Baja March 2013 Trip Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DaFoole, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:

:huh

Holy shite! You doin' okay?

Well, let me answer my own question....your talking to us and going to Baja.... :lol3

:thumb

:freaky

You and/or Magilla gonna make WARPED??
  2. anycoloryoulike

anycoloryoulike ¡Me Vale Verga!

Oddometer:
    good luck on your trip! dont forget to visit mulege, punta abreojos santa rosaliita they are just great places to visit, nice little towns where everyone is kind with you and usually find some great food, nice place to camp as well

im planning to do tijuana-cabo on late january, im doing almost all on-road and just off the pavement when going to cool places to stay the night and visit. Just started riding 6 months ago, already had my 1st fall with bloody injuries so i guess i can now call myself a motorist LOL

dont forget to take lots of pics!! i wanna buy a gopro camera for the trip.... also seriously thinking of making a single wheel trailer to pull instead of carrying load onto my small 125cc
  3. tallpaul63

tallpaul63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    North of where I used to be, with rivers & beer
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847903

I rode San Felipe, Puertocitos, Alfonsinas, Coco's Corner, on to Highway 1 without too much stress over sand; so you may be fine doing this. This was December 2012, and very doable for a new to dirt rider on a big loaded bike...with caution. I think it was a gorgeous route. Clearly, conditions can change seasonally or after a big storm, so get the recent intel.

Good luck!
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I didn't see the AAA Baja map recommended. For the type of riding you described, it will cover just about everything you have in mind including many of the easy (and occasionally not so easy) dirt roads.

If you don't do the Sea of Cortez side on your way down, do it on the way back. Gonzaga Bay may be my favorite place. I'd stay the night there and watch the sunrise. It will be easier to find on your way down. Ride east from Tecate down the grade to Mexicali and then south to San Felipe. Mexicali is a bit on the hectic side but the route is well signed. Head south from San Felipe and the road is now paved almost (maybe the whole way by now???) the whole way to Gonzaga. There is some soft sand but 2wd cars make it all the time if the washes are graded. South from there to Coco's Corner (a must stop in Baja) and then out to the highway by Laguna Chapala. South of Coco's is rocky but at a relaxed pace should be no problem. Definitely ride the dry lakebed at Laguna Chapala for a little power sliding.
  5. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gonzaga had the best shrimp and the road is paved to about 9 miles from it. The AAA map was worthless IMO, National geographic has a better one, one for north and one for south.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  6. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Have both....good to know. Also have the (out of print) Baja Almanac....which is probably pretty outdated by now. Just gonna roll with the punches...play out all our hunches.....try to make the best of whatever comes our way..... :rofl
  7. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    The baja almanac is still available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  8. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading down middle of Jan for ten days, 2-up with my wife on my GS. I have ridden many times on my GS, HP2, XR 650, KTN 525 and KTM 690. If you do not have experience in deep sand, get some so it doesn't bite you, otherwise you can get a fully loaded GS on any of the two-track routes to all the good spots - San Francisquito is still one of the few untouched spots, a beautiful ride from the south end of BOLA, about 80 miles. Broke my shoulder last winter, so I had to cancel my annual trip, so I don't know if Juan and maria are still running the place or if it is still standing. Check in for me and if Howard is around, buy him a beer. for me. 5 star accommodations :evil I have always been able to get gas at SF, it is about 80 miles to Gurrreo Negro from FS to the Pemex in town gas or 110 to Vizciano. One the return, if you are taking Hwy 1, you can go around the Sur/ Norte check point 9 it is hit or miss, but sometimes they will nail you fro an FMT. I have a Mexican green card, bu tI still go around the check. After the second Pemex in town heading westerly, you will see a canal, take the dirt road on the east side, it is the airport road, and it will dog leg n/e out to Hwy 1 north of the check. I have a mostly paved itinerary if you are looking fo ra easy loop from Tecate to Loreto, just PM me you email addy. My wife adn i have done Copper Canyon a few times solo, including Batopilas - never had any problems, but I have been traveling south for 45 years. Be smart and always look over your shoulder before you pull out to pass - see Crashmaster's No Fumar..... it is easy to forget on lonely stretches of Hwy 1. I ran a car off the road once in my truck because I didn't look to see if I was being passed too - cured me and now Vinny has the cure.

Have a great trip and if you go to San Fran, stop at San Rafel, a beautiful beach about 20? miles N. from San Fran and say howdy to Poncho. He always has tequilla and fruit for me, maybe because he digs my spanish speaking blonde wife and I always make my fellow riders throw in tequila $. On the way out of San Fran there is an Eco lodge visible from the road, I think it is still a working ranch too and they have bailed me out more than once. A good place to stop, have a beer and pay your respects.
  9. anycoloryoulike

Oddometer:
    very helpful, thank you!
  10. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    The new Baja Almanac is far superior to the old out of print one. Larger pages, more detail, updated info.
  11. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:

Last I checked it said "not available"...

Will check again.....

BTW, just checked. Still "not available". Any links to where one gets the new one?

And thanks all for the GREAT info!! :clap
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but once again it is out of print. Worst thing about the Baja Almanac is that they do a print run and then nothing for several years. Amazon has one for $450:eek1
  13. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Man, I had 2 and gave one to an older couple traveling Baja without one last trip. If I still had 2 i'd lend it to you. Heck they were available in San Felipe at a few places.
  14. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    No worries... I scored an older one that'll do fine
  15. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    You are going through Coco's right?

We lost our camera coming home, which had our only pic of our signatures from when I proposed to Mala Bunny. If anyone could get a good pic I'd really appreciate it, I was planning on having it framed. February 13th was the date.
  16. rnrdozer

rnrdozer RNRDozer Supporter

Oddometer:

Muddy rabbit, we will be going through there around the 23rd of January, let me know if you still need a picture of it. I would be happy to take one for you guys!
  17. anycoloryoulike

Oddometer:
    wazzuo dafool did u saw my good luck post? anyways if u need anything i live in Ensenada, u have a place to stay and the people of Yamaha are good friends so they can help if anything goes wrong with your bike... and that goes to all of you ADV riders, Ensenada is your home, give me a shout if anyone of you wanna stop by and eat some good mariscos (sea food)
  18. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Much appreciated! :thumb

Don't really have much of an itinerary but as it gets closer I'll shoot you a pm if we're heading that way.

:freaky
  19. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    It's on the list. If don't get the pic you need before we leave (around March 5th) let me know and I'll try to bag it for you. :D
  20. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    Bouncing this as it's getting closer....:evil

Have gotten lots of great info from inmates/RR's.

Have been placing lots of notes in the Baja Almanac...:cromag

Thanks to all. :thumb

Keep it comin!