Buying a good 1150 GS, The guy has a parts bike, what xtra parts should I ask for ?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by WilliamSven, Jan 19, 2013.

1. WilliamSven

WilliamSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He has a good running 2002 1150 GS and a parts 1150 GS that was a hurricane flood bike.

the running bike is pretty clean, they changed the beak out, it was broken.

The parts bike was a hurricane flood bike. The motor turns over. wiring is corroded as hell.

I was thinking of asking him for a few things.

these bikes are hard to find in Texas.
  2. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could always use a right sided cylinder head (not the cover, the actual head).

Other than that, engine parts, electronics (if not shot), body parts, wheels.
  3. WilliamSven

WilliamSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw the right heads sell on ebay, ( one sold for $300 n change + ship ) is that because they get less than the left head on kickstand warm up idle ? these are not like the OLD old Old bmws that you CANT idle on the kickstand, are they?
    what would you offer on the right head? I can ask him to throw it in as part of the bigger deal.
    how many hours is it for me to pull the head ya figure? im a mechanic. www.samobilemechanic.com
  4. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    What vintsge?
  5. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, friend offered to adjust my valves and overtorqued the cylinder head cover screw (two of them, actually). One broke and cannot extract. I think it would be simpler just to replace the head instead of getting it fixed by a shop (if any shop will redo a screw hole (lol)).
  6. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    All of them :rofl
  7. WilliamSven

WilliamSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hhmm.. perhaps it is better just to hold em. walk away. The one hes selling does have high miles. but its the cheapest one ive found locally.
    mayhap ill just pimp my trans alps suspension out.. it is one of the most reliable bikes ever made, if not the most reliable bike ever made.
  8. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many miles on the bike? How many miles on the parts bike?
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Get it cheap enough and you can sell of parts and make a good return and lower the actual purchase price of the first bike.
  10. WilliamSven

WilliamSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    90K on the bike for sale. I think ill end up getting it for $3700 if I actually get it.

20? k on the flood bike with the corroded wiring harness and ecm.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'd fer sure want the final drive. If the for sale bike still has the original crown gear set, then the FD prolly doesn't have alot of life left.

Swingarm with driveshaft too. Same reason.

Shocks? Did the salt water wreck 'em?

And wheels. If the wheels are OK they are worth money. Maybe $600 if not corroded by the salt water.
  12. WilliamSven

WilliamSven Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wheels, actually its come to me I should keep them so when we have our support trailer in big bend / Utah / etc.. I can bring a second wheel set with knobbies and ride there, then swap wheels for the off roady fun.

Put about 1800 miles on the 90k GS1150 so far. zero oil loss ( the seller said its normal to check the oil and they use it sometimes .. ice noticed 0 loss. )

its SMOOTH . .

im thinking about the Jesse Luggage now. in matching black of course.
  13. bone13

bone13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the final drive

It may or may not be any good having been flooded, but I would get the TPS. Actually it might be a good idea to get both the throttle bodies too. With 90k on the running bike unless the throttle bodies have been rebuilt, they'll likely need it or will very soon.

The ABS unit isn't bad thing to have around either as If the ABS servo fails, it's about $2300 (for the part) to replace.
    On the 2001.5 - 2005 units when ABS unit fails you have next to no brakes at all, vs the pre 2001.5 which you just have no ABS if the ABS unit fails.