LEFTHAND CANYON there and back challenge

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by 87mcmahan87, Apr 22, 2012.

1. 87mcmahan87

87mcmahan87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys this is my innaugural post to ADVrider and im proud to be a member. I would like to post a time trial challenge to those Colorado riders. This is strictly by the honor system for the fun of it. If you havent been to lefthand canyon in boulder then you wont know what im talking about but look it up and head on over to give this a whirl. Dont try it unless you are fairly confident in your enduro skills as it is an "extreme" trail. The trail is called Spruce Gulch #818 and #816 on the other side. (Correct me if I am wrong) It is only about 3 miles one way i believe but its downhill from either entrance and once you are in theres no way out other than the trail.

The challenge is to start at the "white rock" side, start your time, make your way all the way down and out the other side, turn around and do it all in reverse until you are back at the white rock you started at. All breaks and turnaround time at the midpoint are included in your total time. Once you make it all the way through and back to the white rock stop your time and post it on this thread!

There are a couple of extra gnarly trees down making for some added rodeo and or detouring as of today. 4/22/2012

My first attempt and bar setting time: 45 minutes flat

definately room to improve but i probably waont do it again for at least a few weeks lol
  2. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Look who's finally on ADV.

Glad you joined - but 45 minutes out-n-back?? :eek1 Bite me, you win.

Guess that makes you twice as fast without me slowing you down. You on the 300?
  3. silverboy

silverboy Bunny

Oddometer:
    I did it one way with a flat during a rainstorm in 15 minutes on a 950 super enduro. Should be easy to beat 45....
    :freaky
  4. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
    That reminds me of this short toprope in Eldorado canyon called Northcut variation of Bastille Crack. I think it went at hard 5.10, but was very sequency so people had a hard time with it. I had it wired and used to go up to people on my way home.

Jim:"Whats that you climbing, it looks fun."

Random climber:"Its called Northcut variation."

Jim:"Could I try your toprope."

By this time they are tired and frustrated

Random Climber:" Sure go ahead."

Jim rips up it in about 2 minutes:"Thanks for the rope."

You must have Spruce Gulch wired
  5. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    Brooks and Forest can do it about 12 minutes one way.
  6. silverboy

silverboy Bunny

Oddometer:

Your right, just like Eldo sandbagging. Its more like climbing Vitamin D naked with a watermelon tied to your arse....
  7. arroyo

arroyo ??????????

Oddometer:
    I imagine trials bikes don't count ;(

I could probably beat 45 hours on the xr650r depending on how long it takes me to disassemble the bike and carry out the pieces...
  8. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've heard that Toddler and Xplor do it in about 25 min, and will cut a tree or two, rubuild a turn and pack some trash out as well.
  9. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    What does rebuilding a turn consist of on that trail?
  10. Tha Rick

Oddometer:
    Pushing a rock or two into the area where a rider dug a rut, and removing rock's, tree branches, etc.. from corners, kinda so that cutting the corner is tougher. Toddler, Xplor are proactive at trail maintainence.:clap

Rick
  11. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Damn... I was hoping someone was going to build me some nice berms. I would specifically like to order one for that straight down switchback with the sharp right.

I was actually surprised there wasn't more deadfall this winter. I'm pretty certain I had the first big-bike tracks down there this year and I had less than a dozen little trees to move to clear it off. It's in decent shape overall. A few of the switchbacks after the crux rock are really starting to get trenched out though. Not sure what the answer's going to be for that.
  12. Tha Rick

Oddometer:

Toddler, Xplor, and Antipaul to the white courtesy phone..:D

Oh- and Silverboy!!
  13. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for Silver on this one. He had his virgin Spruce run on Saturday.. and I'm fairly certain I excavated more than he did.
  14. 87mcmahan87

87mcmahan87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha good job on the 950superenduro!! ;) dang i didnt get any email notification i thought noone posted on this yet. anyway.. would still like to hear some times. I fixed the double down logs and the other one that was sitting a few feet off the ground. They are still obstacles but u dont have to go around now.
  15. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    You gotta adjust the notification settings in your profile.

Thanks for fixing the new logs. I almost dropped in again on Sunday, but thought better with it getting late and raining.. maybe this weekend?
  16. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    How about tomorrow, (Thursday the 10th) Late afternoon ride? I have a shock to rebuild this evening and if that works out I plan on riding some singletrack, perhaps spruce, on the old KDX. 5:00 is the earliest I would be out there if I can go.
  17. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Not likely going to ride today. I got the shock done just fine and... then sprung a rear master cylinder leak.
  18. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    normally I'd be game, but it appears I'll still be wrenchin on the 300
  19. tcrider

tcrider G/S Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm game for the spruce gulch ride today if someone wants to go with and not any later. Otherwise, I'll just ride the easy trails.
  20. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Was actually thinking the same thing myself.. getting ready now. trying to be out there by 5:30-5:45.. up for doing an out-n-back.