Tires for the F800gs .. who sells them and what do they look like!!!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
    Hope to have a report on them once you've done some muddin' and such. Though, I think I'm happy enough with Mitas to finally cease my half-decade-long quest for the perfect dualsport tire, and just ride the beast.
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    It turns out that supplies are low stateside. I'll find out more next week.

Fred
  3. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fred, I really hope you get hold of a set of E09s. Would love to hear your take on them. As said before my take on the E09 rear has been stellar. The front, not so much...

Per.
  4. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    More new tires? Well, as it is I have five sets of tires from new to half-worn, already ordering a sixth set (plus an extra rear) will make for a lot of miles, so I'm reluctant to buy E09s just now. I confess that I'm a sucker for new OEM take-offs when bargains appear in the parts flea market, which only adds to the pile.

Fred
  5. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wanting to get a set of the E-07 tires but could not pass up $40 for a set of stock tires with 1000 miles on them. Maybe I need another set of wheels?
  6. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    It makes life much easier.

Fred
  7. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would love to do this myself but pricing complete wheels with rotors get me into the several grand category. Maybe next year.

NC
  8. FredRydr

Oddometer:
    Well, so far, RawHyde seems to be a reluctant retailer. I called last week and they really wanted my contact info and phone number, and promised to get back to me after the weekend. Nothing. So I called to leave a reminder message Tuesday. No answer. So I went to their website and sent a reminder email with more particulars. No reply.

Why oh why do some people think they are "in business"? I guess I saved some money, anyway.

Fred
  9. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    I had the same legendary waste of time with these people.
  10. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Installed tkc80 on front and Shinko 705 rear today.
    First ride is tomorrow
  11. LongWays

LongWays No one's treading on you, sweetie.

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    E07s went on front and rear last weekend. Short ride found them to be a stable and neutral ride on both pavement and gravel. Nothing too aggressive and the speeds were low as I hadn't dumped the beads in yet... not really sure why I bother at all as the ride was pretty smooth to start with - but that's another thread :lol3

Will ride them a little harder this weekend.
  12. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Fred and Thirduncle,

This is Dusty from Rawhyde, we are very sorry we did not respond to you in a timely manner. Our admin assistant is on leave and with the turnover filling in we missed you guys. We also don't have tires available at the moment for the 800 but will in the next shipment. Again we sincerely apologize for not at least getting back to you with a status update. I hope the next time you choose tires and would like to try a Sava you will give us another shot. Feel free to PM me anytime. Thanks again guys.

Dusty
  13. ThirdUncle

Oddometer:
    When's the next shipment, Dusty?
  14. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    I will get the specifics and post up... :D
  15. D-Train

D-Train Dusty Wessels

Oddometer:
    Late November to early December Rawhyde should have the Mitas Dakar rated tires for the F800. Thanks again for your patience guys:clap
  16. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    never balanced my front, it stays stable until 170km/h after that it is freakishly wobbling.

Ordered a E10 front tire today, will report back :eek:)
  17. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    anyone try it??
    [​IMG]
  18. sarathmenon

sarathmenon Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a 805 on the rear. Had it too overinflated for 3k miles and felt miserable. It's now feeling better. I've posted about it in more detail here

Looking back at the post, I am due uploading some wear photos. If it's not raining outside, I probably would taken a few now. Overall, I like it. Similar to TKC on the road, much better feel in hard pack, can handle sand if you are up for it, and far cheaper. The only thing I don't like about it now is the wet handling, and sadly that's all I am getting these days.
  19. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Shinko 705s recently and thought I'd report.

First I put one on the rear, and was satisfied with it, so I changed the front to a 705 as well. I wore that rear out in 7000 miles, and have just replaced it with another which I figure will probably expire about the time the front does. These days I ride the 800 every day as a commuter, with occasional dualsporting on forest roads, so I wanted a tire that was more road biased than I've run in the past. I sometimes load the bike up with groceries or other gear, and probably did a little under 1000 miles two-up.

These tires have good life and surprisingly good grip on gravel and hardpacked dirt. Excellent, in fact. Feel on the road is neutral. At a sporting pace they drift a bit. I have been running the Heidenau Scout on the rear, and that tire 'walks' to the outside of a turn in a fairly reassuring way. The Shinko drifts similarly, but with less of a sensation of outright grip. Hard braking in the dry is fine. The one place these tires are really not great is cornering in the rain. In my first rain riding with them I made sure to try some hard braking and hard accelleration from stops, they did not slide or spin. Cornering is another situation though, ad they can be downright worrisome on even damp pavement. I live in the desert SW, so don't ride in the rain all the time, but frankly would have changed to something else for this reason except I had already purchased a second rear tire some months ago and hadn't yet had my rain riding concerns augmented by more recent repeated experiences in the wet.

Next time around I'd like to try a set of Avon's new TrailRider. Similar pattern, but from a company that has traditionally made decent wet-weather rubber. Has anyone tried these?