Varios extended or foot pegs, which touches first?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by qman8, Feb 15, 2013.

1. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    On a 1200GS, (not A) ..anyone have an idea which will touch asphalt first, and vario bag in the extended position or your footpegs, Left or right. Probably depends somewhat on the amount of sag of the suspension, but in general should i worry the extended bags will hit before the pegs? Reason I ask is that had a low side in a slow left turn and my left bag did take the damage, and slide for a few feet, but it was not in the extended position. It almost felt as if the vario pannier hit first and lifted the rear wheel. Would it be that much worse in the extended position?? Or am I way off here?:slurp
  2. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my bike if anything touches I have crashed.
  3. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Why is that????
  4. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    If you fall you are going to hit the Vario, if it’s extended, well, it probably won’t vario anymore.
    In turns I’ll hit my foot peg, some guys drag there center stand.
  5. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Thanks...I touch my pegs down all the time...just not sure which will hit first if I extend the Varios!:eek1
    Not sure how you can hit your center stand...unluess you are pushing it down with your left foot while riding!....Personally, I use the front and rear brakes to slow down!!!!:lol3
  6. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride an hp2 and the first thing that can touch is the head. I know from experience. Richard
  7. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Foot drag, then footpeg and vario(extended) at same time

[​IMG]
  8. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's just really bad foot position. Riding with the arches of your feet on the pegs and toes sticking out like that is a recipe for getting a foot trapped between the peg and the ground and breaking your foot, or causing a serious crash.
  9. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you have crashbars, but I found out on the track that they touched before the pegs, which would be before the bags...
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Depends on the road, the corner dynamics, the load, your position, etc...
    I've touched feet, centerstand and a peg once but didn't mean to.

Around here, riding up Mt Hamilton I knock my feet off if I'm too close to the inside of the corners on the tight ones.
  11. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I have scraped both footpegs while riding with my girlfriend on the back and all 3 Vario bags extended and fully loaded. Never touched the bags.
  12. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    You've drug your Vario bag(s)?!?
  13. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Old shot of my first GS, but I never once dragged the Varios.

[​IMG]

Unless you do this...

[​IMG]

or this...

[​IMG]
  14. Chat Lunatique

Oddometer:

Nope, the pic was just to show qman a visual of pegs vs Varios when leaned over. I inferred Vario drag from the pic.
  15. Chat Lunatique

Oddometer:

No offense, we're here for each other. I'm not sure how big your foot is but for me to opereate the shift lever or rear brake on my GS, I have to be close to the arch of my boot on the peg to reach the levers ie. the ball of my foot on the brake not the big toe and sometimes get a little sloppy there and get pigeon toed tho
  16. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Pegs touch first with BMW crash bars...at least that is MY experience. What crashbars do you have?
  17. qman8

qman8 15 GSA / 16 WR250R

Oddometer:
    Awesome shot....Thanks! This is what I needed to know!
    Apparently it was not my Vario that hit first when I lowsided....it was that DAMN HIDENAU lettin loose. WARNING...DO NOT PUSH HIDENAU's on the street!!!!:eek1
  18. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Hepco & Becker. I should have specified.
  19. El Gato

El Gato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I wear a size 12 and have an extended shifter so I definitely need to move my foot out to shift, but it goes right back to the balls of the feet on the pegs as soon as shifting or braking is done.

(threadjack) This point was hammered into me when I took the Lee Parks Total Control class. Here are a few shots from the class. The first picture is from early in the day. (I was riding a V-Strom at that time) I thought I had pretty good body/foot position, but I'm about to drag my toe in that shot. Even though the balls of my feet are on the pegs, the foot position is still a little sloppy and the toe was the first thing to touch. Lee spent a fair bit of time talking to me about it.

The second shot is of me later in the day. Not only are the balls of my feet on the pegs, but they're far further inboard. This (along with far better body position) allowed me to get a knee down on my V-Strom without dragging the centerstand or peg feelers. This is quite a feat on the V-Strom as it has nowhere near the ground clearance of the GS. If you can get a knee down on a V-Strom without dragging parts, you can definitely get a knee down on a GS without dragging anything with correct foot/body position. I'm not condoning dragging knees on the street, but you can use a less exaggerated version of these techniques to great effect.

The third shot is of a GS rider from my class, who was pitching that bike around masterfully without ever dragging anything other than his knees.

My point in all of this is that dragging toes, peg feelers, centerstands or whatnot on the street is symptomatic of bad body positioning. (end threadjack)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. longtallsally

longtallsally Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer:
    Thank killboy- that was at Deal's Gap a few years ago.

The order of touch down on my regular GS was: the peg, then side stand on the left side. On the right side it was the peg, then the center stand and sometimes the brake lever. I only dragged the H&Bs a couple times on that bike, though.

The K60 is just fine for obnoxious riding. I dragged the crash bars a number of time on the GSA I have now before I did the shocks while running the K60s. But you are correct, they will slide a good bit when over really far. But isn't sliding around half the fun? :evil