GS Trophy Challange Bike Prep

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by HalfPlate, Aug 10, 2012.

1. drewcrew

drewcrew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've thrown my hat in the ring for Moab. Went last year. The trails are uncomparable, and the Rawhyde crew can't be topped. Any other riders from the Michigan area headin out there?
  2. Virtual Farmer

Virtual Farmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gents, I'm glad to see so much chatter about this. I too am headed out to "The Challenge" and have prepping my GS as well. Of course besides the tires, gear and such I'm also trying to get comfortable with pitching my new Triple Black into the red dirt a few dozen times day :D. I've went through the RawHyde camp last Jan and agree it's a top notch place to learn. I was however a little surprised at the lack of communication from those guys on this event. I responded to their initial email with some questions and followed up with a phone call over two weeks ago but haven't heard a peep as a response to either.

I'm coming from Denver and will probably haul my GS so that I don't spend 8 hours on knobbies getting there and back so if anyone else from this area is heading over drop me a note.
  3. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Anybody received more information on the east coast trophy challenge? I received my confirmation but no additional info. Guess we just show up at 1:00 on the 21st?
  4. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better trailer it coming all the way from Denver huh?
    It's not Sturgis you know... :lol3

I'll be riding to the same event from SF Bay.

--
    Mikko
  5. fitenfyr

fitenfyr Dirt is Good

Oddometer:
    Busy time of year for a small crew so I expect that they are buried under the couple hundred e-mails they had to answer coming back from 3 continental divide trips and some more Intro camps.
    Mike and I were there last year so shoot your questions here maybe we can answer them for you.
    Headed out on Sunday from here.

6. Bionicflite

Bionicflite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Untill fracturing my wrist on Friday on the BC Trail ride up here in Canada..I was also headed to the GS Challenge on my 2010 hotrodded GSA.
    Anyone will agree my GSA is a rocket ship.

I will not go into the performance mods but will suggest a slipper clutch....if anyone making a comment to your request knows what hard riding can do to these motors this is one of the first lines of defense.

Same thing with skid plates...if your is mounted to your motor and not to your frame like the Black Dog CW units ...you are missing the issue.

Every bracket/guard you can mount wont hurt.

Side bags on your crash bars will save you $$...fill them up.

Pivot Pegz MkIII....steering with the pegs will be a must.

Just few of the functional mods you will need to help navigate the rough stuff.

Good Luck:clap
  7. Virtual Farmer

Oddometer:
    Fitenfyr,
    It looks like you are correct. I just got an email yesterday from Jim at Rawhyde saying they were busy with the CD trips. My original question to him was what exactly the entry fee covered and here was his response "the ARC includes… a shirt, camping fees, all meals (8 of them) , a beer and beverage package, maps of the area, … 15 documented rides ". My only other question was getting between the campsites. If the terrain was too gnarly I planned to remove panniers but it sounds like I should expect to keep it all loaded up. Please let me know if you hear something different.
    Thanks
  8. Virtual Farmer

Oddometer:
    I suppose I deserved that. I just didn't want to super slab it for 16 hours on brand new knobbies in the dark since I plan to drive out after work on Thursday. If it helps, this will be the first time I've ever "trailered" a GS. If I could get more time off work I would look for an all dirt route the whole way there but I'm having a tough time fitting this in as it is.
  9. SHOELESS

SHOELESS Swine Pilot

Oddometer:
    My good intentions of doing the challenge went out the door last Weds night by dislocating my right shoulder..........
  10. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    The RawHyde people say they are sending out a big e-mail with news on Friday. The event is at the Moab Valley RV park on the North side of town. They don't want you to show up early because there is some other event there before the GS challenge starts. Dave
  11. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Yes.. I'm waiting for more info too.
  12. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    heading down from VT on the 18th.... anyone going to SC from the NE:ear

putting some tourances on and changing to TKC's down there:evil can't see wasting a good set of knobbies just to get there:D

Let's rip it up Boy's and girls?!
  13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Talked to the training center in Spartanburg yesterday and said packages should go out soon. Watch your mailbox boys and girls!
  14. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  15. GS_Jay

GS_Jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got an e-mail from the event site today (gulches off road park) and being my back yard essentially... You guys are gonna have a rocking good time! I have been out there in a lifted land cruiser and broke some stuff!!! I figured they'd do it at the performance center...
  16. razor1

razor1 BMW Performance Center

Oddometer:
    There will be events at the BMW Performance Center and Gulches off road park. Stay tuned for more information.

Ray
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    All good points except the gas part. I thought I would be all scientific and calculate the gas needs for my GSA during LAB2V last year to lighten up the bike. Rode into Baker on fumes the first day, stalling twice after the longest sand wash ride of my life. All I could think about was how embarrassing it would be to get picked up by sweep and out of gas with a 8.7 gallon tank.

Lesson learned ... what's 5 or 6 pounds of fuel matter when the bike already weighs 560lbs?

I just wish the west version was the same price as the east version. Looks to be about a $1,000 all in to do the Rawhyde version. You guys must be all big bucks guys.

Good Luck, will look for you all on the score sheets.
  18. fitenfyr

fitenfyr Dirt is Good

Oddometer:
    The Moab GS Challenge will all be based out of the RV park on the north end of town.
    You won't be moving camp at all during the event.
    Jim just sent out the tracks today for the Challenge and Friday we should get the rest of the stuff.
    DO NOT show up before Wednesday night for sure.
    If you are planning on being in the area before then go get 'lost" on one of the great "Jeep tracks" out there and camp out is my suggestion.
    There MAYBE some places in the RV park before Thursday, but nothing will be setup and ready for anyone till Wednesday night at the EARLIEST.
    There is a TON of work getting this all organized.
    I helped out last year and am going down again this year to get camp setup and probably serve some food during the event so trust me on this one.
    If you want to get down early check out the white rim trail. In my opinion that would be a great place to kill a night if you wanted to.
    I am going to try and sneak out and ride it Wed or Thurs myself if I can find somebody to drag along. :D
    See ya there...:clap
  19. TwistedNerve

TwistedNerve n00b

Oddometer:
    Morning 'Gents,

Newish to the forum and just discovered the GS Trophy event yesterday. Registered and confirmed this A.M. for the East Coast Qualifier. I suppose I belong in the "Parallel Universe" subforum, but this is the only thread I found on the event.

Prepping the 800GS with the following-
    Gearing down 19% with a 47T rear sprocket and 15T front (42/16 stock).
    Heidenau K60 Rear - Conti TKC 80 Front
    Bringing a spare shift lever
    Contemplating purchasing/installing engine guards/crash bars

I watched a few preview videos from the event in Germany. Noticed a lot of guys plotting GPS coordinates. I am pretty handy with a map & compass, should I consider a GPS?

Look forward to seeing you guys down there. Names isAndrew - 27 y/o - 2010 Black/Orange F800GS - Leaving from Fredericksburg, VA if anyone wants to group up for the ride down.
  20. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have strong opinions about the need for the crashbar extensions from advdesigns?