DIY Highway Pegs for the DR

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by kaylorinhi, Oct 18, 2014.

1. kaylorinhi

kaylorinhi Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    I liked the feel of the lowered pegs So much that I decided to try something else. I also have realized that legs do not like to stay on the pegs for years at a time so I HAD to do something. HA HA, that is at least how I got the old lady to agree!

List of supplies:

1/8(.125) x 1x 4ft angle iron, $12
    2 x Suzuki OEM foot pegs(sale bin), $2
    2 x Carriage bolt with lock washer and nuts, $2
    2 x M8 x 125 x 70mm with wash and nut, $2

First Mock-Up with a couple of C-clamps and the angle iron

[​IMG]

Getting the set-up spaced out and marked

[​IMG]

more to follow

Mike
  2. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    I had a homemade set on my DR for a while. I used aluminum angle and some aluminum tread for foot pads... dropping the bike a dozen times during the black jack enduro last June didn't do them any favors.
  3. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    Angle cut to length, 19 inches. I have a 32 inseam so that should be a good starting point.

bottom hole drilled with the peg temporarily bolted on

[​IMG]

Initial mock-up

[​IMG]

Still need to do a lot of little things and a bit of welding.
  4. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    I did use steel angle instead of aluminum, I am trying to find a way to get the pegs to fold like they are designed to but I have not been able work that out in my head yet.

Maybe I can cut the "forward" and "rearward" walls to allow some movement if, when, they "touch" the ground.
  5. KS Jay

KS Jay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good so far, curious if you can get them to fold. Have you sat on the bike and tested them for proper fit?
  6. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    Just a little teaser of the highway pegs. Currently they are welded, drilled, and spaced right. I still need to paint the bar and worst of all is cut/file the bash plate holes SQUARE for the carriage bolts. The limited space between the frame rails and vertical of the bash plate makes space a premium there so carriage bolts sounds better than sticking a ratchet or wrench in there whenever I decide to take them off for more dynamic roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67YKnihA5g&list=UUaK3y5U3fMix1tVO5Sn48Aw
  7. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Doesn't ask why, only asks how

Oddometer:
    A thought about taking them off - see if you can find a suitably sized piece of square tubing. Bolt the square tubing down to the skid plate as in your picture, and cut it so it is as wide as the flat section on the bottom of the skid plate. Cut your angled piece for your pegs in half, slide the halves in the square tube, drill the tube and the angle, and use linch pins or bolts to hold the halves of angle in the square tube. Using linch pins would make them quick release.

Here was my attempt. After the carnage, that is. The DR650 is a tough bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    I wish I would have known/thought about the slide-in/linch pin design earlier. I figured that with only two bolts holding it on it would be strong enough and semi quick release. I will start working through that idea next!
  9. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    http://youtu.be/9cuHVzL-g7A

Here is a link to Part 1 of the video! Let me know what you think guys about the video and hook me up with a few likes if you feel it deserves it.
  10. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually sat on kaylor's bike with the pegs today. Nice and comfortable!
  11. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR way is a stick between frame and engine =)

[​IMG]

KTM 950 have some welded to crash bars, thumb down is cause it stranded me cause of points on fuel pump starting to give up:

[​IMG]

Looking for some solution for the 990R that Im running without crash bars and something similar to you solution might be the way I go.

/Johan
  12. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    All you need now Dirty is an Atlas size stone for a center stand and you would be set!:freaky
  13. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yw79pCG_Dw

I rode the Pegs for a month, well almost two now, problems found:

Rust(duh)
    Vibrations

AND I measured about a Half inch off so it is not quite centered but that is for version the Remix!
  14. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    I made up some foldable highway pegs that bolt to my bashplate for longer trips that I can take off easily enough and put back on when I want them.

Made up of U channel aluminium with an extra L plate riverted on each end to close them in. Holes drilled in the right spot on either side for the pegs to lock in the folded up or down position. I utilised the stock rear footpegs including the pins, circlips, springs and ball bearings to lock them into position.

Very comfy and haven't crash tested them yet, but that's not the objective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. kaylorinhi

Oddometer:
    Kezza, I like the rear peg idea, I had looked at them but had not figured out a way to do it. Thanks for the tip, rivets! I like the aluminum idea as well, it would probably just completely break the down-side off as not to really affect the path of the bike where my steel may cause the bike to flip alter course enough to hit me a second time.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've thought of ideas and then seen what hits when my bike dumps & figured bent parts would result.

There are 2 of the shelf options. Both mount bar sections are aprox 19" & then it's folding peg on either end.
    http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DR650/Universal-Highway-Pegs-DR650.aspx
    http://shop.enduroguardian.com/HWY-pegs-for-all-Adventure-bikes-HWY-1.htm

I actually went and bought these foot pegs
    http://www.rivcoproducts.com/products/product.php?productid=55&cat=221&page=1
    That back set screw allows you to adjust the peg angle.
    I was going to drill my skid plate on the front most side angle panel and bolt these on and then use the set screw to fine tune the correct peg angle. It would be a narrower setup then these other extended bars, but I figured the pegs would be tight and fold right into the skid plate when I dumped in the dirt.

Well when I got it, it was the heaviest Harley piece i've every had in my hands. Each weight a tank. I'm sure it would work but I was leery of more weight.

I'll tell ya a secret DR mod i've seen in action.
    Use a TCI skid plate. See those side black round crash guards.
    Using some longer bolts and metal back plate w/ holes in it, you can mount your passenger foot peg assemblies to it. Voila you have highway pegs. I know an ADV rider who made it Ushuaia with this setup. https://tciproductsusa.com/index.ph...id=569&zenid=e90f699f39274b44b9c4896020e202a2