazing.

[​IMG]
    I've never seen Gore-Tex that thick before and I have my fair share of crazy climbing jackets...

This is the real cool part:
    [​IMG]

If you can't read the text, basically the orange shaded areas are padding. But a special padding that normally is soft and pliable - they look like orange rubber dots, but upon impact they harden/stiffen up to absorb and deflect forces - a real cool idea.

Finally the options with the Leatt:
    [​IMG]

And now the real world pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To give an idea on sizing, I'm 6' and 185lbs. The jacket I have on is a Large and the pants are 34"s. The jacket is designed to be worn without any other protective gear (aside from the Leatt) and I am not sure if I would be better off with a medium as it is a bit baggy. The pants are perfect, I might consider their Long size, but otherwise for my waist the velcro adjuster is in the middle of its range.

Would I shell out $2400 for a suit like this??... good question... i don't know much about the new Rev'it suits so I honestly can't give a comparison, but I have seen and considered the BMW Rally suit - and I can say that in my opinion the Klim Suit would easily come out tops.

So, if you are in the market and looking to spend $$ in that area, you should at least try to take a look at one of these.

D
  2. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fantastic suit, I don't doubt it's very nice and typical Klim quality but HOLY FUCK is that a lot of duckets for a jacket & pants.

Some gear I'll look past because of a question of worth, but it's not often I discard one based on sheer affordability. $2500 for a riding suit? I'd fucking cry if it got torn, or dirty, or someone looked at it funny.
  3. KaceCoyote

KaceCoyote Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning my first Klim purchase here before too terribly long, and am certainly in the market for gear but HOLY FUCK that shit is expensive.

I'm sorry but anything beyond 250 for a jacket, and I just cant hack it.
  4. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    It's nice. But for $2500, I would fly to Minnesota and get custom fitted.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Plus 1

6. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Remember that the prices quoted are in Canada. They will most likely be about half that in the States. We always get screwed by manufacturers here in the Great White North.
  7. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like the major breakthrough here is the harness to carry stuff. Who wants to carry a bunch of weight in their jacket? That's what panniers and tailbags are for. I do like the idea of an improved neck closure to keep the rain out, but not enough to pay that kind of dough.
  8. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking about that too. But it's nice to have the option, if you're playing in the dirt without your panniers on.

It is $2500 CDN, so the US price will be a bit less. It's made with the materials I like and it's a good looking suit.

I have an RP2. If I was in the market, I'd be looking at the Klim and RP3 as the best adventure gear. It would probably come down to venting.

Hey osteo,

Thanks for posting this. Good stuff!
  9. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    I really really want - but not for 1300 Sterling or 2k dollars :cry I'd be afraid to get it wet, let alone dirty!
  10. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    I did enjoy checking it out, integrated water bladder and everything!

If I still had my 950 and was doing longer trips (and I had not already bought a crap load of Klim stuff) then I would give it some serious consideration - as it is pretty fantastic. Those rubber zippers for the vents are pretty slick - the 2 pieces of rubber get sandwiched together when you pull the zipper, no leak.

The light grayer areas in the shoulders, elbows, high contact areas as little bumpity things for abrasion (good for sliding), like someone said attention to detail is top notch. Hell, even the zipper pulls have little coverings or hoods to keep the rain out . It even has an integrated kidney belt (just think of the money saved right there :lol3 :lol3 ).

But these days I ride my 450 a lot, lots of trails, single/double track and the 950 is gone :cry

The super nice feature is the collar on the jacket and the Leatt, the option to use it with or without one, either way it works nice.

I was worried when it is worn with the Leatt and you have it all done up that the water would pool at the back of the neck as the Leatt tilts in towards the neck at the back. That's why I took the picture of the back of the neck/helmet. What we figure is that when sitting on the bike we tend to be a tiny bit forward, that combined with the way the collar sits it should allow the water to roll forward and off as opposed to pooling.

I've no idea what the US price is, I think Atomic-Moto (or whatever that store is) is often a fair bit less when he is selling his Klim stuff, so I would imagine it would be a little easier to swallow.

D
  11. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    I have been wearing Klim riding pants for years and they are very well made. My mountaineering gear is made from the Pro Shell Gore-Tex that this suit is made with and it is very strong and difficult to tear. The combination of Klim quality and the Pro Shell fabric should make this suit an excellent investment for years of riding. The price seems to be about what I would expect from a product with these features and materials. Klim is not making their stuff for Walmart shoppers.

Looking forward to seeing this suit in person.
  12. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    This is true, this suit you would buy once and not need it again for a very very long time.
    I have 3 pairs of their pants (2 Dakar), jerseys, gloves, fleece, etc... and the Valdez Parka as my bad/cold weather riding jacket that I cut the collar off to fit my Leatt that is only 2yrs old and still looks brand new (aside from the cutting!) - so it is a hard justification for me at this time.

When the wife saw it, she was impressed and said I should get one :eek1 :eek1 I almost fell off my chair! and then I told her the price, and she still saw the value of what I was wearing! (I love her :raabia ) it was and is a lot of thought making me hold off.

D
  13. motomark39

motomark39 I reckon so Supporter

Oddometer:
    :fyyff They spent too much on engineers and fancy diagrams. HEY KLIM, I'll stay with gear just as good for much less, :fyyff
  14. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    Wow that is a nice suite. they have some really nice and inovative things in it. I can see competitors in the Dakar rally using one of these or maybe someone who is doing a RTW trip but honestly I could probably buy the ten gallon gas tank setup for my XRR and a small 2smoke for the woods...or this suite :lol3

I mean really, how many days do you think you could travel on 2500 bucks?
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    That's one of the best suits I've ever seen. Love the neck brace cover option, etc

But I have to agree that's one steep price!

Hey Osteo, classic photo's of ya , lol, you trying to make me laugh in this one?

[​IMG]
  16. Xeraux

Xeraux Archvillain

Oddometer:
    :eek1

That looks like a GREAT suit!!

I'm adding this to the list of potential Rallye 2 Pro replacements. (I'm not going to buy the Rallye 3. :bluduh)

But I tell ya'... Klim's gotta get a better model for their gear.

:hide

:D
  17. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    haha!, it was the wife taking the pic's and she was being a bit of a joker!, so I had to reply in said fashion :lol3

D
  18. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the price naysayers, the price is in $CDN, as already stated. Just as a point of refrence...up here we pay a little less than $2000 CDN for a BMW RP2suit. I paid $400 for my Olympia Bushwacker.

This Klim suit looks like is has NO compromises, and is absoute top of the line. This is not in the same league as Olympia or even Aerostich or Motoport. This is a Rally/Race suit as much as a touring suit. While it may be more than you require, it still looks to be a fair price for the quality/technology.

There will always be products that folks can't afford/arn't willing to pay for this level of product (myself included), but that's not a reason for insulting a manufacture of what looks to be a superior product. Not to mention Klim seems to be one of the few manufactures that pay any serious attention to the Dual Sport/Enduro market.

As for the carrying harness, if you look at it as a race suit, there is a list of things that rally racers are required to carry on their person, including a fair amount of water. The purpose of the harness is more about stabilizing the load and 12-18 hour day comfort than it is about carring lots of stuff.

That d30 armor looks pretty neat (and expensive). A real advantage for a racer (see above), but who knows, if the demand is there perhaps they will offer the suit at a lower price point with a more standard style of CE armor.
  19. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    I think the d30 armor adds a lot of cost....polymer based soft armor that hardens at impact....a few of the 2010 First Gear jackets (Rainier is one)have it and they are up over the $400 mark which is high for a First Gear product.....but that d30 looks promising for protection.

http://www.d3o.com/products.php

Scroll down for MC related stuff
  20. johnnyandjebus

johnnyandjebus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

agreed with the above.

While I will never pay 2000 plus$$ for a riding suit, the great thing about this suit is that over time the design concepts will trickle down into more affordable riding gear.
    A beautiful piece of equipment!!