Cop shoots rider in back during traffic stop.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Midnightventure, May 16, 2010.

1. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I am not sure which forum this should go in but it is something everybody including cops should be aware of.
    Video of the shooting.
    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=7433661

News story about the final verdict.
    http://www.toledoblade.com/article/20100514/NEWS02/5140348/-1/rss10

On the other motorcycle forum that I spend a lot of time on the story was removed because it caused a lot of arguing between cops and citizens. I did not see one cop that said the cop was wrong.
    I wish every cop in the country and every private citizen in the country was aware of this case. The cops need to be aware there can be consequences for their rash decisions and private citizens need to be more aware not to do anything that can be misinterpreted
  2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    He needs to go away for longer than 11 years from what I know watching the video, this looks like an unprovoked shooting. Christ how much danger was he in, the rider was facing away from him the entire time! :huh
  3. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Late to the Party and wrong forum.
    :1drink

Already beat to death here.
    Kind of Ironic that it was your 205th post.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578784
  4. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    That has to be one of the most disgusting displays of "law enforcement" I have ever seen.

That cop had his weapon drawn and was ready to fire well before the rider moved. The court evidence also shows he didn't follow procedure but went straight for his weapon. He deserves life imprisonment for attempted murder.

The rider, at the very least, deserves to sue the dept into oblivion.

Typical cops - never admit they are wrong.
  5. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I'm sure somebody that knows will put it where it should be. Maybe somebody that missed it in fluff( where I spend absolutely no time) will see it and learn something.
  6. TH3 DUD3

TH3 DUD3 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow.
  7. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    That cop should have known better. That young man was never doing anything that might be considered suspicious and never tried to turn or something. So Police man....should be punished and badly.

On the other hand I can see that many police man in US are killed in this kind of situation. SO when someone stops you in the night, with sirens be careful...show your open hands at all the times, no sudden movements. This way no one is going to shoot you....hopefully ....

Back again to this cop...yes he should be pronounced guilty..he needed to be more careful. The gun that you carry gives you power and it comes with commitments that you should obey...

To bad for that young man...I feel really sorry for him....
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    The charges to me don't seem to be appropriate. If I a common citizen were to shoot someone in the back in similar circumstances, I'd expect attempted murder, and a few more. Felonious assault and a weapons charge? Seems kinda light to me. :dunno
  9. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the video it looks like the LEO did not mean to shoot. I think he drew his gun accidentally shot...freaked holstered is gun then re-drew it as he stepped into camera view.

LEO definitely screwed up.

11 years seems in line with the general public to me.

Sucks all around.
  10. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    That poor young man. :cry
  11. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    How do you "accidently" draw a weapon, cock it, point it at someone and pull the trigger??? :huh
  12. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    An unintentional discharge. Don’t be a dumb ass you know what I meant.
  13. Craiger

Craiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very disturbing to watch. A cop that fearful for his life is dangerous to the general public.
  15. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    Bullshit! Theres no such thing unless you are a complete moron messing around with a bang stick.

This man is supposed to be a trained professional. He knew exactly what he was doing. There is absolutely no excuse for his course of action. Even after he wounded and crippled the poor bloke he failed to render immediate assistance such as...oh I don't know...calling a fucking ambulance because there is a near fatal gunshot wound that needs urgent attention!
  16. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not going to agree that he knew exactly what he was doing, I am going with the idea that he did not follow his training. There is no reason his finger should have been on the trigger of the gun unless he intended to shoot (which he may have) but if he drew and had his finger on the trigger he may have unintentionally pulled it in a rush of adrenaline. This is why they train you never to put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire.

I am also not seeing any good reason that he should have had his gun drawn in the fist place, the perpetrator had stopped his bike (if he had not shut it down the office should have remained in the car and ordered him to do so), and was waiting to talk to the officer. If he wanted him off of the bike he could have easily accomplished that without having to draw a weapon.

His next immediate action should have been to ensure that the perpetrator was of no immediate danger to him (no weapons within reach) and then call an ambulance and render aid.

Maybe one of our resident law enforcement officers could weigh in here and provide an opinion.
  17. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Normally I take issue with the cop bashing threads. But not this one! BASH AWAY! Simply unbelievable. The poor kid did everything he was supposed to (after being a moron and trying to run at first). He stopped, remained calm, didn't try to flee on foot, etc. And he gets shot in the back? That is PHUCKED UP. I hope that stupid ass cop gets all of those 11 years and I hope he gets shanked in the back so he knows what it feels like. What a piece of shit.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :*sip*
  19. captainchaos

captainchaos should know better

Oddometer:
    I say give him the same treatment, a bullet. Only fair. Any private citizen who did that would be given far worse than just 11 years in the can. That's complete bullshit, and should have been dealt with more harshly. I can only think of one cop I actually like and respect, and this is a prime example of why myself and numerous others have no love for LEOs. I've never had any trouble with them while on a bike, as I don't do stupid stuff on it, but I still get concerned when they follow me.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    No they wouldn't 8- 12 years...