New watch has visible flaws, what to do?

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by hillbillypolack, Apr 17, 2013.

1. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Last year I received a number of patents, and to celebrate this little accomplishment I sprung for a new watch. It's a chrono I'd wanted since it was announced, total MSRP near $4k. It has a number of technical bells and whistles - hardened case steel, antireflective crystal coating, black galvanized face and a small capsule in the case which shows blue when there is moisture within the case. It is filled with inert argon to maximize the life of the oil.

Yeah, it's a nerd's watch.

After receiving the watch, I noticed that capsule showed blue. I also noticed that the chrono subdials were not consistent. The usual grooves which disperse glare were evenly executed on one, the other looked like an LP record - wavy and irregular. To add to it, these dials show slightly brown in some light - not like the black galvanized main face.

You can see both issues with a naked eye, no loupe necessary.

I haven't (yet) insisted to return or exchange the watch, mostly because I'd still like a better example of this chrono. An email to the manufacturer resulted in an offer to repair the moisture capsule and examine the subdials. I'm partly thinking that if they can't get things properly looking like a $4k watch, I'll take my business elsewhere. The dials should be black not brown IMHO.

That was communicated to the manufacturer, where I had some other models serviced when I owned those pieces.

I'll let you know the manufacturer of the watch in a bit (not a very well known brand, but very robust), with appropriate pics. Thanks.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Tell them your concerns and ask for a replacement watch.

If they send you something else, return it within the 30 days.
  3. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1.

4k for a watch? It better be perfect or it's going back.
  4. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never heard of Sinn. A friend bought an Audemars-Piaget years ago after some milestone in his life. It was about $14,000. He said it was a real pain and had to go back to Switzerland several times for repair.

Why didn't you notice the issues when you bought it? Did you buy it... on line?
  5. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Did he say it is a Sinn? I hope not, they have several models I like and would consider buying.

Interested on how this turns out.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a top shelf item like a $4k watch ask for a new watch. There is nothing wrong with demanding the quality you're supposedly paying for.
  7. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    The finish is the finish, imo, and subdials of different material / finishing techniques can differ from the dial face in general. That, imo, is to be expected. Sometimes it's intentional...dunno if it's the case in your watch.

It's a frustration to me that most of these rare brands where I don't get an up close & personal examination just because so few people carry Sinn, so you don't know till you actually get it.

If there's a waviness to one subdial vs. another you might have a point of cosmetic finish to argue. Is it guilloched, or starburst? If you bought it from the retailer, that'd possibly be something I'd consider...but really, w/o a pic, it's hard to say...hell, worth a shot...you're not the expert as to how it's supposed to look...maybe a subpar dial got through Q/A. If you bought it used, it'll cost ya.
  8. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    If you can get a new watch from them, do so.

I bought a watch for my wife, wedding anniversary stuff, was giving problems from first use. After 4 attempts by the original vendor to fix the problem, I took it to another shop with an in-house repair facility. The head horologist told me the problem looked like a factory error and needed the whole watch sent back! Showed how the the attempts at fixing issue was making the problem worse.

4 months later, watch was back, no problem since, I had to pay for the repair and shipping.
  9. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    A common theme with the high dollar watches is the ongoing maintenance costs. Usually they're not the most accurate either. A buddy buys $12K Rolexes and complains how his $40 Timex is more accurate and runs forever with no required annual maintenance. Kinda like owning a Ferrari...the acquisition costs are just the beginning!
  10. kawalaser

kawalaser Hip to be square

Oddometer:

is it this?

[​IMG]

11. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of guys on this site that are very keen about watches. Personally, I would expect perfection and wouldn't be happy unless I had what I paid for. If it were a gift from a loved one, I might be inclined to overlook the imperfections....but if I bought it for myself, then I would expect more. You don't mention that you inspected the watch prior to purchase, but if it is a Sinn, and they do have a 5-year warranty, then get it replaced.

Besides, if you fall out of love with the watch in the next few years and want to sell it, you will want the best specimen possible.

If Kawalaser is right (he rarely is :D), you picked out a beauty.
  12. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    This baffles me. Why spend gobs of money on a tool that doesn't work? Is it just jewelry?
  13. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the others, it sounds like you purchased a Sinn chrono. I don't own any of their watches but really like their designs. They are, as you already know, well regarded for build quality.

As far as the defects go, it's up to you what you will tolerate in your new watch. I've seen guys over on TimeZone.com return watches for defects that were only visible under a loupe, which is a bit extreme to me. What you describe sounds more obvious though.

About 5 years ago I bought an Omega Seamaster GMT, the black dial one with two tone black/silver 24hr bezel. The dealer had to order it, and it took a couple weeks to come in. When it arrived I looked it over, paid them, and wore it home. Later that day I'm admiring it and notice that the white painted 'Chronometer' script on the dial is not printed evenly. It looks almost like a rubber stamp that didn't get pressed down evenly all the way across the word. I went back and forth about making a fuss. In the end I figured it was part of the character of the watch that wasn't worth fussing over and I never mentioned it to the dealer.

I guess the moral of the story is that you have to decide if you can live with the watch the way it is or not. I have never regretted my decision on the GMT. Wearing it right now, still love it. :D
  14. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    It is: In some cases all or some of these.

An investment, some of these fine watches increase in value, most do.

A status symbol, in a LOT of cases this is key.

A work of art, many are.

Jewelry....kind of.

Some can spend 15 grand on a watch like some can spend 50 dollars. So trying to attach the question of why someone would spend 15K on a watch is like asking why someone might spend 50K on a car or 300k on a house. If they have the money to spend...wy not?
  15. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I purchased a 4K anything, I'd expect it to be top drawer.

Return it for a new (perfect) example.

Or getyour money back, and realize your dream watch simply didn't live up to the dream.
  16. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes...some reasonable points, albeit cars and houses have a clearer quality of basic need, whereas watches fall much more soundly in the area of discretionary wants.

And then there's perspective. It's gobs of money to one person...it's a drop in the bucket to another. It's unreasonably inaccurate to one person...it's perfectly within reason to another. It's unreasonably costly to maintain to one person...it's the cost of luxury (and a drop in the bucket) to another. It's just a timekeeping tool to one person...it's got intrinsic value to another.

You miss a big one...that hyperbole easily makes rational decisions sound irrational.
  17. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    If only....
    :poser:oscar:poser:oscar:photog:lol2
  18. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I mean like here...which is vastly different than anywhere else, I could have made it California like and said 200K on a car and 5mil on a house.
  19. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Because it doesn't work? That was the gist of my question.
  20. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hyperbole. It works at least twice a day.