Madison WI to MotoGP Indy meetup? aug 16-18

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by jcmcc, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill be damned if I miss another one if these so near me. Heres the deal- never been to a motogp event.. was planning on going with some buddies but theyve flaked. I'm going solo either way, but it'd be cool to cruise down with people or at least know some people in the area. I'm leaving Madison friday (the 16th) afternoon around 4pm and slabbing it on my wr250x.. I'm planning on camping but would be willing to go half on a motel. I'd be coming back sunday evening after the main event. Anyone interested???
  2. atomic frog

atomic frog pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer:
    You MUST get there. It is the pinnacle in 2 wheeled motorsports and you will have a blast!!

I was going to pass this year, as I went to the COTA event, but now you have me thinking...... If I can pull off the vacation time I would be willing to go ( I prefer to camp myself).

I'll be in touch.
  3. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah dude no way am I gonna miss it.. Ive heard too that the nightlife activities are just as fun as the daytime stuff:evil
  4. Klasjm

Klasjm R100gs

Oddometer:
    I have the Moto GP penciled in on my calendar. Good chance it will be the last Indy GP.

MotoGP 2013 Indianapolis - questions from a first time attendee

2013 Indianapolis MotoGP Rally (6th Annual) Aug 15-18

5. HR Puffinstuff

HR Puffinstuff aka hotrod

Oddometer:
    20 Brickyards in a row

16 iNdY 500

all the F-1 races

all the MotoGP races thus far

various IROC, Pirelli Challenge, etc. support races

i love iNdY

"find what you love, and let it kill ya'" - Kinky Friedman

i ain't dead yet, so i'm planning a solo trip for this race. I've never tripped it alone, but after 20 years, i'm willing to fake it.

Free camping if you want to go in on the porta-crapper. We've been told it'll be about $100, and we're splitting that 3 ways, so far. it's 5 or 6 blocks west of the track, so we normally walk (or stagger, as the case may be) back and forth, no extra parking $.

Do you have a route planned yet?

signed,
    Interested in Dekorra.
  6. 2Wheels4Soul

2Wheels4Soul Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

Oddometer:
    Went for the weekend a couple of years ago and had a blast.

One tip I can offer....a lot of the parking lots will drop the price substantially for motorcycles. It isn't always posted. I got parking right across the street for half off.
  7. jcmcc

jcmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The route is all slab.. at least on the way there.. I wanna book it there so I can pitch my tent and then party friday night. On the way back I may wander a bit depending on time.

If I pay the $30 or whatever for a camping spot, wouldn't I be able to leave my cycle and walk to the track (therefore avoiding a second parking fee)? Or are the camping lots super far away?
  8. HR Puffinstuff

HR Puffinstuff aka hotrod

Oddometer:
    there are a couple of camping lots close to the track.

we're a bit old-school, we camp in someone's yard, rather than be crammed in like cattle at one of the lots. the closer you are to the track, the more they get for the camping space, generally speaking.

5 or 6 blocks west of the track, so we normally walk (or stagger, as the case may be) back and forth, no extra parking $.

go I-90 instead of 94. the scenery ain't much, but the traffic is better than Milwaukee, and i think it's a few miles shorter, as well.
  9. dougfromindy

dougfromindy I smell premix

Oddometer:
    Its right across the street from the track....you can walk a few hundred feet unless you are too drunk :D No beer sales on sunday, stock up saturday or pay $8 fosters cans at track. yes, leave the bike at campsite.