1977 Honda CR125 (I HAVE TO STOP BUYING BIKES...)

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by athomerecords25, May 9, 2012.

1. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks like I will be picking up a 1977 Honda CR125 on Friday or Saturday. I really need to stop buying these rollers. The bike is almost all there except for the Air Box and Side Panels. Has a Spark, but it not Running. Turns over and the Lower End moves freely.

I have an addiction. I could understand if these were running bikes, but gosh I have to stop buying rollers.

My goal with this one is a Marty Smith/FMF Replica (I know in 1977 Marty Smith was on the Big Bikes and not his 125cc).
  2. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
  3. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    So I was out in the backyard today after a long day at work, and I am washing (attempting to wash) the 1977 Honda 125M Elsinore and I am getting a little down. I mean I had spent 3 full hours out there washing thing and it looked like Degreaser and Soap had never touched it in its lifetime.

So I am about to give up on the wash job and save it for another day and I hear the UPS Truck pull up. He delivered a big box from Vital Mx member "newmann". I opened it up and ooooh and ahhhhed at the parts and then took them out into the backyard and started washing them along with the bike. Totally motivated me. I was stoked.

I just want to give a huge Thank You to "newmann". You were so very generous. I surely appreciate what you did. The plastics are being conditioned and will be hit with Primer and then the correct paint on Monday.

newmann's gift:
    http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/membe...977-Honda-CR125-Plastics,58988/Mixon848,25684
  4. gloud

gloud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So thats what they are supposed to look like lol.. I had a 74 cr125m back in the day and the new sidecovers where more than I paid for the bike so I made some with Aluminum sheet. Have fun with it anyway. Life is too short and you can always sell it for more than you paid if you clean and repair it.
  5. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I started spraying the tank with Tahitian Red and it just is too Orange to me. I think I am going to go with something more Red. I know that Enthusiast whom believe in keeping everything original will be against it but I really need a Richer Red then the Orangish Red Tahitian Red.

The old bikes of Marty Smith and Steve Wise don't look so Orange in those old photos. Neither does the Vintage Factory rebuild bikes.
  6. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    look into chevy engine red

[​IMG]
  7. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Will look into it today at work. That is more Red then Orange. That is what I am looking for.
  8. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    this was at Unadilla VMX last weekend. asking $1500 and he was motivated..

it is a 77.

[​IMG]
  9. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    The Chevy Engine Red "is" the color. Entire bike should be back together minus Seat by next Sunday.

I am loving this project and bike. I might sell my Marty Motes YZ465 Project to keep this bike at its peak for years to come (Marty Moates Bike Money would go into a special 1977 Honda CR125 Bank Account).
  10. gloud

gloud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy pistons and rings. Thats what I went through the most on my 74 LOL..
  11. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    I will be getting new piston and rings in July when I send the cylinder out to get ported.
  12. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    cool glad it worked out for you..when ever I have re sprayed any old hondas I have found it to be what I think is the Honda red .... and the fact it is readily avaiable is rattle cans dont hurt :lol3
  13. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes thank you very much for your help. Have to get another can to keep on hand for touch ups. Already have a few blemishes just from reinstalling the Motor.
  14. athomerecords25

athomerecords25 Banned

Oddometer:
    Taking longer then I expected but I am getting there. Honda Wing stickers need to be ordered next week. I have the FMF stickers already. There are still a few things that need to be sorted out.

Spoke with Rich Gagnon about him Porting the Cylinder and reworking the Head. He really is knowledge able and said that he could for sure get me competitive for the Post Vintage class with his work. He wanted to Port the Cylinder, Rework the Head, Port the Cases, Add Venture Flow Dividers to the Carb and a few other things. Way out of my price range at the moment.

I am going to have Eric Gorr port the Cylinder on this 1977 Honda CR125M Elsinore and maybe also my 1976 Yamaha YZ125. Might be putting the 1976 Yamaha YZ125 and the 1980 Yamaha YZ456 Marty Moates project up for sale soon though.

1977 CR125 Update Photo:
    http://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/25684/photos/59680/s1600_1977_Honda_CR125_Pic.jpg?1339865881
  15. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in high school in '77, remember seeing one of those on the showroom floor at a dealer back then. Was blown away by all the red. Awesome restoration project you have, look forward to seeing the finished bike.
  16. knevo

knevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say, I have a brand new factory Honda seat for a 77 cr125