2013 Scrapheap Adventure Ride - Back 'O' Bourke - March 29-30

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Pezz_gs, Oct 10, 2012.

1. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    the front yard that is! After being a non-starter for SAR1, then being a partial completer for SAR2 (broken at Tibooburra) and a "crashed without finishing" for SAR3, the mighty Scare Chair is being given a rest this year. BUT, some bits and pieces are being reborn as you read this...... bring forth the mighty BEEMERNATOR:eek1!!

My trusty 1984 K100 was dragged, with temporarily defunct sidecar now unattached, into the bright light of day for the first time in nearly 12 months on Saturday. It has lain dormant since Easter Monday last year when I crashed it on the way home from SAR3. Its been upside down, on and off a couple of tow trucks, lay about in my shed....we gave it a cursory wash to chase a few spiders out so I thought I'd better see if it would start.

Enter the spare truck battery and some jumper leads, hook it up, pull on the choke, only to realise that the right hand switch block (with the starter button) has been nearly ground off and is currently hanging off the handle bar, which is bent at right angles to everything else.... Oh well, grab a screwdriver and just short the remains of the switch and see what happens, right? My son Ryan was in the shed, scratching his head over his project (which I reckon will be ready for SAR 15 :lol3), poked his head out and said "you'll never start that thing today". Oh the cynicism of yoof.... one touch of the screwdriver and bugger me, it actually started!! And I mean, just ONE touch, the motor rolled over once and it STARTED! :clap

Only one thing to do, blow the KLAXON!! Rev it till the valves bounce, yep, it still blows blue smoke under duress, it'll be good for another attempt at the SAR, just take a few pints of oil with me. So, the reliability of BMWs hey, how about it.

The reconstruction has now started in earnest, it looks like I'm onto a good thing with a replacement set of forks and front wheel (the current one has an Armco shaped dent in it). We visited a local scrap hoarder and secured some quality items like handlebars and a cool chrome rear guard. The BEEMERNATOR is going to be something like this: a bit big-bore trailbike in the front, classic 80's Euro-tourer in the middle, and hybrid posty-bobber in the back. Coupled with some innovative crashbar design and a bit of tractor thrown in for good measure. I hope I can find a friendly blue-slip man!

Not sure what colour to paint it, but I do have a lot of Caterpillar yellow, so availability may well win over price!

I don't think the family is coming this year Pezz, something like "if you want to try to kill yourself on that bike again, I don't want to be there to see it......." But to be fair to the Minister for Finance and Domestic Harmony, she did trudge around in Liverpool for a few days last year whilst I reclined in the Hospital there AND we're going on a 2 week road trip to Tassie the week after SAR 4, so its' all cool. My two girls are going to be furious though when I tell them.....one of them shed some tears on the weekend when I took the chair of the bike :cry

I'll post some pics soon, register, etc and get on with the build.

Regards,

Joe & Co.
  2. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Bring it on Joe :clap

Cant wait to see what you come up with this time!

I understand the family thingo too . . . :lol3
  3. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    C'mon CK

We need pics !!!!!
  4. ckjackson1

ckjackson1 High Country Red Neck

Oddometer:
    OK, Here it is.............(Hope this smugmug thing works properly.....)

I can confidently say that i have overdone it with the polish, new Graphics and Tyre Shine......... what was I thinking??:norton

Ah well, as it is my first SAR and every rally needs a Noob to hang the proverbial on - I have my hand in the Air!! I think the mistake was far too many cold beers in the fridge of the Man Cave......

[​IMG]

Cheers, and bring on Easter and the SAR
    :freaky
  5. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Errrrr CK . . . . That's a bit . . . errrr . . . . pretty :lol3

We had better get it dirty :freaky
  6. ckjackson1

Oddometer:
    AHH Pezz, i realise that now - I am a little fistidious when it comes to events in the Man Cave.

I have an idea though, if i swap the Lambswool for Steel Wool on the old Makita Sander / Polisher she'll fit right in!!

Can you still buy that spray on Mud that the Land / Range Rover people used to use???...........
  7. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    that sounds like a good start!!

OldDog was building a Tenere up and to get the nice effect he stripped the tank, sanded it clean, then sprayed salt water on the bare metal :wink:

[​IMG]
  8. ckjackson1

Oddometer:
    Thats what mone looked like before i got carried away................................ :p

I could possibly have a crack at the late 70's Yamaha Ag bike sitting out the back and not get so carried away this time. mmmmmm another sleepless month in the Man Cave, that is sure to upset the Department of Treasury & Fun (Wife)
    :freaky:freaky
  9. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    Watch this one and share it around!! :deal
    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zor_gH1Lmw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    The Old Bull Riders team is getting serious :norton

Here is Boony's old XR500, nearly ready for the bike trip

What a great reason to get off my arse and dig in and give a hand. I do not personally know anyone who has Down syndrone nor do I know of anyone who has a sibling that has it, But hell if I can do something to try to make a difference then I`m there.I am not known as one that is shy to get in and help raise some coin.My contribution for this fundraiser and awerness ride is to get on a bike and ride it to the back of Bourke and back and get sponsorship for doing it.Sounds easy hey!!. Well I`m going on a 1984 XR500 kindly prepared for the trip by a local ledgend and a bloody good mate Damus.We are ready to take the pig in for a blue slip and then see where we go from there, all the bibs and bobs work so it shouldnt take much for a rego plate.

I have joined the OBT scrapheap challenge team as well. So if you cant do the ride , dig deep into them pockets and make a donation to our team and lets get the numbers ticking over.I will be hitting up the local riders for donations , so lets go peeps. People need the old bulls spirit !!!! DIG DEEP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    My my thats a pretty Tenere CR! All that shiney paint and alloy will get dirty pretty quick though never fear:D

Joe, I'm lovin the sound of what yer doing mate. I have a fair bit of excess components in the shed, if theres anything I can help you with to get old Frankenstein rolling just yell out!

It looks like I'm back to the XR600 again as the KTM has proved too difficult to get parts for at this late stage. It's fuure is unclear at this stage, possible a shed ornamant? Possibly i'll sell it and get comfy with my XR's. I now have enough parts to build three whole bikes so why not?

[​IMG]
  12. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill,

pity about the KTM, was looking forward to the smell of 2-stroke in the morning..... Thanks for the offer of bits, I'll have a spares donor home this weekend, so will know just what I need, but I don't think I'll need too much, apart from a posty bike rack, so if you or anyone else reading this has one, please let me know. I've managed to score a KLX650 at the right price so now have a complete traily front end with a sexy set of USD forks for the front end, won't know what to do about springs, etc until I get it fitted up, but it can't be too hard to get right, right? :evil Have bought a braided line and late model caliper with sintered sports compund pads from Gumtree so hopefully it will stop OK!

Regards,

Joe & Co.
  13. ckjackson1

Oddometer:
    Yes my Mrs did ask on several occasions what i spend all the time in the shed doing......... Polishing my Knob she suggested...........

She was so relieved when she saw the shiny Tenere!!! With the condition it is now in most would wrap it up or put on display - not me!!! shes about to get Dirty:thumb:thumb
  14. Pezz_gs

Oddometer:
    So where are the pics of the Yamaha Ag Bike???? :wink:
  15. OldDog

Oddometer:
    Howdy chaps, Well I'm done. Team OldDog has it's entry ready and I must say what a sexy machine it is too.

[​IMG]

I picked up an old Ballards 630 kitted bike on Saturday morning, the motor is blown (the old choke butterfly in the engine trick) however it's a good little donor bike for all those little bits and pieces i needed.
    Couldn't get the 600 to fire despite having more spark than an electric chair and great compression, fuel etc. Thought it was wrong ignition timing but after a coupla hours of ginning around discovered it was the f%$#ing pick up inside the engine that was stuffed:beccaAnyway, was able to rig up some fuel and get it running last night and give Pezz the customery "IT"S ALIIIIIIVE!" message.....hows yer ears Pezz?
    Spent last night nailing it together, rebuilding the forks and swing arm pivots and just finished the electrics this morning. Havn't test rode it yet, but i suspect the carb will need some jetting to suit the exhaust. Oh and picked up a really cheap Acerbis tank from ebay, and bonus it doesn't leak!

So thats it, after much stuffing about, i'm now ready to go.:clap
  16. colm

colm Hopefull

Oddometer:
    Could have saved you a lot of heartache and sold you my 96 model TT600 Yamaha that I picked up yesterday.
  17. OldDog

Oddometer:
    :roflThanks Col! Honestly though I have that much XR stuff laying about the TT would've felt like an orphan:D

So whats the story with the TT, pick it up for under a grand?
  18. colm

colm Hopefull

Oddometer:
    $999.90 on special. Had to pay a bit more to get the tyres, tanks etc.
  19. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    its off to the machinst I go this morning for a replacement steering stem...... got a donor bike for a complete front end but as it's off a slightly different style of bike, it requires a bit of minor work to make it fit. :evil The rear end of my bike is now converted back from VW to BMW so I guess thats pretty good progress. I reckon I'll be able to ride this thing next weekend which is more lead time than I've ever had!

The XR looks great Bill, still gonna share tht trailer with Pezz? :rofl
  20. Rockman

Rockman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine's ready to go except for rego.:D On the road under a grand.

[​IMG]