Suzuki TS100/TS185 project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by brad76, Apr 21, 2013.

1. brad76

brad76 n00b

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, I bought my friends 1980ish? suzuki ts100 when the piston blew up. I spent some time trying to fix it but it has just been sitting in a few boxes in my basement for some time now.
    I recently had a desire to get it running, and found a ts185 engine on craigslist to swap into it. If it works well enough I'd like to make it into a cafe racer or street tracker!
    Here are some pictures of what I have to start with:
    http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/bradgordon63/library/Suzuki TS100_185 project?sort=9&page=1
  2. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    Both the 100 and 185 were very well regarded for time as very dirt capable and lightish .A pocket cafe racer ,or just a real stout naked .
    Luck,ed
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only nasty trick I remember with the TS-185 was that the plastic gear that drove the tacho also drove the oil pump. No tach, and the engine will follow. From memory pre-mix only isn't enough for those engines.

Otherwise the 185's were bulletproof. (for a 2-stroke)

Pete
  4. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 71' ts185 for a while and they require the injection system to stay intact because it lubes the bottom end. If you run premix you will fry the crank bearings. the injection system actually works really well and if you want to clean things up you can use a different oil tank.

the ts185 was basically a 125 frame with a larger engine so your build idea has a good chance of working out.
  5. brad76

brad76 n00b

Oddometer:
    took the cylinder off and had a look at it the other day.
    The cylinder and piston look good, but the rings and top-end gaskets are missing, which explains the lack of compression! :D
    and the original engine was going to need resleeving..