User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2002, 06:30 AM   #1
Steverino OP
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Never ending super duper which chain lube merged threadfest

What kind of lube you using? (On the chain sickos )
I am using a wax based and am not happy with how loud the drive line noise is. Don't want anything really gunky though. Any advice?

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:54 AM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,076
Moose Chain Scrubber (you gotta love the name)

PJ1 Blue rocks. I tried the wax recommended in MCN - sucked and also used PJ1 Black - really sucks - way to much thrown off.

I now use a chain cleaner which also doubles as an application guide for chain lube. You put it on (minus the brushes inside), hook up a can of chain lube, spin the wheel and push the spray button on the can. It has two holes in side on top in just the right place and puts the lube where it needs to be with no splatter in one pass. I have had very minimal throw off with the blue, just changed the oil, and when I pulled the sprocket cover it was almost clean after 800 miles and there was nothing on the rim.

I bought mine at Morton's, but found it here as well

PS - The cleaner that comes with it is incredible, but where gloves and don't let the tree huggers see you. It has Diethylene glycol monobutyl ether and soduim trypolyphosphate - kick as shit. I normally use kerosene, but this shit blew that away - don't know about residue.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:21 AM   #3
daotoys1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Chain lubes???

What is the best/CLEANEST chain lube out there???

For street use???

For off road use???

And how often are you guys lubing???
daotoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #4
daotoys1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
Chain lubes???

For street use???

For off road use???

daotoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #5
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by daotoys1

For street use???

For off road use???

Bel-Ray Super Clean. Stick well, lasts long, dries fast. I'm not easilly impressed by chain-lubes (most of them suck), but this one is the cat's pijama's

I lube after every washing, and usually every couple-a-rides depending on how clean the chain is.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:28 AM   #6
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
lube job

I have used Chain Wax in the past with fairly good results. After application to a warm chain it dries and leaves a non sticky surface that won't pick up dirt. However, I've resorted to using gear oil on my KLR. It gets dirty but who cares and its cheap.

Now a bigger question, with a good O-ring chain why put anything on it at all? The grease is inside on the pins where it needs to be. I don't see any wear issues with a chain rollers meshing and unmeshing on sprockets. I'd like to know how many out there use no chain lube at all (you BMW guys need not reply) Also what has been your chain life and sprocket life with the lube. I'm betting no lube doesn't significantly reduce the life of chains and sprockets.
racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Oh no, the dreaded chain lube thread....

How about WD-40, or maybe Windex -- no, how about Lemon Pledge furniture polish??!!

Seriously, after running O-Ring chains for over 20 years, one of the best/cleanest lubes that I have found is Honda HP Red (the can is red). It goes on in a liquid state, and doesn't gum up like some heavier lubes. Give it a try.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,036
WD-40 after every ride or every 200 miles on long trips. Dirt or street.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,278
I use WD40 to clean the chain, after the chain is dry of WD40 then I apply whatever chain lube I have available, usually the blue stuff is good for road application, dry off-road you probably want teflon based lube, muddy condition, I just clean the chain after every ride.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
hk_rider
Urban Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020
I use WD40 to clean the chain, after the chain is dry of WD40 then I apply whatever chain lube I have available, usually the blue stuff is good for road application, dry off-road you probably want teflon based lube, muddy condition, I just clean the chain after every ride.
i'm with this guy...wash bike...clean chain w/wd40...go for a ride and warm up the chain, lube with PJ-1 Blue...allow it to dry properly before riding again and fling-off should be minimal.

i ride mostly on the street. frequency for me is about every 4-600 miles.
hk_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #11
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Threads merged (most of them anyway). Folks, please don't post the same question in multiple forums. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 09:01 AM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
For o-ring chains, I go with a cleaning with WD40 and then a dribble of 90W gear oil. Wipe off excess. On a street bike, do it every 2K or so. On a dirt bike, before every ride. With this regimen, I seldom have to adjust a chain, let alone replace one.

I've never met a aerosol chain lube yet that doesn't make a god-awful mess.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:32 AM   #13
Ergo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Laugh Drive units...

Great post! I had no idea they offered "clean" chain lubes.

I'm always adding some lube on the inside of my o-ring chains. Metal to metal isn't good. Dirt makes it worse. It's a sickness.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #14
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
Bel-Ray Super Clean. Stick well, lasts long, dries fast. I'm not easilly impressed by chain-lubes (most of them suck), but this one is the cat's pijama's

I lube after every washing, and usually every couple-a-rides depending on how clean the chain is.
absolutely agree
and if that is not available Ive recently aquired a taste for PBR

cheers
chain
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:21 PM   #15
Katoum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Bel-Ray keeps the rear wheel pretty clean, but wait till you remove the countershaft sprocket guard and see that grease accumulation, its like someone packed the front sprocket with a grease gun, but that's just MHO. I have had better luck with the Maxima chain wax as it also sticks well, evaporates quickly, and does not build up nearly the much on the countershaft area. It also migrates to side plates better without having to spray directly on the side, thus I feel offers better corrosion resistance than the Bel-Ray. I find that spraying the O rings and side plates with Bel-Ray results also in coating the swing arm, floor, and just about everthing else in the vicinty. I guess that's why there are so many brands out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny

Katoum is offline   Reply With Quote