NIB 2003 KTM 640 Adventure Purchase. Did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sprocket3, Jun 3, 2014.

1. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    *******UPDATE: Now I'm considering selling this while it's still so clean! PM me if interested.*********

So about 2 weeks ago I decided I should get a Dual Sport, and after reading a few nights I got real interested in the KTM 640. It seems like a good fit for me as I'm looking for mostly off road expedition style riding. I was going to research and think about it for six months so that I could get a great deal in December, but that didn't happen.

I found this 2 hours away:

2003 KTM Adventure 640 with 2 (TWO) Miles on it. It's basically new and the guy had purchased about $1000 worth of typical cool extras that he never installed.

The bad news is I paid a slight premium for the NEW condition and it's NOT running. I bet it hasn't started in at least 5 years or more.

So I'd love to get some advice if there are some KTM shade tree wrenches on here. Is there a site/page with general maintenance tips on these?

I'm worried that it's going to be plagued with engine/transmission problems from sitting so long! I'll drain the old fuel and can change the oil out easily. I was thinking about pulling the spark and a buddy suggested WD40 in the cylinder. Any ideas would be helpful. I've got a service manual.

It also needs a fresh battery. Is there a good lightweight battery, or just go stock?

I hope I didn't mess up on this one.

I'm located in Oregon and totally new to KTM stuff.

***UPLOADED PICS June 26th. Bike now has a few hundred on the clock.***

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Check the Sticky at the top of the Thumpers page. Lots of info there that goes back a long way.

Here's the LC4 index:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

You didn't mess up on your purchase. I believe that is one of the best back country exploring bikes ever built. The only thing that ever bothered me on mine was the CV carb. I changed it out for a flat slide after rebuilding the CV twice.

As long as there was no moisture in the crank, you shouldn't have too many issues. I wouldn't sweat a small oil leak. Just take care of it in the winter.

If you're looking to take weight off of the bike, start with a Lithium battery and find an aftermarket muffler.
  3. Somewhere Far Beyond

Somewhere Far Beyond The Narrator

Oddometer:
    That bad boy should be nice. I saw it on craigs and almost couldn't believe it. I would definitely change oil (I do that when I buy another bike as a rule anyways) and drain out any gas. I'd probably pull the carb for cleaning as well.

Plenty of info here as dirtydeeds said.

Excellent find. One of the best dual sports in the world IMO.
  4. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks. I'll check out the sticky. I'm worried the carb will need a rebuild from fuel sitting so long in it.
  5. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. We had to discuss price a lot if you recalled his asking price. He had some issues letting it go after never using it and buying a bunch of extras. I some some issues buying a non operational bike.

I noticed a little oil near the clutch reservoir and it didn't seem to full disengage when I rolled the bike around.
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wecome,
    Find/demand the tools and all the manuals.
    The owners manual lists a 10K service and maybe a break in service for a valve reset after 500 miles or so. I'd check the valve and tighten all the nuts and bolts after you ride it.

I'd start it with the old oil and at least warm it up to drain it, I doubt it's bad.
    Pull the dip stick and smell it, if it smells like gas dump it.

The fuel is another issue, anyhing in the tank has to go, there is a drain screw, phillips on the carb bowl, you could open it to drain any mung and then get some fresh gas in the bowl from the tank with fresh gas and drain it again. That phillips screw will be tight, dont mess it up.

I have the '02 model so I'm not the expert on the hydraulic clutch since mine has a cable. I feel for all you guys with the hydraulic unit cause it can cause problems. Lead acid batterys work fine and are cheaper and the size is common at any battery store.

Lube the chain and check the tension PER THE OWNERS MANUAL...LOOSE.

Pump up the tires, check the lights, get it running, go for a ride!!

Might vibrate a little(haha) until it breaks in 20K miles from now.

No need for buyer's remorse, we all envy you.

bill
  7. Gillus

Gillus High Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Might be a good idea to remove the tank, make sure it is drained good first then drain it again. Then add a quart or so of fresh gas and shake it like a martini, shaken, not stirred, then drain and repeat till it looks good. Sometimes old gas will leave a whitish residue on everything. Maybe an extra inline filter for a while might be a good idea also.

Congrats, have fun with it and be safe.
  8. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. It looks pretty simple to get the gas out of the tank and all cleaned up. Good info on the carb drain, i'll do that. I do have the full manuals but he insisted it didn't come with any tools at all. Or he lost them years ago. Where it shows a tool kit in the manual I noticed some type of emissions canister.

I'll pour through the owners manual and do the maintenance per the manual. I got overwhelmed with the KTM sticky thread last night.

No reason to get oil into the cylinder? My buddy thought it would be all dried out inside and suggested getting some oil down there via the spark plug hole. I hate to do a bunch of extra work, if all it needs is new gas, battery, and oil. I don't want to mess up the ring seating though on something that's never been ridden.

I'm not sure how to break in a 12 year old engine?
  9. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    No, you didn't mess up with this bike. As Gillus and bmwktmbill mentioned, do the basics and go for an extended city ride to workout any issues. Once the bike is dialed in, take it off road. I own a 2006 and love it :thumb
  10. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You didn't mess up, you hit the jackpot. It's going to take some fiddling up front but when you get that baby to sing it will be all worth it! :deal
  11. MTK

MTK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike, I would have been after it if I had saw it!
    Most likely you will need at carb rebuild. Not that difficult.
  12. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal.

I just wonder about the mindset of somebody who can spend a lot of money on a bike and not even ride it for 11 years!

There is lots of info on these bikes on advrider.com. This is the best source of info in the world.

And there are people on here who have found (and fixed) every weakness (not many) these bikes have. Some of the service threads have far more detail than the service manual.

Good luck on your purchase. I love my 2005.
  13. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike, you have a rare gem right there!

Being a nikasil bore it's unlikely to be rusty, but it'd be easy enough to give it a shot of lube if you have the tank off. Gives you a chance to check for spark too, in fact I'd be inclined to renew the plug as I've had funky sparking issues out of plugs that have sat for a long time on other motors.

I ran mine in from new gently as per the book & that motor lived a long & happy life. After it was fully rebuilt I used a more aggressive break in procedure making sure to load it up, 35K+ km on that piston now & still going really well... so I'd say break it in however you want & don't stress about it.:D

Cheers
    Clint
  14. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the positive remarks. It seemed like too sweet of a deal to pass up once I got interesting in the KTM 640. Sort of went against my better judgment the way it all went down though.

Someone mentioned a slide card, rather than messing with the this one if it's screwed up. Is that a straight forward swap?
  15. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good score,your aircleaner is more than likely rooted,after many years they fall apart,....worth replacing it,ride and enjoy.
  16. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 miles? And he bought farkels that were never installed.... Whatever, must have been someone with plenty of $$$ and liked the idea of adventure riding. His lose is your gain I suppose.

Personally I'd throw in a fresh lead-acid battery, fresh gas, check the oil and see if she starts and runs.

do that other stuff after a short (if possible) ride.
  17. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Lots of good advice given, particularly with regards to the fuel. I would D&A the Mikuni and de-gunk it. At the very least I'll bet the pilot jet is plugged. As to the battery, any lead acid or AGM of the correct size will work. I have had a Shorai Lithium/Iron battery in mine for two years now. It weighs nothing and cranks the 640 like a mofo... YMMV
  18. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, If farkels are things like:

Custom Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    GPS Mount bar
    Various Racks
    OEM Switch to turn off the headlights
    Headlight Guard

Maybe something else I'm forgetting in there.

He had a big Dual Sport (BMW I think) and wanted something lighter when he purchased this. Sounds like he had a buddy that was into the dual sport thing, but then he moved out of state and got married. New wife and no dual sport pal led to the bike just sitting in the garage with all the farkels in a couple boxes.

I'm guessing he went to start it one day and it didn't start so he just let it sit another 5 years. I tried to focus more on what I thought was a fair price, rather than why it just sat for 11 years. I've got a few toys in the garage that I've never played with. I'm sure we have all done it at some level:(
  19. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Don't forget a seat. The OE brick will ruin yer bum... :freaky
  20. sprocket3

sprocket3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got new gas into the system and some oil down the spark plug hole tonight.

She fired up after some protesting and is running rough. I'm going to put some seafoam into the gas and hope I can avoid a carb rebuild.

Getting closer. I still need a battery.