Northern Territory ADV rider

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Mater, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mater

Mater Love a ride, any ride

Oddometer:
    Moving to Darwin at the end of this year, is there many members up that way?
    And any decent ride's? :ear
  2. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been monitoring Farawayman's trip around Australia as has half the ADVriders in the world by the look of things. I was so privilaged to have been able meet up with him in Darwin and discuss his journey and it resulted in me also meeting another inmate.
    The Topend of the Territory is a big place and as we concluded at our ADVRider meeting last Sunday with Farawayman at the Wharf, its a long way between stops and many of the offroad tracks are unmarked and unknown to new arrivals.

I thought I'd start this thread to try and identify NT ADVRiders, pull a few peaple together to have some combined weekend rides and identify where the many off road tracks might be.

So identify yourselves guys, lets connect, and organise some challenging rides for what's left of this year and what the Dry next year can provide.

Southerners always welcome ofcourse !
  3. KLEaner

KLEaner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll be in Darwin from the 15th to 21st October with no bike if that counts... Taking the big bird up there for my younger brothers 40th so I am guessing that I will probably be in a state of inebriation that would prevent legal adventure riding anyways....mmmm.... did someone say adventure? :freaky

Regards
    Ian
  4. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    Bloody good idea Topend!

I'm a sandgroper but in less then half an hour I can be in the NT. It would be great to catch up for a ride or a beer every now and then. :thumb
  5. farawayman

farawayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good on you Mark great idea. :clap

Get hold of Adrian, he's just down the road from you. Helped me with an oil change, great guy has a range of bikes DR 350, GS, KLR etc. I will PM his email Address. He's heading off for a few weeks tomorrow so he might take a while to answer. I'm sure he will be up for a ride ocasionaly.
  6. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    G`day Dave..

Spoke to Adrian on the phone the other day.. Helped him sign in here at ADVRider so I`d say he will be joining us here in the not too distant future.. :thumb

As far as the NT gatherings are concerned, great idea TopEnd.. :clap

Just make sure you take plenty of pictures and follow that up with ride reports.. LC8TY has posted some sensational reports so looking forward to seeing some more.. :thumb
  7. Mater

Mater Love a ride, any ride

Oddometer:
    G'Day Top Ender,

I will be moving up in January with work, will be looking for fellow member adv & model specific riders.:beer :beer

Will Pm you on arrival and settled into housing.
  8. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mater, Good to hear. You'll love it up here...plenty of water, work, sun, and good times.

Mowster has a KLR 6fiddy. He resides in Darwin City.
  9. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to get over your way this September..but its just not going to happen. Its a must do for 2010 ! I look forward to catching up for a beer.
  10. Crom-o

Crom-o Red Centre Rider

Oddometer:
    G'Day All,

Great idea Topend. I'm about 170km NE of Alice Springs out off the Plenty Hwy. Love to hear from anyone down this way or planning on passing through. Or if anyone is planning a ride anywhere in the NT, have bike willing to travel, espsecially if there's bikes and a few beers at the end of a day in the saddle.:freaky
  11. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    w00t :clap we have our own thread!

Nice one Mark..........maybe it should be renamed "Crocodile Phukkers" or sumptin....

As I write, its pissing down rain here....the wet season has come VERY early???

All Aussie ADVer's coming to visit the top end should sign in here; you will always get any help you need.

I nominate LC8ty (even tho he's a sandgroper) as the Top-End Patron-Saint, as his ride reports are the shining example of how it should be done. :freaky

Daytrips anyone???
  12. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yer I've got the rain too....looks like a humid day tomorrow...lucky Silvia's not here !
  13. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    "Going Troppo" from the heat+humidity.....

I learned today that the local version is called "Mango Madness".......

and that there is a 40% rise in broken bones (and general silliness) in the months of october/november........:huh

still, taking the little dirt bike out in the mud is good fun...
  14. TopEnd

TopEnd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok ...Time to propose a ride for October....

The rain will just keep the dust down.....It wont be boggy at this early stage even though a lot of it is across Black Soil plain but here goes....

Sunday 11th October

Meet at the Free Spirit / BP Palms, whatever its called now, at 8am for caffine

Head down to Litchfield NP via the Mandoora / Dundee Rd into Litchfield

Turnoff between Wangi and Tolmer Falls onto the Surprise Falls/Daly River Rd

Onto Blithe Homestead and Sandy Crek Falls

Lunch at Surprise Falls and a swim

Onto Daly Rd Back to Adelaide River via the old Stuart Hwy possibly stopping at Robin Falls if there's water there.

Hot debrief at the 303 bar in Adelaide River

Home

Facts and figures

Round trip about 380K
    Fuel available at Berri Springs (60k from Dwn)
    Then again at Adelaide River (280 from Dwn)

I'd recommend you carry 300k of fuel if you can

Let me know what you think guys........??
    Jumungi likes this.
  15. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    Done.

I've been wanting to do the Surprise Falls rd for some time....

Lets keep this thread alive.....

(gotta go to bed now, tho.....)

:1drink
  16. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and the mrs will be back in your neck of the woods this 24-26 while we provision up for our run south before the wet starts(??). My kt is currently in storeage up there and will need some coaxing to bring her back into life after a 3 month rest!!

I won't say lets meet up, as I have been down that track both in Brisbane, while visiting on a recce trip, and also in Perth while working out there.....and guess wot?

No-one cares.:rofl

I would like to live in the territory, Darwin is nice, but the humidity of the wet would do me in!!!:1drink

I will however follow your posts as I am well familiar with your region after 2 trips thru there( I will come back one day with my DR and go for an extended wee poddle around Arnham land)....enjoy yourselves!!:clap
  17. Huskygoat

Huskygoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm coming, just gotta get the cob webs out of the Husky:D

Huskygoat
  18. LC8TY

LC8TY must......find........fuel

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get there, sounds like a good ride.

Where's the meeting place, on the Stuart somewhere? I'm sure I would have seen it before but the name/s don't ring any bells.
  19. Mowster

Mowster Stressed Member

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ the road which goes out to mandorah and dundee beach (?) pretty close to darwin, really.....

I've been wondering about a shortcut from Daly River to the Victoria Hwy.....might have to buy some more detailed maps....hmmmm

Apparently Darwin Motorcycle Club (DMCC) meets-up at Noonamah on sunday mornings....anybody know more??

*rambling finishes*
  20. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will keep an eye out for the details of this track....its our first diversion from tar as we head south.....26th September ( ooops!!)

Hope its good.....and the rain stays away another 2 weeks!!!:rofl

Have a good 1 :clap