Health Insurance Latin America Trip

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdventurePoser, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the planning stages of a Los Angeles to Ushuaia ride beginning in October of 2013, and am beginning to navigate the complexities of health insurance for the ride. Seems important to have it, as well as medical evacuation insurance as a serious accident/care/evacuation could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I am 61, in good health, and will be riding my '11 R12GSA.:clap

I'd like to hear from others, especially CA residents who've purchased travel insurance...names of companies, cost of premiums, etc, etc.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    medjetassist.com is just one of several.
    Search is your best buddy...
  3. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am checking into Medjet for emergency medical evacuation. I've been researching on HU as well for travel/medical insurance. I've gotten a couple of leads, but so far no return on emails or phone calls...

What have other US citizens motoing in SA used for medical insurance?

Cheers
  4. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    "insuremytrip" has a chart of plans
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    medexassist.com for medical (FrontierMEDEX)

medjetassist.com for air evac**

Your homework is done

**Always remember, MedJet is in-patient status to in-patient status. In other words, you have to be picked up from a "medical facility" and have a need for continued in-patient treatment at your destination of choice. They're not going to simply fly you home and let you get off the jet to go home your house. PM if you are not sure.
  6. BeachGuy

BeachGuy Lost in paradise!

Oddometer:
    My experiences.........

I've been traveling Central America now for about for about 40 years with airplanes, cars, trucks and motorcycles. I've carried Blue Cross / Blue Shield for the past 30 years.

I have needed medical attention several times and hospitalized once. General illnesses and one motorcycle accident. Blue Cross always paid their share once I got home and filed a claim with the medical paper work provided by the locals.

I have never heard of a medical facility that will not provide immediate medical treatment to stabilize you. But once that's done you had better have cash available to get admitted to a major facility if you need advanced medicine. Your new found medical insurance, which ever once you settle on is not going to have an office readily available to assume and approve your cost or if the hospital can or cannot do it for you.

South of the boarder medicine does not operate like here in the US.

The biggest problem with a need for medical assistance down south is the time it takes for assistance if you have moving accident. You'll most probably be out in the middle of now where when it happens. Minor medical needs can be taken care of with out too much trouble.

If you have any medical conditions now or take any medication, do this. Make a list of conditions and medicines taken, then write it on a small card (several of them) and put one in your helmet, pockets of jackets, tank bag and in your side cases. You just never know!

Good luck on your trip.
  7. TeeVee

TeeVee His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer:
    As BeachGuy wrote, you may get emergency care even without insurance, but you may be better off without that "care." in many places, if you do not have insurance, you will be taken to a public hospital and you are just about assured of getting crappy care.

check out allianz travel insurance. i've used them for 5 years. last year i got hit by a taxi in nicaragua and had a fairly severe ankle fracture. they covered 100%+++ of my medical expenses. they even covered wifi in the hospital and all of fiance's in-hospital meals! no bullshit. no waiting. the hospital accepted the insurance after a letter of guaranty was sent over via email!

$400 per year for the executive plan will get you $25,000 in emergency medical coverage plus a whole lot more.

also, do a little research on the better hospitals near where you will be riding. keep a list. find out if they accept the insurance you decide to buy. if you do get hurt/sick, insist on being taken to one of the places on your list if you are near. $20 to an ambulance driver (yes, that's what they are down yonder) will work wonders.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, lots of (wide coverage medical insurance-meaning to say "good" insurance plans from employers) don't even cover out of state issues except for emergencies let alone out of country.
    Maybe nowdays just tell em you got Obamacare?:D
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I learned about this organization while getting my shots before this trip from a nurse specializing in travel medicine.

http://www.iamat.org/index.cfm

Joining is free. At the least, you'll get a list of medical facilities and doctors who meet some kind of standard and have personnel who speak English. They probably discuss insurance but I haven't checked all the pages on the site.
  10. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Guys, thanks so much for the responses. I'll be investigating plans you've mentioned as well as contacting Medjet regarding emergency evac.

Cheers,
    Steve