User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Review of World's Finest Ear Plugs

This is a preliminary review--don't want to get into a debate about other types of ear protection.

So, I purchase a couple of pairs of the World's Finest Ear Plugs (their name, not mine). Kinda pricey for ear plugs, but I continue to search for some ear protection that doesn't hurt after awhile. Howard Leight Max Lite's had been my plug of choice before this: hard for me to insert properly, if I get them in they provide great sound reduction, but they start to irritate and sometimes hurt after a few hours. All the plugs that have to be inserted into the ear canal bother me after awhile, unless they are so loose they don't really block the sound.

So far I find the World's Finest Ear Plugs (WFEP) very comfortable. They mold almost like blue modeling clay, smoosh into the outer ear easily, and have fairly good sound blocking but not as good as the Max Lites. Have only used them for an hour or so at a time so far, but they remain comfortable. I haven't quite figured out how to consistently get them to block all the sound. This morning I smooshed them into the outer ear, all seemed good, but I was getting more noise than I wanted so I stopped after about 15 minutes, took off my helmet, and repressed them in, and the sound deadening was much better. Not sure why the problem.

After my few initial runs I would say they are the most comfortable and easiest to use of the smoosh-into-the-outer ear type of plug. The WFEP are better than Mack's moldable silicone type of plugs, which I find pop out of my ears too easily--often mid-ride. WFEP are stickier. It remains to be seen how long I will go before I dispose of the pair and try another pair--at the price I would like to make them last a bit. The materials are all natural--bees wax and cotton mostly--so I don't think disposal is as bad for the environment as the foamy types.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 671
I bought those off this forum-i'm happy enough. Use them and the Howard's. Both good.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

By the way, I suspect the mods will want to move this over to the thread in the vendor forum, but I think we need some more "review" and less talk about ordering and how fast shipping was, etc. Also, maybe it's me, but I feel funny in a vendor forum mentioning other brands or products by other companies, which I did here.

I'm also curious about these Ohropax plugs that get rave reviews on Amazon, and can be ordered with Free Super Saver Shipping if you get up above $25.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
I bought some of those, but find they are not as convenient as the cheaper foam disposables, and in my ears at least, they got pretty nasty after a few uses. I found some Hearos at Wally World, and they are much softer than the Pura Fit 6800's I had been wearing. These are also much quieter, so much so that I am not sure if they are too quiet. I'm going to wear them for awhile and see how they do long term. Your point about the variations in ear canal shapes is spot on I think; I would add that there is also a wide variation in pressure sensitivity and pain thresholds, as well as earwax production, and I think both of these factors also have a big impact on the success of using any particular model. Finding the Hearos so quiet and so comfortable, as well as so cheap and accessible was a lucky thing for me, but your ears may be different.
ssevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Wuwei OP
Beastly Adventurer

Maybe it is psychological, but I have a tough time inserting things into my ear canal--always have. For example, I never use Q-tips--too painful. I think that is my problem with the foamy type plugs. I found that the Howard Leight Max Lites are bearable, because they are so soft and I can usually (eventually) get them in and then they expand slowly. Still, I find the sensation unpleasant and they eventually itch like crazy and/or hurt. I find myself stopping sometimes early just to take the plugs out and get a break from them. Tried some of the silicone rubber types, but they don't seem to seal very well, though they are less unpleasant than the foamy type.

Did a higher speed run today with the WFEPs inserted and part of the trick is pushing and molding them in long enough for your ear to heat them up. That creates a better seal. Still not as quiet the Max Lites, but not bad at all. After temperatures on my bike thermometer close to 100 the WFEPs were almost glued to my ears--took a bit of effort to pull them out.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
AndyGilbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I spend 50+ hours a week with Howard Leight Laser Lite's in my ears. I do get the itchy/achy ear syndrome but again it's 10 hours a day, 5 days a week minimum. Sound deadening is very good. I wear them when I go riding and they do great.
AndyGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote