Anyone interested in ice racing?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Pablo83, Dec 30, 2012.

1. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I like the IRC radial. Very soft rubber. I would try it first without cutting. Watching the video, it doesn't look like glaze ice, so I think they would hook up pretty well on the white sections.
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was picturing ice rink type of ice....

I don't own a low enough motorcycle, it would make sense to be as low as possible.
  3. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im headed to the shop in a few minutes I'll see if they have any 19" tires that might do the trick. Riding a motocross bike could make this interesting. Not exactly a lowered machine.

What are you up to this weekend? If I get my legs back for my bike, I am riding both days. One day east to go practice sand and one day west to go practice ice. The invite is always extended.
  4. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    What you will see on the folks that have been doing this bare tire for awhile is siping is eveything. They cut the shit out of those tires, and they really dont care about how tall or big the knobbies are. Most of the good bare tire folks are running circle track tires siped like crazy - the rubber is maybe 1/4 tall.
    Riding the KTM 525 was fine, but the biggest problem I had was having the rear to hook at all. As for the ice, what you are seeing is the "snow" on the outside track is actually the ground ice from the studded bikes. That "snow" is sitting on some nicely polished ice under. Trust me, its slicker than snot with normal tires. I found myself horizontal in the second practice heat when I thought it had more traction than it actually did - the rear of the bike passed the front of my bike, and I ended up pointed the wrong way.:lol3
    It is a hoot, and I think Im going to give it another go this weekend, this time with some siped take-off tires one of the races gave me. It will be interesting to see how much siping really helps.
  5. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ryan
  6. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.. this could be ideal on the missus lowered XR250. Might have to get started on some old tire siping.
  7. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm taking it somehow studded class put you in a no holds bar group....So another words no happy in between group for noobs unless you just go out and hit the ice on your own.
  8. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    We were hoping for a novice bare tire class, but I was told they normally dont have enough noobs to justify a novice bare tire class. There is a studded novice class, but no novice class for bare tire. We were pushed into bare tire B which gave us no real chance of competing with the normal B class riders, but it was still fun.
  9. Bobmentum

Bobmentum RMTA

Oddometer:
    Finally got the pics from a friend:

[​IMG]
    Shooting the shit before the race as only true adventure riders can....

[​IMG]
    Lap 1 Heat Race- Pablo83 (Paul), Rob, grizCP (Bob), Raul Duke (Ryan)...

[​IMG]
    The best advice always comes from a man in a suit... especially about ice racing.

[​IMG]
    Start of the final... probably the best picture of how freaking fun this day was...

[​IMG]
    Ryan about to be lapped by #40...

[​IMG]
    Bob about to be lapped by #75 and #17... although I boxed 17 out pretty good... also check out the duds! (plug for Dubinky!)

[​IMG]
    Paul getting lapped for the second time by #40...

[​IMG]
    Chase... the most respectable ice racer!

Can't wait for this weekend. Bigger bike, siped tires... GET SOME!
  10. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    :jack
    WOW! I actually led for a small portion of one of the laps??? :1drink Look how slow Ryan is. :jack
  11. Bobmentum

Bobmentum RMTA

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you must have forgotten - you finished ahead of Rob and I for the heat race - somehow they still put Rob as 4th overall for the lane choice... As for Ryan, yeah it's a good thing it's a wide angle photo... he wouldn't have made the picture otherwise.
  12. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  13. Bobmentum

Bobmentum RMTA

Oddometer:
    More on #40 - I was talking to the number reservation guy (Thomas) and he mentioned that he runs bare tire A and Masters classes (on the #25) - he won Masters last week beating that same bike with "her husband" riding it... I am guessing that means Davey...?

Anyway, we talked a bit about siping - he uses a Kenda 270 dualsport on the rear and a trials front "made to look like shag carpet." :D
  14. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I must admit it is cool to see people I have never met wearing Dubinky stuff:lol3

Glad you guys had fun. Are you all going to do the entire series? What time did you guys get up there in the AM?

Hopfully I can make one.
  15. Bobmentum

Bobmentum RMTA

Oddometer:
    I ride a lot with Paul and Ryan (who mentioned your gear)... its nice to see a local brand that is high quality. :thumbup

Since I have invested 7 hours of tire siping, I plan to ride as many events as I can. :D I would recommend coming early at least for a first race because the practice helps a lot. Gates open at 6:00 - registration at 6:30... I don't think we practiced though until maybe 7:30-7:45ish..? I wasn't watching the clock - is that accurate Paul?
  16. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    This really looks fun. I'd like to get up for one. My truck is still MIA after it got rear ended, so I don't have a way to get the 5 hundy up there. Anyone I could hitch a ride with? Just need space for my dirt bike and myself. I'll split gas and buy some beer... :D
  17. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:

If I make it to one and the wife statys at home (I doubt she going to stand in the cold!!) you can ride with me.
  18. rtadlock

rtadlock Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Let me know when/if you plan on going up.
  19. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    And yet I still beat you. Doesn't say much about your skills.:lol3
  20. Pablo83

Oddometer:
    We're on for this Sunday! Weather should be about a nice as ice racing can be.