Honda Reflex and Reflex Sport

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cabanza, Jan 4, 2013.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I'm really looking into this little scoot at the minute and could use some feedback from current and previous owners.
    What are the main differences between the Reflex and the Reflex Sport? I'm guessing it's just cosmetic...
    Pros...
    Cons...
    Maintenance, issues...
    What's the fastest color?
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Honda has a new Reflex (called Forza in Europe and Japan) and it's a 300cc! Why can't we get one of those over here?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JwClwqDGSTw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  4. wannabe1

wannabe1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only differences I am aware of is the sport has 2 seat hump/butt stoppers, one for driver one for pillion, the almost non existent windscreen and no rear rack.
  5. lcseds

lcseds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't rule out the Forza in the US. That is a 2014 model on the Canadian site and Honda has not announced 2014 models. Heck the 2013 motorcycles are not out yet. I think someone around here said Honda was not done with product announcements and perhaps there may be some new rides announced in Feb.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    +1!

Sounds good to me! Keep 'em coming! I sure hope this little scooter makes it stateside.
  7. ramblerdrver

ramblerdrver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2006 model 2 years ago and have since put on 12,000 trouble free miles. Great scooter. Will do over 70 mph and haven't gotten less then 70 mpg on it (going by odometer/speedometer). 250cc is all you need, at least if you're not much more then 180 pounds. But 300 cc would be ideal I think. Only shortcoming I've found is that the ride seems a bit harder then I'd like.
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Same as before Big name motorcycle companies run a comity . There focus groups and market research don't jive with what we want.. Ever drank juice out of those milk jug like containers with the plastic bottle top you can twisted off ? Even those went through market research. Even Movies go through testing to find the right end. Dumb stuff but that's what they do.
  9. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Yep, under the skin, they're all the same. Fastest color? That would be Candy Glory Red (kind of a dark cherry red metallic). Mine has been trouble free since I got it (I'm third owner). Do the yearly maintenance, each Winter, and you should be all set for another season of riding. Pretty simple.
  10. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The standard model has a rear wing and the Sport model has a chrome grab rail also with back rest for the pillion and they are
    interchangeable between the sport model and standard model as well. The rear wing works a whole lot better if you decide to
    add a top box (or milk crate if that is all you can get) to your Reflex. In fact just about all of the parts are interchangeable except
    when it comes to different model years. 2004 through 2007 have a higher output electrical generating system with a larger stator
    along with a larger case cover for it along with a different voltage regulator/rectifier. I can not say with certainty whether or not
    that the wiring harness connector is the same in that area. My guess is that it would be. It could probably be discerned by
    looking at the wiring schematic. (Gee, I have 3 and soon maybe 4 Reflex scooters, but never have needed to be concerned about
    that and so I have not checked into it.)

The other difference would be between ABS and non-ABS Reflexes. The wiring harness IS different with wiring and connectors
    for the ABS sensors and braking modulator and the ABS warning light located up with the tachometer whereas the non-ABS
    does not have the extra wiring and the different ABS brake plumbing.

Any other differences are mostly cosmetic ie; sport with chrome grab rail, standard with rear "wing" On the sport, an open
    chrome handlebar and mirrors, the standard has a plastic handlebar cover and black mirrors. The sport has a chrome side stand
    and the standard has a plain black side stand. Sport model has a short windscreen with a tall windscreen on the standard
    model. For both models, the wheel color is either silver or a very dark gray, almost black. The inner box, floor step/tank tunnel,
    underside cover and lower front cover were a dark gray for some models, but most are just black. I have also noticed a slight
    difference in seat cover texture. Most with a smooth pebble texture and some with a sort of "ostrich skin" texture (for lack of a
    better term)

Common issues: Some folks will end up ruining the 17mm oil drain plug by tightening too tight and stripping it by using other
    than a 6 point wrench or socket.

Rust in the tank along with the fuel filter getting plugged up with rust sometimes will eventually happen when condensation
    occurs from a less than full tank, usually during long term storage.

Overfilling the oil will soak the air cleaner when it gets sucked up from crankcase venting. The bike should be set on a level
    surface and on the center stand when filling with oil. The dipstick is just inserted till it stops, but not screwed in when checking
    oil level. And actually best if oil is filled to just less than completely full to help prevent air cleaner from getting oil soaked and
    reducing performance.

The rubber tube between the carb and intake manifold can leak extra air into the system making it lean and rough running or not
    at all if is old, dry and cracked.

The 2004 through 2007 models have a better more capable charging system. Charging system for "01", "02" and "03" models is
    adequate for the bike, but problems WILL arise if overloaded with accessories more than the system can keep up with. The
    usual eventual failure there is stator burnout.$$$$ :(:

Mostly, these issues are preventable with diligent care and attention. Having a proper service manual makes it so much easier to
    keep and maintain your Reflex and well worth the investment.
  11. Small's

Small's Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up this sport for my wife and now i ride it. I couldnt find a top box mount for it so i made my own and put on a bestem 929. It actually works well. The passenger can still use the factory lower back pad and if she wants to lean back just a bit she can lean on the back pad on the top box plus the lower one. Its very easy to make the drivers seat back pad brackets to raise the backrest on either bike if wanted. It is plently capable for me and the wife to ride on. My wife put on the foam pads incase she fell over.[​IMG]
  12. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    With 2013 honda bring back 300 cc scooter Honda NSS 300 Forza which is much like the reflex
  13. Unclerock

Unclerock UncleRock

Oddometer:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4886698454161&set=pb.1498669402.-2207520000.1359423350&type=[​IMG]
    Cold weather ya got to let it warm up while ya put your gear on, otherwise you'll get a little hick up in your take off.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8669402.-2207520000.1359423350&type=3&theater

That said i ride it alot if it is above 20 degrees as always ya got to watch to make sure the cagers got traction not to slide into ya!

Also changing fuel filter was a bit of a pain so I did a relocate

http://youtu.be/iAHTKiKVUM4