West Virginia: Hatfield-McCoy Trails - Tracks & Free Garmin Maps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by craftycoder, Feb 24, 2010.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I am putting together tracks for these trails. I am uploading them to gpsxchange.com. As I create them I will post them here. I am basing them off DOT ERSI shape files and updating them to reflect the maps on the trailsheaven.com website.

Garmin maps are available for free here.
  2. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=350127B0-A734-4EC3-9A6D-35063A1B3772" TITLE="Hatfield-McCoy Buffalo Mountain" width="640" height="480"></IFRAME>
    Map PDF
  3. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    I have some active track logs for some of the HM trails, at least one for every park if I can find them. Dunno if that will help with your build, but you are welcome to them. PM if you think they can be of use, it may take a few days to gather them up.
  4. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=C773B841-E436-46AE-82C8-082B1C34B2CD" TITLE="Hatfield-McCoy Little Coal River" width="640" height="480"></IFRAME>
    Map PDF
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=BE659068-019C-4FC6-B86B-7D504EF7E2D0" TITLE="Hatfield-McCoy Bear Wallow " width="640" height="480"></IFRAME>
    Map PDF
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Great work Crafty!!! :clap
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=7BE4F83F-519A-4D14-91A5-DC10E971C5ED" TITLE="Hatfield-McCoy Rock House" width="640" height="480"></IFRAME>
    Map PDF
  8. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME SRC="http://www.dualsportmaps.com/embedMap.html?id=356CF37A-D392-473D-AC70-AF2A41ADC438" TITLE="Hatfield-McCoy Pinnacle Creek" width="640" height="480"></IFRAME>
    Map PDF
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Download Garmin compatible maps for free here.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Is there an advantage to using the maps over the tracks?
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Well, for one these maps are routable so that may be an advantage. I color coded all these roads for difficulty on the map so it will be very clear where you should and should not turn. I color coded the tracks as well but I don't know if those colors always display on GPS units.

Also, on some Garmin units like the Zumo, tracks cannot be displayed on the map like the 276c or 60c units.
  12. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:

How do you route them, they don't show up in the route tab?
  13. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Use MapSource or your GPS unit.

Does this photo makes sense?
    [​IMG]
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Route as seen on the Zumo.
    [​IMG]
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    There is no route showing up under the route tab.
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    First you need to install the custom map. Then you create any route you want using the route tool. The map itself is routable, so you can make you own routes like you would using the City Navigator map for example.

It's a bit of a leap in coolness factor so it may be difficult grok at first. Just trust me. Install the map. Select it in MapSource and pull out the routing tool and start clicking on trails and you'll understand whats happening immediately.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I see what your saying now, I thought that the maps were already routes.
  18. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Yes, there's a considerable advantage. I switched from Tracks to making my own maps from tracks when I exceeded the 20 track limit in my 60Cx. It was also a pain to juggle around the 20 tracks I needed whenever I took off on a multi-day DualSport Adventure ride. With maps, I have approx 1000 tracks in a single mapset that's loaded alongwith City Navigator, US Roads & Recreation and Topo and it can be turned ON/OFF just like the Garmin maps. Load it once and forget it (until new tracks are accquired and a map update is made).

A secondary benefit is that you use the original tracklog (with up to 10,000 points) in the map but the tracks need to be filtered to 500 points so you have much higher detail available.

I initially got interested in this when I found the Zumo couldn't display multiple tracks and my riding buddy had just bought one and wasn't too happy.

See this Zumo Forum thread
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, did you make it back home yet?
  20. BobM

BobM DualSport

Oddometer:
    Yes, we're home - left Tucson early due to my back/leg problem so I could get medical assistance back in Ontario.

I checked out your maps and they work very well - you've done a good job, especially the routing function. I haven't found out how to do that yet with my custom maps.

I've ridden those trails and I would point out that a GPS isn't really necessary at H-M. The maps you get when you buy your Trail Pass are excellent and usually need to be marked up by the Ranger to show which trails are Open/Closed that day. Every trail intersection is signposted by difficulty, Trail #, etc so it's really hard to get lost, but you have to remember it's a trail ride - there is no destination. Leave your GPS at home and just enjoy the ride :D