Death Valley n00bs beer brew meet

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by Shunka, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    I offered to brew up some beer for the DV meet up in March. Given the number of participant and the amount of beer needed it quickly became apparent to me that my kitchen and equipment was going to be vastly inadequate.

I found this place www.brewbakers1.com and suggested a meetup for anyone interested in brewing some beer.

I started this thread so we can brainstorm and coordinate everything and not clog up the meet up thread.

I will edit this post with those "IN" as they commit. Hopefully those interested can commit some $ to this as well as this isn't going to be cheap. Their website list $250 for 6 cases. If this takes off and we can guarantee them a certain amount maybe we can negotiate the price down a bit.

[Just to clarify]
    I got some "legal council" (I asked for it) about the wording of the money for beer. Just to clarify what I mean by "contribute" is how ever many peeps show up we split the costs of the brew day equally. Meaning I am not paying for everyone to go and "get free beer" everyone should know this going in. There are legal issues about selling alcohol without a license and I don't want anyone to think I'm breaking any laws here.

Chime in with any suggestions!
  2. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    IN. I will have comments later. I will be happy to help any way that I can.
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.... this could be really good!
  4. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what's needed or when it's gonna be but I'd definitely wanna join in at any capacity I can contribute :thumb:1drink
  5. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    mike that's a good idea, especially the proceeds will go to a non-profit group whose objective is trail maintenance and to keep them open to motorized vehicles.
  6. slugdad

slugdad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal

what he said, i'll probby just get in the way but i was married once so i know how to take orders
    and if money is an issue, bob has lots yuk yuk yuk

in
  7. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:

That was BEFORE I got divorced. I learn't my lesson. "Yes ma'am is now the first response. :lol3 to the Mrs.
  8. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    OK, so who wants to volunteer as the Mrs so we can get some funds out of Bob? :lol3

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Do we have a date for this shindig yet? :scratch
  10. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    i can throw some $ at this.
  11. roundtripping

Oddometer:
    Is it tax deductible? If so, let's hustle before the new year :evil:lol3
  12. Shunka

Oddometer:
    No date yet. I'm heading to the desert tomorrow and plan to start working on putting everything together when I get back. I just wanted to get the idea out there and get the thread started.
  13. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's interest!:clap
  14. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    We did a similar thing for a bike ride we do and it was a blast.

Plan on eating there as they have great pizza and bread. (from the left over wheat and yeast)

Get someone talented to make the labels then the bottles become collectors items.

Have a scientist type (like my wife) mix the ingredients with the helper so the beer comes out all right, they will let you make some pretty crappy beer if you don't watch out. Ours was really good and had a kick. I can find out what it was.

It is a two part process, brewing and then bottling a few weeks later.

If I'm around I'd like to do it again.

JIMMY
  15. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    My work schedule is iffy for the next couple months, but can throw some $ at this at minimum! Let me know.
  16. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Shunka, I am sacraficing my liver in an attempt to help. :photog I have six 22oz empties for you. I have determined that while I like arogant bastard, double bastard is not to my liking. The smoked porter however is like goodness all the way through. :freaky. I'll keep sacraficing until we do the bottling. :slurp
  17. Shunka

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Bottles always come in handy. If you like the Smoked Porter add it to the marinade for the meat next time you make chili. Pour the rest into the pot to simmer. :dg

I'm going to call the brew place this week. Super busy today with school back in session.

Stay Tuned!
  18. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    Watching the game on Saturday, I plowed through two of the 22oz bottles. Got up to P an WHOA, light headed. Had to look at the labels. Damn 7.7% and 8.7%, no wonder I was :freaky

Another couple and I woulda done a BigTodd .

:lol3
  19. Shunka

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't posted about this in a while. I wanted to give everyone an update. The place in HB that I was thinking about using I just don't think is up to par with what I am willing to risk. I'm going to look into a few other places but if we do this it could wind up being in my kitchen a batch at a time. (cheaper that way too)

Let me know what you all think. I'm gonna check on one more place though before committing to doing this at home though.

I'm just not willing to risk the quality of our beer. I'm going to do it right or not at all.
  20. Sasquatch2112

Oddometer:
    I don't drink SKUNK BEER! Did that in college. Quality is Key for me.

I am unavailable one weekend in Feb, family in town. I will post up when I know which weekend they will be here.