Painting the Beast

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Doktor O., Dec 31, 2012.

1. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the paint on my 990 tanks has seen better days and I had planned on painting them. I wanted to get some feedback from those who have successfully painted their tanks first though. What specific paints did you use? Prep work? Ect.

Thank you for you help in advance! :freaky
  2. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    This ain't no KTM, but....

I grew tired of a mystery dent that my tank bag hid from me and one day I pulled the bike apart to take care of it.

Unless you have done it before, the end result might not be what you were hoping for... but... couple things.

De-wax the tank with appropriate de-wax or prep from an automotive paint store. Do this BEFORE and after you SAND or GRIND.

After the prep work is done, de-wax before it's primed or sealed. Wet sand out scratches, or re prime and wet sand till they are gone. Hint; anything you can "feel" as far as imperfections, will most certainly also be "SEEN".

Consider just having it done by a chum in a body shop, or find a guy on your local Craigs that can do it right, you might have to stare at that tank for awhile, would be nice if the end result came out of a PAINT GUN and not a spray can, had some clear on it, and you would be proud of the project.

Real automotive quality paint is around $28-$40 bucks a pint, plus the clear and specific sealer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Denalidirt

Denalidirt High Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure if that will work on the adventure tanks
  4. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should. The stock tanks are sealed.
  5. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the replies. I had not planned on sanding my tanks completely to the plastic. I was just going to get the decals off and all and get it good and uniform and go through the proper prepping steps. I'll be honest I use it rather hard so I was going to do the bottom front of the tanks that catches rocks in a hearty coat of rubberized coating and then do the rear of them in a satin black. On top I was just planning on a sand tan color in krylon rattle cans and I think if I get the prep work right it'll turn out wonderful. I used to work at a body shot and pulled dents on cages but I didn't know if I would have to do anything different. Of course I'll clear it but I want a flat finish so I was thinking that two coats on the properly sprayed ultra flat tan camo paint would give me a simi effect. If not on well haha!

I'll probably do a write up on it and if it turns out well ill post what I did :D

You see I'm a college student and this bike is really the only thing of value I own so I'm going to do it on a budget and see what happens :D
  6. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive painted my 950 adv twice. There is no problem with the paint sticking with proper prep. I highly advise not to spray it with a rattle can.Remember gas will get on the surface.
    I would recommend using an automotive catalyzed paint. I like basecoat/clear coat systems. My choice is PPG but thats just a brand. Talk with your local automotive paint supplier for a system that works well in your environment and that will stand up not abuse and gasoline.
    Prep is everything in a paint job.You will find that if you want to do a great job you will also need a filler primer and sealer and a lot of elbow grease. heres my latest.
    [​IMG]
  7. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Proceed with caution...I smell the hint of an inherent contradiction in the above statement.
    Might be just me. :hmmmmm
  8. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    Well I'm a broke @$$ college student and I'm going to rattle can it. I also work full time at an autoparts store so that will help with the cost if supplies.
  9. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    Well like I said I work at an autoparts store and have a great selection because we mix paints. The only problem with that is I don't want to buy a paint gun. I may wait or I may paint it. If I don't wait it will be with a krylon spray paint and lots of prep. Thank you for the advice definitely a good looking job on the 950. How long did the first job last?
  10. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Until the first 50 mph endo. Borrow a spray gun.Or wait
  11. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    Screw that paint crap, vinyl wrap it. Cheap, way easier and if it doesn't turn out, you pull it up and re-lay it.

You tube it...it's super simple. Only tools needed, hot hair dryer or heat gun and a good knife.

I'm considering wrapping mine rather than painting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  12. SauceSquatch

SauceSquatch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What color is your bike now? I've heard the white plastic rejects paint, I have a white bike and wanted to eventually paint. I'm excited for you but don't hastily jump into this without doing proper research. I painted my KLR and was really happy with a rattle can rustolium pro. But that was metal, plastic swells and contracts with weather and temp changes. If you find the right paint let us know.

Excited to see how it turns out.

:lurk
  13. SauceSquatch

Oddometer:
    Beergut, I haven't seen vendors selling vinyl wrap for a 990, where do you buy it?

Are you just getting the wrap and cutting it yourself or are you talking about a wrap decal kit?

links?
  14. beergut

beergut Thumper

Oddometer:
    I'm not really talking about a 'kit' per-sa but vinyl is pretty easy to come by.

http://www.metrorestyling.com is a great resource...a few people on other forums have used them with great success.

This guy, I found on this site has awesome graphics for the adventure: http://crispydesigns.co.uk/

Make sure the surface is clean, lay the vinyl, pull it, use a little heat, cut it, have fun it with it. Its pretty hard to screw up and if you do, you pull it up and lay a new sheet. I believe you could do an entire bike for less than $100.

When you scratch it, you just simple either cut it out and put new vinyl down or put a piece over it.
  15. Doktor O.

Oddometer:
    Yeah I have also strongly considered going that way as well... decisions decisions :deal
  16. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike is a blue "S"

And the paint is peeling off pretty bad, not sure why.

So, today I emailed Crispy in UK.

How many of you have used the vinyl wrap?? Is it easy to install?? Will it last?? More Info????
  17. bikepharmer

bikepharmer Baja is on the way

Oddometer:
    I am going to try it with my upper fairing. I have a couple of chips and was wondering what to do about them. Has anyone done the wrapping? Can you stop halfway along a surface, or does it need to go to a "seam"?
  18. ShoelessJoe

ShoelessJoe DefromisSedSupendium

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ducati black rattle can from colorrite. Took a long time with all the prep, drying time and having to redo one fairing that turned out like crap. Not a perfect paint job, but pretty good overall. The crispy decals take care of the rest.

I highly recommend the decals from Crispy designs. Christian is a great guy to work with.
  19. SauceSquatch

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap

very nice!
  20. skipman

skipman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ awesome job....looks great^^^^:clap