Simple master cylinder resevoir question -- 2 holes, are both ports?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by crixlet, Aug 12, 2012.

1. crixlet

crixlet Norski

Oddometer:
    it's a '86 BMW r65. Have been having issues with the front brake lever being stiff. If I bleed the brakes it gets better. When I first opend the resevoir it was all gunked up with some type of buildup.

See attached image. I'm wondering if both of the holes should be open -- i've cleaned out one as much as I could but it doesn't seem like there is supposed to be an opening for the port. Sorry for lack of language? Hope the image helps illuminate the question? Wondering if this is why my brakes are so stiff.

[​IMG]
  2. crixlet

crixlet Norski

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Is it a super micro hole? I can't seem to see where the opening is for the hole. Appreciate the help.
  3. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    I don't think I've ever seen a round tank master on a monolever before.
  4. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    The hole should be .013-.015" Find a wire drill and run it through.
  5. Andiflip

Andiflip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The little hole is called the compensating port and needs to be there to relieve the pressure in the system.. The large port is the fill port which opens up behind the piston. When the piston retracts the fluid behind the piston goes past the piston cup and fills the area ahead of the piston.. you have no hydraulic pressure applied until the piston covers the compensating port, then your brakes start to apply.. :freaky
  6. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So don't make it any bigger than it is, just clean it and make sure that it is clean. If fluid can't pass through it it can cause your brakes to apply all on their own.