Anyone go from a K1200LT to a GS/GSA?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Gerry47, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Gerry47

Gerry47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone has gone from the LT to a GS/GSA and any comments or observations you might have.

I've had a 07 GSA for the last five years and love it. I want to start taking my partner touring and she would prefer a bit more luxury to the GSA. Will I regret it if I make the change? My only experience of a heavy tourer is two Goldwings in the past a 1200 and a 1500. I liked them but didn't miss the weight when I went to a K100RS, remember those? I don't miss being scared on wet roads either.

I have the opportunity to buy a 99 LT with only 12k miles since new but finding it hard to make up my mind.

I have asked the question on an LT forum about going from a GS to an LT but would like to hear from anyone who came from the LT or has both bikes.

Thank you for helping me make up my mind.
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a GSA and borrow a LT for a day. The LT was surprisingly easy to ride at slow speeds. It was nice to flat foot a bike for a change. Power was fine, but I kept trying to shift into 6th. Took the wife out on it and her comment surprised me. She called it boring. Very comfortable, but she said she didn't have to do anything on the back. Hardly had to hold on or pay attention. She said the GSA was more interesting because she had to pay attention to what was going on.

So I guess I don't have to worry about swapping out the GSA. Unless the GTL turns out to be more fun...
  3. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I did. I enjoyed my LT and (like the 99 you are looking at) it was before the big HP increase. Very comfortable and handled quite well for a walrus. Passenger comfort was great with the expensive fold-down arms. Stereo was nice. If ya want a super comfortable touring rig for not much money in the used market, I'd say go for it.

But I couldn't get rid of a big trailie. Just too much fun all-around.
  4. Gerry47

Gerry47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your comments and would be grateful for any other opinions. I put a lot of thought into buying my GSA and while it took me some time to get used to the bike I have had five happy years. I think I'll put some more thought and research in before I make a decision I might regret....
  5. Bramstedt

Bramstedt Displaced

Oddometer:
    There is a lot to love about the LT. Smooth. Handles well for its size. The motors are burst proof, or, at least darn near. Easy to do lots of miles on the slab without fuss. The wind protection is awesome, which is great in rain or cool weather. On a hot day, this becomes an issue. Heat stroked pretty bad in Texas on a trip. I found myself having dreams about riding (wallowing) through sand and gravel. More like nightmares. Great bike, but very one dimensional. Now have a GS. More wind, more vibes, less storage, less comfortable. Totally different machine. After 400 miles at 70+ I sometimes miss the big LT. I really liked big sweeping corners. When chasing a friend on his Bandit through the tight mountains or blowing down a dirt road, not so much. I suppose you know all about GS platforms. If I was larger/stronger and did more two up, I might go back. Having both, if an option, would be awesome. Darn. Now you have planted a thought. Luckily the money gun is pretty unloaded right now!
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    They are all a compromise. I had my LT at the same time as my GS Adv for a while. Planned a GS trip but due to an "unfortunate signaling event" I had to take the LT. Chased the nephews all over Arky-saw including Push Mountain Road. They could stay in front of me, but I wasn't all that far behind.

Of course, my brakes were glowing red.....but hey. Whatcha gonna do?

The big LT is a pretty amazing bike on any corner marked 35 or above but really comes into its own on marked 45's and 50's. 20's? Parking lots? Not so much. lol
  7. HD Steve

HD Steve Nonposer in Training Supporter

Oddometer:
    My pillion prefers the GSA to the LT, but I believe she likes the RT better. The LT tends to seperate the driver and pillion and gets some air between you also. The LT is an amazing machine. I'm afraid to test ride the GT or GTL for fear one would show up in my garage. The LT comes into it's own around 5000 rpms. Having trouble in the corners? Kick it down 2 or 3 gears and it will roar!
  8. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Dang. I am beginning to miss mine. lol
  9. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    My wife actually used the fact that I sold my LT to buy a GSA as a cause of action in our divorce proceedings. Really. Her position was that the LT was "couples" bike and the GSA was for me. She was correct. New girl will appreciate the GSA more even if I need a pre-nup.
  10. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Did you throw away the GS pillion seat? That mighta been a tactical error. ;)
  11. Gerry47

Gerry47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I'm more confused than ever!!

What you have all said confirms the fact that I won't sell my GSA because I know I would miss it too much......but I'm going to try, beg, steal or borrow to get the LT as well, the best of both worlds....as my friend always says "If it's not in the plan it can't happen".The GSA for me, I did take off the pillion seat, and the LT for weekends away and longer trips....
  12. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Our work here is done. ;)
  13. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will throw my 2 cents worth into this. I have a standard GS and a LT. 99% of the miles on the LT are two up and 99% of the miles on the GS are solo. The LT is definately a better two up touring bike with regards to pillion comfort. One thing you have to watch out for on the LT is the low ground clearance, rough pavement that you would normally sail thru on your GS may scrape on the LT. The brick motor on the LT has been around for quite a while and is rock solid, it really wakes up over 4K. The LT is surprisingly nimble for 850 puonds of motorcycle. The wind protection on the LT is great but it can get a little stuffy on hot humid days. Good luck on your decision.
  14. Herkmech

Herkmech You ain't wrong

Oddometer:
    I had a 2002 LT for several years and enjoyed it for what it was. Great interstate bike and no slouch in the twisties. Outstanding creature comfort and convenience. Horrible slow speed handling especially 2 up. Takes a bit to get used to and even then a drop is not out of the question.
    As my S.O. never rode with me and I was always looking at the dirt/gravel roads and wondering where they went.I decided to trade for a GSA Adventure. I have had it for 13 months and 10000mi and don't miss the LT at all. I have so much more fun on the GSA compared to the LT. That being said if I was riding 2 up I would have stayed with the LT. Best of luck with your choice.
  15. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I had a 2000 LT and out of all the bikes I've owned, it's the only one I wouldn't have again. While it handled curves rather decently, it was underpowered, top heavy, and a monster at slow speeds.

A goldwing 1800 is a better bike, imho. In fact, not even close.
  16. jeepdude65

jeepdude65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW...I owned a 2005 LT that came with more hp, a powered center stand, and updated dash. It was my first BMW and my wife loved the ride. But it was heavy and underpowered compared to most other bikes like the Concours, FJR, ST1300, GW, etc.
    We sold it and after a couple of years, I purchased a GSA. My wife doesn't like the seat but doesn't mind the top aluminum box. She loves the looks of the GSA, and is accepting the fact that either she learns to enjoy the ride or she's staying home! :evil
    I still think the LT is a great bike, but I don't miss it and I know we will have more fun and use on the GSA than we did on the LT.
  17. jclark83

jclark83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 2005 model year got a bump in Horsepower, Powered center stand and slightly different steering geometry to improve low speed handling.
  18. mpillis

mpillis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very fortunate to own both. 05 LT and 04 GSA. Two totally different "Big Pigs" I am 5'6. The LT has carried wife and I from Kentucky to Montana, Canada, Florida and many other places. Two up, long distance, the LT is a great bike except for driver seat. For a bike this size it handles great in the twisties and keeping the rpm's in the upper range is a blast. Maintenance: I do all my own maintenance and repairs on both bikes. The LT is a bitch because of all the tupperware you have to remove to get to anything.
    The GSA is my solo traveling/camping bike. Wife is spoiled by the LT so doesn't ride the GSA. Anyway, I have done some fireroads and gravel roads but I consider the bike to be more of a "sport touring" bike (for me). Great long distance, carry alot of camping gear, a blast in the twisties.
    After riding the LT for awhile then get on the GS it feels buzzier. The other way around the LT inline-4 feels like a hi performance engine in the upper rpm's.
    Bottom line: If I didn't have a wonderful lady to travel with me, I would only have one bike and it would be the 04 1150GSA. Probably add a DR650 to the stable.
  19. Gerry47

Gerry47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you again for all of your advice and experience (I am always so impressed with the generosity of everyone on this forum and while I don't post too often myself it's my daily read). I had a chat with my partner and the plan is to have both....might take a while but she's prepared to wait a bit and as I said at the start I love my GSA.
  20. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeh Gerry I too have an 2001 LT and have had it from new.i am lucky enough to have been able to purchase a 30 year anniversary GSA this year and have to say I love them both for their intended and designed use.I will say for two up long Tarmac rides the LT has it over the GSA for sure.The reason I longed for the GSA was over the years on long rides there was many times I wanted to see what was down that dirt road or have a look at the lookout that was out of reach of the LT...The answer may be can your finances include having the two bikes ? .....anyway that's my five cents worth.