GSPD Knee Pad Glue

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by GSteve, Jul 15, 2012.

1. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for the collective, what glue is recommended to secure the knee pads to to a GSPD tank? One side on my '95 is beginning to give up on it's struggle to stay mated to the tank.
  2. Jay.T

Jay.T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few years back when I painted my tank, I pulled the pads off and reattached with heavy duty double sided tape. I ran the strips longer than the pad,stuck it on, trimmed to fit, and slapped them on. They have not moved or started to peel off after washes, rain, or hot weather.
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    I've heard 3M weatherstrip adhesive works well.
  4. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    It works well enough, but I suggest practicing on something that doesn't matter,
    I've seen instances where the only place the glue would stick is where I didn't want it too.
    Not fun at all..
  5. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Make sure what ever weather strip adhesive you use you put it on both surfaces and let it get tacky before you install them. If you use spray adhesive put the knee pad on the tank, trace it with a pencil and spray some into a small container and brush it on the tank staying inside your pencil lines.
  6. smorgasgeorge

smorgasgeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was actually wondering this same thing yesterday.
    So I'm assuming contact cement is NOT the way to go based on the responses so far?
    It sure was a PITA to scrape off before repainting.
    Thanks for the posts
  7. Grayghost66

Grayghost66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Clean surfaces well and then use 3M VHB (Very High Bond) double sided tape. I'm in the signage industry and this is very good stuff. Cut a few thin strips, position around the perimeter of the kneepad and a strip down the centre, line it up carefully, and rub the kneepad down firmly with the heel of your hand.
  8. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and insights...time to go shoppin'. :wink:
  9. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Funny this question should be asked. I am about to repaint my GSPD tank and was wondering how to remove them. The other question I have is what is the best way to remove the instrument clusters for repainting the upper body pieces? It looks like a nightmare to remove it. Any suggestions? thanks
  10. smorgasgeorge

smorgasgeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The instrument cluster question might deserve its own thread (I'll be curious to hear about this too--in my limited experience, it's certainly a PITA).

To remove the pads, I just applied a bit of heat and peeled with a lot of elbow grease.
    The previous owner had used contact cement.
    YMMV.
  11. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just stuck my PD's rubber back on with bathroom silicone sealer. Worked a treat.
  12. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Rob, keep us informed how that holds up.
    That's very cool, I would have never thought of using that. It is waterproof............
  13. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's bathroom silicone sealer. Has the advantage of pulling down as it dries. Holds most of my bike together :D

It's also brilliant for holding the rubber boots in place in the RS fairings.

Here's the blurb for it :-

"Silicone. Ideal for sealing joints between tiles & baths, basins, shower trays, kitchen worktops & sinks. Use on surfaces such as plastics, acrylics, glass, metal and ceramics. Forms a flexible and waterproof seal. Mould resistant and durable"