Shorai battery for KTM990/LC8

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cyborg, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    I didn't find many pictures of the new Shorai battery alternative for the LC8 in OC so I thought I'd post my install.

Shorai is a new company in the US. I met the President of Shorai USA, David Radford, at the Seattle Motorcycle Show this year. The batteries looked amazing, and so light I thought they were just demo cases with nothing in them, but David said no, they were the real thing.

Read up here:
    http://www.shoraipower.com/

I got one for my 2007 KTM 990S. The original lead acid battery was finally dying and I needed a new one. I wanted to try something new and these appeared just in time. I decided to give this new Lithium Iron Phosphate battery technolgy a try.

I chose the LFX18A1-BS12. It came in a box with a selection of sticky-one-side foam strips to help it fit the usually larger space the OEM battery took. You have to trim to whatever fit you want

[​IMG]

Here is a physical comparison of the
    OEM 8.6lb Lead/Acid v.s. 2.12lb Shorai (6.48lb difference)
    weighed on my digital postage scale at home, not a lab test scale.

Front
    [​IMG]

Side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I trimmed a few foam pieces and installed in the sides of the rubber OEM battery base

[​IMG]

Then installed the battery in the rubber base

[​IMG]

and installed in the bike. Note the foam strip I used in the top lid of the battery box to help hold the little Shorai battery in place.

[​IMG]

That's it. Quick and easy install.

I topped off the battery with a Shorai approved Battery Tender

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Then came the test. WOW! It cranks the bike with serious authority easily as good or better than the OEM Yuasa lead/acid, even at 30F in my garage. Bike fired right up first crank. At real cold temps, the first cranking cycle may seem slow, but it heats the battery internally (a good thing) and 2nd crank cycle and after will be full force. I was impressed. Tried half a dozen starts after the first one and it spun the bike over quick every time!

Happy customer so far. :thumb

Now for the long term testing with my all year, all season commuting and trips, heated gear, etc...

BTW, I got mine at the first local biz to get them in the Seattle area, I was anxious :lol3 They also offer an ADVrider discount.

http://www.advmachines.com/category_s/77.htm

other stocking dealers listed here:
    http://www.shoraipower.com/t-shorai-dealers.aspx
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Thanks for the pics and write up. I am in the market for a new battery too. How much are they?
  3. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Don't know for Canada, got mine in WA here:
    http://www.advmachines.com/category_s/77.htm
    This link has prices. They are in Bellingham, close to the border :evil
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Fair price as far as I can tell. I will give Alternate Cycle in Kamloops a shout. He seems to be the only dealer in Canuckistan so far. Cheers :1drink
  5. twodollardoug

twodollardoug the calimesa kid

Oddometer:
    very cool cyborg. i just bought the same battery from cj. looks like the install was a piece of cake. did you have to do anything funky with the connections? or did they land right on the posts?
  6. cyborg

Oddometer:
    The Shorai sits about a 1/2 inch further inwards than OEM in my install but the cables had no problems connecting.
  7. proeasy

proeasy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These guys had a booth/display at the Motorcycle Show this weekend in Detroit (Novi) Amazing how light it was compared to lead acid.

Will be interesting to follow field performance

Paul
  8. motorzen

motorzen Internet Antagonist

Oddometer:
    motorzen likes this!

Thanks for the writeup cyborg! Good info.

If I can get my 6 month old "batteries plus" battery going, I'm gonna ride up to bellyham to grab one of these.
  9. hilslamer

hilslamer 2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer:
    Good post, thanks...I was goin got do this but have been too distracted with other stuff. Looking forward to seeing how all of these batteries last or work int he longer run...I would gladly buy one a tthe same rate the lead-acid batteries have died on me just on account of the starting and reserve power, not to mention the weight savings.

Cheers!
  10. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to provide the comparison and details of the simple install. Like others, I too will be interested in seeing how this battery holds up over time. The weight savings seems substantial, even though to begin with that mass is already about as low as it can get on the bike. Should help with pulling off those nac-nacs a little quicker now! :evil
  11. knobbyjoe

knobbyjoe Adventure and dirt rider

Oddometer:
    Cyborg,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    +1 on the excellent write up and pics. Good Job:clap<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have the TurnTech 5.0 Amp Hour battery which is I believe a similar type battery in my 450 2008 xcrw. The battery is about a year old and has never fail except once. I was riding with lights on, fan going and stopped by a sheriff. I left the lights on for a few minutes, trying to be a nice safe guy. It would not electric start but kicked right over with the Ol' foot. Since then I think 5ah is a little low.

Question: your bat Cyborg is a LFx18A1-BS12. Is it is a 18Amp Hour? I should call the company but Just wondering out loud?:1drinkIf so that would be great for my 990.
    KJ
  12. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, That's what the "18" stands for in there Part number system.

Great write up Cliff.:clap

We're stocking these and getting all our 950/990's setup w/ these for this season's trips. Can't wait to get back to Moab in March.:thumb
  13. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:

Are you sure ? I thought they were BS12 - 12Ah batteries. 18Ah is way over kill, no ?

edit : just checked their website and found that you were indeed correct. BS12 = 12V. Sorry for that.
  14. cyborg

Oddometer:
    The more Ah the merrier when you run extra loads like heated gear & grips or you forget the GPS on when the bike is off :huh. I'm sure a lesser Ah version would work just as well in terms of starting the bike. The Ah doesn't relate as much to starting, just longer term drawdown if your alternator is not quite keeping up. The cranking amps is what is of more concern for spinning the starter quick. You can go way overkill on cold cranking amps if the bike say only uses 200CCA peak and you get a 480CCA battery. The system can't use/doesn't need that much current. I don't know what my 990S uses peak, but the OEM Yuasa is 190CCA IIRC and the Shorai spins the bike harder and faster than the lead/acid Yuasa so I don't think I need much more.
  15. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Never mind - followed linky to Shorai site and getting a yes to part number!

Any of you EE types have thoughts on working with an older scoot?

This one needs new battery -

[​IMG]
  16. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Clean looking bike. Congrats.:thumb

What are you looking for?
  17. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the great write-up. Sorry if I missed it but do we know the weight difference between a stocker and the Shorai?

thanks!
  18. Shakeyhands

Shakeyhands Goober

Oddometer:

From the OP

19. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    Thanks for comps on bike - really looking forward to a ride. It's been under a sheet in CA for the last 12 years and I'm getting her flying again.

I was wondering aloud and rather too quickly, if this new fangled lion technology would make an elderly R bike happy or confused. Went direct to Shorai site and found answer - seemingly a yes. :clap
  20. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:

Trying to order from this site - what is our coupon code for discount? :ear

Tried ADV and ADVrider but no luck. :cry