Overland Expo 17-19 May Flagstaff, AZ

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by feldjäger, Apr 16, 2013.

1. vegasbaby

vegasbaby n00b

Oddometer:
    stay in Edmonton Alberta, play in Las Vegas
    I am planning to take 93 to Kingman, then 40 to Flagstaff. All asphalt. I am staying in Flagstaff with my wife. I will tour route 66 on my way back after running upto the Grand Canyon after the Expo.
  2. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    Route sounds interesting, thanks for sharing! I don't think Tiffany Coates will make it, she's bummed. But what a line-up!

How do you get to meet people, see cool stuff, and get time to ride? Can it all fit in?
  3. 65SlashTwo

65SlashTwo Da Pigu Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up Thursday pm from Tucson. Gonna stay with my wife in Flag as well.
    Google says about 45 mins to Expo from there. Trailering the GS so she has transport during the weekend.
    Looking forward to RawHyde class and what I get to see of the expo!
    I'll have to take notes from this thread as to who will be where and we can make intros.
  4. Dpac

Dpac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of the return Home south, I was wondering if any of you have taken the 300 rim road from 87 and Baker Butte cutoff, east to Woods Canyon Lake @ the 260? And then crossing 260 and continuing east on 300 to Pinetop-Lakeside through the Res? If so, how long would you estimate that takng in saddle time hours?
  5. redeye-az

redeye-az Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the place will be loaded with so many cool people, just people, that your jaw & right arm will cramp from so many "pump n howdy's". pictures.....
    .c ya there.......
  6. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    Dpac
    300 at 87 to Woods cyn is about 1 hr with a couple brief stops ( some great view points on the rim). And the section before Heber to Show Low is on NF land and about 1:30+
    Both sections are very nice and very big adv bike workable. These times are moving right along. Gas available at Clints Well or Forest Lakes. Enjoy.
    Allen
  7. Lucky Explorer

Lucky Explorer Traveled the world

Oddometer:
    Sorry/ extra
  8. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to head south on 93 and then west on 96/89/89A. At Sedona I'm going to go dirt to Mormon Lake.

I'm looking forward to the ride. I just can't decide if I want to switch to K60's for the dirt or leave the Battlewings on for the paved twisties.
  9. Dpac

Dpac Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lucky! Can't wait!
  10. nylon2000

nylon2000 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey all - I'll be there. I'm riding there (from NYC!) - I already left, and am making my way down the appelations now, then across as much of the TAT as I can before slabbing the final bit.

My +1 is smarter than I, so she's flying in.

I'll have a beat up looking (by that time) BMW Sertao, with an ADV sticker on it.

We're camping in the moto section.

Hope to see you there.

NY-Lon (Philip)
  11. Rallyroo

Rallyroo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an American, you get extra bonus points for riding from NY. The international folks who "drive" or "ride" in from New Zealand, Australia, UK, Spain, etc are obviously in a category of their own.

Even I'm flying in from Los Angeles. Was going to drive my Land Cruiser, but going to meet up with some friends flying into Phoenix and splitting the cost of a rental car. Sadly the taxes on the economy car rental costs more than the rental for the car itself! I'm paying the equivalent of a 110% tax on the rental car! WTF! I pretty sure the big portion is the airport tax on the rental.
  12. nylon2000

nylon2000 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Clearly i decided to ride it BEFORE i realized it's close to 3,000 miles!
  13. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    Plans 1 & 2 are out for me. Anyone know of a good place to stay near Flag?

:hide

:lol3
  14. Rallyroo

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  15. Rallyroo

Oddometer:
    If you want to stay in a hotel haunted by ghosts, you can try the Hotel Monte Vista in Downtown Flagstaff. Get some pics of the ghosts for us while you're there.
  16. Averse2work

Averse2work über n00b

Oddometer:
  17. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am in, and will be one of the speakers on travel in South America 1:00 PM on the 19th. Looking forward to meeting other ADVs. I am staying at the Motel6 in Flagstaff. White F800 GS with Ruta 40 sticker. Dave
  18. a41capt

a41capt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy did you come to the right place, that's my backyard!

Schnebly Hill Road is more than passable on an adventure bike, and Forest Road 240 from there to Mormon Lake is bladed gravel. The ride up from Sedona is about a half hour as well as another 15 to 20 minutes over 240.

Anybody traveling that way is required to stop in at the Pinewood Fire Station (right on the 240 road in Munds Park) to say Hi to me and the other ADV rider boys on duty. We've got 8 of us there that'll be attending the expo on one or more of the days (we're on duty some of the time), and we'd be happy to point out some nice rides in the area. Additionally, the Forest Service has shut down a few roads in the area, but I have free maps of the Coconino National Forest in my office that I'll be happy to hand out to anyone stopping (until they run out anyway!).

So, stop by for a cup of coffee and some bike talk. You can't miss the station, and we love company.

I know it's okay to do it... I'm the Chief!!!!

:rofl

John

19. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    Will plan on it! Should roll in that Friday early afternoon on the way to the expo. Been looking for some maps but have not been able to locate any for that area, so really appreciate anything you have to point out some good rides.

Will be traveling with another Super Tenere so should be easy to spot...
  20. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully I'll be your third Super Tenere of the day then on Friday. I'll be through later in the afternoon!

Steve