User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #1
Teabar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Best time to ride Morocco

I'm planning a trip in 2015 to the south of the country (Atlas). When's the best time of the year to go? Pros and Cons etc. Any thoughts?
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Professor pipebender
Motty

Oddometer: 9
Hiya Teabar. We were in Morocco after xmas this year. If you can see my link pasted into ride reports you can see the pics and so on. Get Chris Scotts Morocco book. Its got everything in it. Ill be back from tour in September and am located in Teddington Middx not far from you. We prep and service our own bikes. Please contact me if you need help also Dee Gee is very helpful on this site and has my e mail address.
Professor pipebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Teabar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor pipebender View Post
Hiya Teabar. We were in Morocco after xmas this year. If you can see my link pasted into ride reports you can see the pics and so on. Get Chris Scotts Morocco book. Its got everything in it. Ill be back from tour in September and am located in Teddington Middx not far from you. We prep and service our own bikes. Please contact me if you need help also Dee Gee is very helpful on this site and has my e mail address.
Thanks Professor. I might just give you a shout - not too far away at all. Enjoying your RR.
Steve
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 310
I visited Marrakech & Ouarazazate in November one visit, more in February, April, & October. By far, October had the best weather. The High Atlas Mountains are very thick in snow over the winter, somewhat like the mountains of southern Spain. My pix at http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Travel

Temperatures on Oct. range +25 ~ 40C depending on location if not in the mountains or the Sahara
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 10:48 PM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #5
kuhjunge
3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 260
Cool2

We were in Morocco Dec-Jan. Pretty good time to go. Temp was decent in day (15-20C)- cold in the night (2C). Many hotels did not have heating and we were freezing frequently in the nights. In Atlas mountain there was already a tiny hint of snow.

For camping I recommend proper equipment (temp might go well below freezing)!

Otherwise read our RR
Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst - Vegan bikers trotting the globe
or full story and more here:
Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst: Intro
kuhjunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
Fishnbiker
Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhjunge View Post
We were in Morocco Dec-Jan. Pretty good time to go. Temp was decent in day (15-20C)- cold in the night (2C). Many hotels did not have heating and we were freezing frequently in the nights. In Atlas mountain there was already a tiny hint of snow.

For camping I recommend proper equipment (temp might go well below freezing)!

Otherwise read our RR
Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst - Vegan bikers trotting the globe
or full story and more here:
Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst: Intro

After using their hospitality system 5 times in Morocco, I wouldn't even consider carrying camping gear. The extra money savings is just going to load you down with too much gear to enjoy the ride fully. Hotels & auberges are just too cheap to avoid. Every little village will have some type of accommodation. My most expensive hotel was in Merzouga ... US$ 28 for 2, including breakfast & a swimming pool in the Sahara Desert. Secure parking & electronics charging is always available also.

As for the weather, I suggest looking now into online weather sites (weekly) for insight into timing plans. Pick 3 or 4 different cities to get an average ... maybe Chechaouen, Fez, Marrakech, Ouarzazate, M'hamid, Merzouga, etc
My Photos at: http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com

Fishnbiker screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 09:10 AM
Fishnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
cashelblue
Pirate on a Bike

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
I'm planning a trip in 2015 to the south of the country (Atlas). When's the best time of the year to go? Pros and Cons etc. Any thoughts?
Yep - Morocco is stunning. Very civilised north of the Atlas range. From Ifran it all goes south to Mazouga . Cold up on the Atlas range at night.
My visit was around April. It was also cool in Mazouga. Glad I took warm clothing. June , July, August, September - you will melt! Think 45 - 50 degrees.
Attached Images

cashelblue is offline   Reply With Quote