Yet another "what racing bike thread"..

Discussion in 'Racing' started by canoli, Jun 28, 2013.

1. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Hate to do this but I could really use the help of the collective on this one.

I've been looking around at the very limited selection we have here in Central Australia and I think I've narrowed down my choices to either a Honda CRF 250X or possibly the Yamaha WR250R. I've tried a Honda CRF 450X and it was a bit too big for me. Tried a DRZ 250 and it and my current DR 650 are just too soft in every way. The KTM 530 I test rode the other day tried to kill me. There are 2 used WR450's for sale here but they want over $11,000 for them. :eek1

The bike needs to be 4 stroke, street legal ( so I can ride to the track) and as close to "race ready" as possible. Are there any other bikes I should be looking at?

Me:
    Never raced motorcycles a day in my life and want to give it a go (survive)
    5 ft 7 in
    160 lbs

Terrain: Deep desert sand & whoops…lots and lots of whoops.

Thanks,
    Canoli
  2. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your best bet is to contact a local racing organization, or riding club, and start visiting with the members. Someone is bound to have a used bike that they'd sell to an aspiring racer for a decent price.
  3. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    If you don't want spend money don't bother racing , if you get the race bug
    It's going to cost you , you will want the best of every thing you will want spares you will want tyres , why ... Well you don't want to enter a race and have some thing fail if you can't afford a mechanic you have to it your self ( it a good thing thou) but if you can't do it you self then you need a mechanic that cost $$$$

If you are going to buy a used bike plan a rebuild you never know what you are buying so buy new .

Dirt bike racing is cheap compared to super bikes at about $5000 per race weekend , were DB would be $500 + using new tyres entry fees fuel bla bla bla

Not saying it can't be done cheaper but that's what I would spend
  4. TedG540

TedG540 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a CRF250X, and a WR250R. If you plan on racing, the CRF250X wins hands down. The CRF250X is 50 lbs lighter, with a better suspension.
  5. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :thumb

Canoli
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My son had a KTM 350 EXC-F. It is street legal. He won a race in Baja with it. He now has a 450XC-W which is a real race bike. It is hard to ride because it has almost no flywheel and the motor hits very hard.

Hands down the 350 is a sweeter bike to do most things with. Very easy to ride well, according to him. Plus it's pretty fast.
  7. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm keeping my eye open for one of those as well. I hear the new 250 is also getting good reviews.

Canoli
  8. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have several friends with the KTM 350's and they love them. I will stick with my Crf450x though, it fits me and works great.
  9. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    If you're going to be racing in primarily deep sand and whoops a wide ratio trans will be big disadvantage and probably make the experience a little frustrating. I would look for a yz250f or 250sxf or xcf.
  10. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Nah it needs to be street legal. In OZ no green sticker = no plate. I'm heading to Sydney at the end of the month and will be checking out the shops for some used deals. :deal
  11. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Edit:
    Fuck it. Stepped up today and bought this.
    CRF 450 X with all the extra's.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help guys.

Canoli
  12. Chazzard

Chazzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey.. welcome to the 5'7" dudes riding a 450 with a seat height that is above our waist line.. club..

Here's the 450 I raced last weekend in Ukiah, Ca.. I got a third place..

I picked up this bike a year ago, august and this race was the first time I'd ridden it.. My biggest worry was that I couldn't start it up.. but it's not like the old XR600's that will take you to school every ride.... these kick right over when hot or cold with a couple turns of the throttle and a light kick.

I picked a # that was easy to make with tape.. I have to work on my 0's heheh.. :lol3

Attached Files:

13. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    if the Honda is street legal it's not even a comparison. the WRR is a nice bike.

for what I'm not sure...

racing it instead of an 250X? :cry
  14. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Chazzard thems some funny looking numbers but you get extra points for style. :lol3

Flug,
    I took the new (to me) bike out for 80 km run along the Finke track after work yesterday and WOW what an amazing machine. Much lighter then it looks and it made me look like a rock star (at least until I fell over trying to open a cattle fence). Going through the whoops I was able to ride the rear wheel for a bit and it flew through the deep sand sections. I'm sore as hell today and I still dont know how those front runners are able to get air off the dunes but I'm heading out again in the morning for another workout.

Thanks again.

Canoli
  15. Chazzard

Chazzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    heh, I should of picked 44..

16. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Quick update:

Learning to love this bike. Plenty of power, suspension handles the really rough stuff and as long as I dont have to stop on any hills I'm good. Might also need to pick up a steering damper but other than that it is good to go racing.

[​IMG]

Canoli