New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    simple question (I think).

What is the valve check interval?

I checked the lc4/690 index but nothing jumped out at me.
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tell you what 690 says.
    Section 9 in my 2013 690 owners manual says 10,000 KM's. it used to be 7,500 KM's. I gonner get mine done at 5,000KM's.

A link to 2011 au model here, check valve clearance page 52 7,500KM's

http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_ktmproduct/techdocs/11_3211653_en_OM.pdf
  3. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did not check the valves on my 2009 690r until 6,000 miles-about 10,000Km and they were all tight and just barely in spec.
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm concerned about doing an inspection on Cam Rollers and Cam Roller Bearings rather then the valves
  5. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    I have just installed a Safari tank on my 2010 690 and am having trouble fitting my Renazco seat back on the bike with the tank on. The Olympic way to install the seat is to put it on with he tank unbolted and then bolt the tank down. I have the tank installed as high as possible and still be able to bolt it up, so what am I doing wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks
  6. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure the Rally Raid guard had been sitting around for a year before the Sigutech group buy... check! :lol3

Rattle canned the guard and finally got around to it on this dreary southern winter day.

Before:

[​IMG]

During:

[​IMG]

Done:

[​IMG]
  7. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I have a Corbin seat and a Safari tank. The seat fits very tight under the tank. The front mounts on the frame & seat need to be removed. The previous owner also left off the tank bracket up front. No need for it.
  8. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Thanks d2d. I will remove the bracket for the seat.
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    6K miles. Every time my intakes were tight, When I got about 18K miles on the bike they were always out of spec tight. The 690's definitely a bike you don't want to go past the interval without checking. It's simple to do and cheap to shim when needed.
  10. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I learned why the rollover sensor exists. :lol3
    No pics. However, my Ginger threw me to the ground in slow deep sand. The wheels ended up above the handlebars. Rollover kill worked great. I had to cycle the power to start up again.

I've decided that feature will stay on my bike. :wink:

I'm totally satisfied with how my forks are working. The shock need TLC bad. Taking it off to give it to the surgeon this week. Forks I can do. Shocks are wayyyy over my head.
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Made up a set of these this weekend. Worked good .
    [​IMG]

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
  12. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I'm busy fitting the RR Evo 2 kit. After getting the principle bits fitted, I took it for a shake-down run. Everything was fine. Today messed around with getting the headlight aligned, getting fairings to fit and cleaned up the cockpit wiring.

When I wanted to take it for a run this evening, it started and idled fine. When I opened the throttle, it would either bog or flame out. It is possible to pick up revs when I open the throttle very slowly. Wicking it at any RPM causes a flame-out. It has fuel and no errors are display. All fuses OK.

Any ideas? I'm keen not to un-install everything. :puke1
  13. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    what is the offset of a 2011 KTM 690 r

Top clamp part # 765.01.034.031
    it has 30 top 32 Bottom stamped on the clamp

Is the adj offset realy 30/32 ?????

what happen to 20/22???
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Pinched fuel line?
  15. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I'm also leaning towards low fuel pressure.
  16. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike is a 2009 so I can't confirm that, but... 30/32 would make sense being that KTM claimed to have increased the steering lock, as long as the axle clamps were pulled back the same 10mm the rake/trail should be the same right?
  17. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with the rear wheel spacers on the sprocket side?
    I had this problem before, and I kind of ignored it. Now, I'm chaning my rear tire again and I was determined to remove the leftmost spacer.
    What a pain in the ass! I had to bang it out with a screwdriver and aluminum rod. I marred the spacer all up to holy hell!!

[​IMG]

Whoops....not a big deal,really.....
    [​IMG]

Why was I so determined? I wanted to see how effed my bearing where.
    They're ok, thankfully, but I did find some RUST!! Most bike aren't lubed for shit from the factory, and this bike is no exception....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dammit. Atleast the bearings spin fine....
    So then I greased those spacers up with some marine grease and attempted to stick them back into the sprocket hub.
    It's a tight fit! What the hell?! I had to tap them in with a mallet kind of hard!!! This seems really weird. The spacers have always slid in and out for every bike I've had, including another KTM.
    Is that what everybody else has to do??!!
    This means that for the next tire change, I'm going to have to go through all this crap again!! :becca
    It's such a tight fit, I'll have to struggle to get the spacers out again (even if I lubed them up)...for rust cleaning/bearing checking and re-lubing. :becca
    This is how I feel right now: :becca
  18. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    The research I have done so far and the very limited information available leads me to believe that the 690 stock springs are too soft for me (240 lb advanced rider) and the at the very least the forks are over damped for fast compression. So...from what I understand of suspensions: If the spring is too soft and the damping is too high, then the forks will feel harsh. If you go UP with spring rates, increase float slightly, soften high speed compression and progressively reduce bottoming resistance reduce the harshness at the limits of travel. I have been tending to start with 110mm air gap and add oil to get the best bottoming resistance, with the intention to work up to the best air gap to help reduce the progressive spring rate at max compression travel. I can state with a great level of assurance... my point of view on this is purely my opinion and is only based from learning and applying to my bikes. This tool has been a invaluable tool: http://www.shimrestackor.com/

Does anyone out there have a inventory of the shims in the different years of the forks and shocks that they would be willing to share?

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, I have to say that the Factory rally bike that I rode (thanks Steve) before I got my 690 was one of the things that led me to really really want one of these bikes. The factory race suspension is SO AMAZING on fast stutter bumps. The faster the bike is ridden, the better it gets and it REALLY likes it when you are on the power through all types of corners, just CLAMPS the bike to the earth. freaking amazing. HOWEVER... the "public" version of the 690 suspension is very much NOT what the rally bike is.... the next HOWEVER is I hope that I can manage to get the WP suspenders close to the factory stuff...
  19. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if the KTM Powerparts rad protection fits a 2012?
  20. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    That link looks great. I'll have to look at it more.
    As far as my forks go I came up with a stack using all the existing shims. Resorting the deck and removing a bunch. Sounds like what I did accomplishes what you noted. I did start with the .48 springs and 120 mm oil level. They felt great yesterday. I am considering going back to the .52 spring. I'll know more after I get the rear setup. The bike is so imbalanced now it is scary.

My rear shock is just plain foul. I can barely move the rear end. I pushed on a friends back end and it felt very much like my 525. I have my shock off and it will be gone thru and softened up this week.