KLIM...who's got it? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Shizoku, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Shizoku

Shizoku Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reading through the Ride Report threads here, I've noticed the KLIM gear appears in a good number of these reports. I'm starting to look for road gear as I start to plan for a couple long distance trips. Thoughts on KLIM or other stuff built for the long haul?

[​IMG]

http://www.klim.com/shop/index.ssp#/motorcycle/

Dave in Valencia
  2. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    There's like three 500 page threads on Klim jackets/pants. Just go a couple pages back on this Equipment forum.
  3. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    What he said. lots of Klim gear threads here. Gear is a "personal" decision. Some people like layer systems, some like shells. If you're a shell guy, you might like Klim. I certainly do.
  4. Fastman

Fastman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About a month ago, I switched from a well worn Aerostich Darien to a Klim Latitude Misano and am extremely pleased. A quote I heard at the Falling Leaf Rally: "Klim is the new Aerostich" and I'd have to believe it based on the number of folks I saw wearing Klim jackets and/or pants.
  5. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a Klim Lattitude for everyday riding here in the UK. Baring in mind there's not a great deal of temperature variation (it rarely gets that warm!), it's brilliant - the Goretex is excellent. I really like the idea of being able to wear warmer layers underneath, and having the waterproof layer on the outside; no faffing with liners! That said, I have a Companero suit for my travelling. Although you have to find somewhere to store the outer Goretex parts, which some people will hate, I LOVE the mesh armoured under suit. On a recent trip to Morocco, when temperatures reached 43 degrees centigrade, it was a God send. It was also excellent when I rode back through southern France in some of the heaviest rain I've ever had!

Check out the Klim stuff - it's excellent.
  6. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Yup. I bought a used latitude jacket and pant. Wore it for a few rides (mine didnt keep me completely dry though:deal)

Got rear ended one day. I was going 30, the chick was going around 70. I was thrown 15 feet in the air according the the witness, then I bounced a few times before sliding. no broken bones. The only "road rash" i got was from where the right shoulder pad slightly shifted as my jacket is a little loose on me. so i had a pink spot the size of a dime for like a day. no broken bones either. there was a few scuffs and the arm klim logo is partially ripped off. still rocking the gear today.

The older gear vents pretty well. Im sure the extra vents on the new gear are very welcome. but the used price was too good to pass up. Just remember that its a technical shell. Its water proof. but youll need the fleece or heated under layers for warmth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. spinblue

spinblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang Dood. Congratulations on making it out as well as you did.
  8. MrSandman818

Oddometer:
    Thanks dude. I was off the bike for 6 months. Got some parts in and put it all back together. Been on a few street rides. Longest was around 130 miles which isn't a whole lot. And did a nice ride with a bunch of dirt bikes. 225-650's. They were amazed that I was able to keep up on the single track and hill climbs. Made it up this one nasty hill that a few of the dirt bikes looped out on. I was pretty stoked!

As for the gear. Still rocking it today. I'm sure the right arm where I slid isn't going to be waterproof anymore, but I'll just get that waterproofing spray and be done with it.
  9. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like someone else said already, gear is a personal choice. That choice generally comes down to budget more than anything else. If you've got the money for Klim, go for it. If not, I'd argue that you can find a comparable piece (or at least somewhat close) of equipment for half as much money or less in many cases if you look at companies like Olympia, First Gear, Joe Rocket, etc.

I'm sure Klim makes good stuff, I just think they are prohibitively expensive for many people. I thought Aerostich was expensive until I found Klim's site :lol3
  10. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you think Klim is expensive, take a look at Rukka. Taking expensive to a whole new level.

I'm looking at a Klim Latitude myself.....
  11. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    One thing that keeps me from klim is all the logos on all their stuff , geez you would feel like a walking stock car in all of that .:lol3
  12. MrSandman818

Oddometer:
    Sharpie that shit out then. Then you'll have "subdued logos"
  13. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear their dirt gear and it is the best fitting stuff I have ever had. Super comfortable even on hot days. Been lusting at their jackets for some time. Maybe if I am good I can get Santa to drop some off at Christmas.
  14. tcall52

tcall52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a relatively new owner of an Overland jacket. So far, it's the best jacket I've ever had. Very comfortable, and I believe it has equivalent or better rain and crash protection compared to my Darien. I also like the Latitude, but really didn't see the need to spend an extra couple hundred dollars for the extra pockets and venting, but that's just me. The Latitude is a great jacket, but it's nice to have a range of choices.

In any event, there seems to be plenty of evidence that Klim produces high quality gear, whatever type you're looking for. I also have a Klim Stowaway, which is now the only raincoat I use both on (hot weather) and off the bike.
  15. rootsy

rootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Dakar pants. I picked up a couple pairs new, on sale for $80. Best offroad/onroad pants I've used for dry weather.

Built well, perform well, great value. Klim has a broad range of products and pricing and has stood behind their gear for me.
  16. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch, just looked them up :eek1
  17. UnitedFan

UnitedFan GSA in W.C. PA

Oddometer:
    As one of the other riders mentioned this is a technical piece of kit. I wear Gore-Tex products for a host of outdoor activities so when it came time for riding gear there was no other direction for me. I was very surprised to see jackets with the waterproof membrane on the inside of the jacket. I went with what I was comfortable with. The venting is brilliant. If you are moving even in the hottest, 90+, weather there is enough ventilation to be comfortable. For short commutes I wear a RevIt Airwave.... For trips, the Klim gear is my go to. I have both the pants and jacket in the Badlands line. I do not think you can buy better. As good? I will concede that. You will have to find it as I do not have any recommendations...... Best of luck.
  18. Wy'east

Wy'east Dust in the wind...

Oddometer:
    I'm a big fan of the Badlands Pro. Was it worth it? For what you get -definitely.

If you ride in cooler temps. just try it on with your undergarment/extra layers. As somebody mentioned the jackets are more of a shell so while a L might fit comfortably,one might need and XL to accommodate the layers.

And as for the rest of their gear, it all performs.
  19. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many use the Synergy 2.0? For $211 with a controller ?
  20. Nacho911

Nacho911 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the badlands. Love the gear. Looks good feels good, safe, and damn dry. Very well made. Very rider inspired. I'd like the know bads to be a bit wider, that's my only complain.

Love them